Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
...shy house cat into a Class B kitty?...
if he has a bed, toy, scratching post, pillow, cushion, blanket etc that he likes, move that into the van- and let him get acclimated.

maybe move him in there at his regular mealtime and lo and behold a dish of his favorite dinner is waiting for him

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
A little off topic, but any suggestions on how to convert our shy house cat into a Class B kitty? He cries and fights when we try to carry him two feet out the front door.
Take it for a few rides with you when you go to the store. Our cat would fight for a while and then hide under the seat. A few trips like that and they will get used to it and be jumping on your lap. Then you have to train them to stop disrupting your driving.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Cats are finicky creatures with walnut sized brains but very good memories. They know when something is up. We carry our cat out to the RV in a collapsible carrier so we try to leave it around the house open as much as possible and close all the doors in the house to narrow the search and grab. Have everything ready in the RV including food, water, litter box, blankets, etc. Create a safe refuge your cat can hide in. We usually endure about a half hour meowing and after that she always settles down. Our cat is strictly a house cat so we have not had too many problems. If we open the door she runs to the back of the B to her refuge spot. While underway and driving she likes the floor between the seats or the passenger's lap. We never let her jump on the driver's lap.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

And then there are those that literally put a leash on their cat and go for a walk.

Most cats are curious. Create an enclosed walkway from the house to the B, then open both house and B doors and give it some time.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 AM   #25
Site Team

So, when are they going to come out with a good robotic cat that you can just turn off and leave in the closet when you travel? With a walnut-sized brain, how hard could it be?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrowsparrow View Post
I've been watching some of the videos. I am a total novice, but I am liking the Zion SRT. Seems impossible to find a used one, especially in this area.
Since they have only been out for about a year, I doubt that there are any used ones out there anywhere... and they would cost nearly as much as a new one.

You might look at the Simplicity SRT, which is the cheaper version of the Zion SRT.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #27

This has been so much fun to read! Cats live in another dimension, I think; maybe that's why they like to stay in one place so when they come into our dimension, they always know where they are. I don't think there's an emoji for "just making stuff up." : -}

As for Sadie my dog, she's adopted and has "issues," so I don't leave her alone except in my house. I take her to as many places as I can, and I'm used to not being able to go out. I'm pretty much a shut-in due to health reasons, so doing something like this is a real challenge. Sadie is one reason I want to do some minor traveling. She (and I) love the outdoors. So I'd be traveling to state parks, mostly. I think the larger Texas state parks have electricity. I would NOT be traveling during the winter (which we don't seem to have anymore down here in South Texas) or the summer. And how long I would be staying in one place is variable. It would depend entirely on my energy level, but I know I wouldn't just be doing a turn-around, one-nighter. I'm guessing maybe three days in one place?

I didn't realize the Zion was new to the RV world. Thanks for the tip on Simplicity, mumkin! I'm still looking at videos, so there are miles to go...
narrowsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't realize the Zion was new to the RV world. Thanks for the tip on Simplicity, mumkin! I'm still looking at videos, so there are miles to go...
One warning about using the videos. They tend to make the inside of the rigs look much larger than they actually are. Not quite as much as those photos and videos on real estate websites, but... you don't really know what will work unless you can get in and out... and move around inside doing daily tasks. Adding the pup and kitty will add a whole other dynamic. LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
...They tend to make the inside of the rigs look much larger than they actually are. ...
Luckily many of the sales guys in the videos from dealers are 300 pounds...get that and the camera guy jostling for room gives a good sense of space!

Professional manufacturers videos are sometimes done making use of cutaway "sets" rather than actual RV's so as to make the most of...space

Mike
Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #30

...anything to sell the product!

Do y'all consider the manufacturer of the engine when looking at a motor home? Like Chevy vs. Ford. vs. Dodge?
Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:

Do y'all consider the manufacturer of the engine when looking at a motor home? Like Chevy vs. Ford. vs. Dodge?
yes, this is often discussed.

my perspective is that I do much of my routine work- so my oil change with Mobil 1 premium oil and Fram filter is going to be about $40- I have a little grease gun and can lube the chassis, suspension.
( the collected oil is returned for recycling)

Others are going to use a shop- dealer ( most expensive), independent ( most effective) chain quikylube ( most seen on tv news)- so have a cost component.

if a newer vehicle, where can you get warranty?- some brand dealers may decline as they don;t have a lift or knowledge of the conversion- THIS you need to evaluate before a new purchase.

new to the market vehicles will not have the support network - a little part needed in Pocatello could take a couple of days to get there...or is it coming from europe?

so I have a 2006 PW on a 2005 Chev. there are hundreds of thousands of these vans in the US, there are millions of GM's using the same motor type and transmission and rear end etc.
I have other gm's with shared parts and my manuals and tools for my pick up, work when servicing the van.

I can get serviced anywhere, by anyone.
Parts can be ordered through dealer network, autozone, napa, oreilly, pepboys etc.

other brands, newer models and those with imported components may not.

I have driven variants of the sprinter, promaster and transit. each may have advantages or features more common on newer generation vehicles, stability, brakes, lane departure warning, airbags*...which may have knock on effects, I have read that some models no longer swivel the seats because of the airbags.

there are also conveniences such as a back up camera- I added one for $75 from amazon in 1 hour.
infotainment systems...I am ok with the am/fm/cd in the van, I can play my ipod through it with an fm adapter.
I use my iphone for a gps/mapper.
( the very, very expensive info system option in my toyota crashes if you use the gps and change the radio station...)

Mike

* we all take for granted safety equipment standards and regulations- these apply to passenger vehicles.
Many pickup trucks, suv's and vans are not considered passenger vehicles.
Most campervans are built on a commercial chassis and may be subject to different regs for safety and emissions.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:

IMHO, Chevy is the one. Not because of the engine, but because of the comfort of driving.

I have read so many threads over the years complaining about handling issues with the old Dodges and many of even the new Fords (my 2004 Ford based conversion was a nightmare to drive in the mildest winds). Both can be improved with a significant amount of financial input... since we know that you can't do it yourself. (neither could I)

I have had two Chevy based rigs and both handled very well... easy to drive... easy to find someone who could work on it if needed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #33

Chevy, huh? Never woulda think it! (My dad is a Ford guy, at least really old Fords.) Thanks for the info. I can check out more used Chevy models now. Definitely not pursuing Mercedes...

Are the engines in these RV's the same engine that is used in their vans? Or the one from their trucks?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #34
Platinum Member

well, the 6.0 liter comes in various versions depending on the vehicle it is destined for- a 3500 series van or an escalade or any of the various pick up models.
there will be variations in cams and heads the goal of which is to favor a result of more horsepower ( speed) or torque ( pulling).

RT 170's may have the 4.8. I have that motor in my pickup and think it undersized for the wight of an RV. you may ( may) get 1 or 2 more mpg, but the price is paid over time as the smaller motor works harder and the transmission tends to "hunt" between gears on a grade

many owners like their Fords ( PW Excel is a ford).

I have rented plenty ford v10 passenger van and do not like it- the mpg* wasn;t very good.
and as before i already am up on the gm systems- it's like an android/ios or coke/pepsi thing

Mike

* as with safety regs, commercial chassis are not held to same MPG standards/regs
we get 15 to 16 mpg at 65 mph-ish
Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #35
Platinum Member

The most recent Chevies, still being made, have the van engines in them for RVs, which is a truck engine vs a small pickup or passenger vehicle. They are 4.8 or 6.0 displacement with cast iron block and aluminum heads. Very durable engines from all I have been able to find out. Variable valve timing started about 2008 in them and the six speed transmission around 2010.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #36

Apparently it is going to make more sense for me to rent. So I looked online to find Clas B rentals in San Antonio. There are two available, neither actually in San Antonio. It would cost $295 a day + the insurance + the gas. Does that seem right?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
Site Team

For RV rentals, take a look at AirBnB. You might just find something great at a reasonable price. That's how we found the rig we have reserved for our upcoming tour of the Iceland Ring Road.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
It would cost $295 a day + the insurance + the gas. Does that seem right?
Ouch.

I have no idea if that is a going rate- as i recall my rental in Ireland was closer to $100 a day + ins coverage of your choice estimated fuel costs for 10 days was about $120...lots of beach time, not too much driving!

Mike
Old 01-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #39

Avanti -- Air BnB was pretty high-dollar, but I'm not sure what else might have been included. Nice ride, but $355/night. Beyond me right now. I may have looked in the wrong place or something. Not much telling what I do on a computer...
Old 01-26-2017, 12:00 AM   #40
Platinum Member

I'm late to this thread because I just got home from my first solo trip. From that experience, I highly recommend KISS. Tanks are not necessarily a necessity. Plumbing is not necessarily a necessity. The simpler the unit, the less you have to pay for it, the less you have to learn, the less you have to maintain, the less you have to pay someone to fix.

My ClassB has a fridge and microwave. I carry meals from home and buy meals at delis, etc., to warm in the MW. No cooking or washing dishes. Emptying the toilet means emptying a garbage bag into the campground toilet, then putting the bag in the trash. Shower in the campground. I never needed more.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote