Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Default Best temporary fix a flat tire for Srinter 3500

I won't have a spare with me and in the event of picking up a nail or screw, I may need to temporarily fix it until I can get it properly repaired. What is the best fix in a can so to speak for a Sprinter 3500 Class B van?
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've used many cans of fix a flat over the years- the exact brand is not important- probably for a larger tire size you'd need 2 cans...

follow the directions.

after sealed, if you can swap a flat front to the rear- safer if it blows.

when going in for repair- WARN the shop that you have used fix flat- some formulations are flammable.

Mike
( who has a spare on the back- and a can of fix a flat)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Silver Member

If your rig has a tire pressure monitoring system both the owner's manual and the fix a flat will warn you about the risk of damaging the TPS sensor in the tire.

Given a choice when stranded without a spare I would take the risk. If there is a usable spare available I would tend to use that instead. Figure that a damaged TPS sensor is probably going to be a couple hundred dollars to have replaced at a facility that has access to the part and will work on your Sprinter.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

It sounds like I would be better off having the type of repair kit that uses a plug if I can find the source of the leak as opposed to the type that screws onto the air intake. Correct?
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sure- you may want to practice on an old tire in your driveway- I did, and i do carry a plug kit- but the fix a flat has been better.

either way i am not going to be driving past my first real repair option- my DIY fix is to get me to a better place.

- none of my vehicles use tire pressure monitoring systems.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Doesn't the Sprinter normally come with a standard air compressor and a bottle of TPMS compatible sealant that gets injected into the tire by the compressor to reinflate a flat tire?

At least that is shown in the owner's manual but I bought mine used and it was missing...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote