Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Have you ever had any transmission issues on any of your Sprinters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Unless you use your Sprinter as an everyday driver I think you can get way more miles on your brakes than the assumed average. I have now over 200,000 miles on three Sprinter RVs and never had brakes replaced nor felt I needed them replaced. My current Sprinter has 81,000 miles on it and the last service conducted about 7,000 miles ago the Sprinter dealer said the brakes were still good. I kind of maybe feel I am about to replace them. No matter what I said, that is a lot of miles. I have an average of 45 mph on all driving. That indicates I have a lot of miles without using brakes. I do wonder if the transmission will go first as I do a lot of downshifting in mountain driving in order to not ride my brakes. I rarely drive in snow living in Minnesota so road salt hopefully is not a factor. In winter I go south.
The Sprinter has a heavy duty "shiftable" transmission, I believe that they are designed to be able to shift down especially for mountain passes....why or what would make you think differently about this?

For maintenance sake, I would advise you to change your transmission fluid at least every 40,000 miles or sooner depending on how you use it. Just my two cents worth. It's generally less expensive than a transmission overhaul....

Besides, you don't want to experience a transmission failure.

I absolutely agree with you �� on the brakes..... when we're cruising on the road... miles just add up and there's little to no braking..... just ensure that your calipers are properly adjusted.... you definitely don't want those suckers wearing down your brakes.

Since I purchased my RV.. maybe they replaced the brakes just before I acquired it...who knows, at 45,000 miles I have 95 percent of brakes and rotors left....so, I could easily go another 20,000 miles....

You're probably more likely to get a new model before the transmission fails anyway. Correct?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I just came across this neat YouTube vid of what it is like inside a wheel:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-it-l...ive-1844576704

It is great what backyard gadgeteers can do. It also makes me want to keep the tire pressure up.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Tires are really miraculous for the abuse they survive. Even on a slow drive you can see the tread distortion. Imagine what's going on under our heavy class b's.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote