Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Default Best Toad for Roadtrek Adventurous?

I'm looking at a 2016 Honda Fit (manual trans) with Blue Ox system. Thoughts or experience?
Kiotejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Have you considered bicycles instead? The RS is so small and versatile you can drive it around anywhere..... towing an extra vehicle is a big hassle for backing up ... Besides, towing a vehicle will slow you down and affect your MPG.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
Bronze Member

As an avid cyclist (amateur racing), i do not speak from own experience, and it will be frowned upon by my buddies that I am advocating them, but i hear the electric bikes are the new thing. They increase your radius and speed drastically.
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Something small like a Fit would be a good choice. I have seen people who tow Smart Cars but most cannot be towed 4 down and need a dolly.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Have you considered bicycles instead? The RS is so small and versatile you can drive it around anywhere..... towing an extra vehicle is a big hassle for backing up ... Besides, towing a vehicle will slow you down and affect your MPG.
Not so sure - our PW Plateau FL with bike/cargo rack on the back was about 26ft and created problems parking in some locations. In malls where we could fnd double spots it was fine, or in back in spots where clearance was ok to back the rack over the curb ok - but we did have some issues on our first long trip - 45 days in Florida.

Taking the racks off would have helped some but not entirely, and would be a hassle as we moved every week or so.

I am thinking about a toad now for our next long trip! Haven't decided yet but "My Mrs" likes the idea. I know there are some downsides.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henknoordermeer View Post
As an avid cyclist (amateur racing), i do not speak from own experience, and it will be frowned upon by my buddies that I am advocating them, but i hear the electric bikes are the new thing. They increase your radius and speed drastically.
A good option - but I don't think it would work for us.

I have a bike rack on a Wilco Off Road hitchswing on the back of our Plateau FL, inc combination with a cargo rack. This puts our mountain bikes fairly high and at our advanced years and not being very large, it is a fair lift even though out bikes are only maybe 35 lbs. I think electric bikes would be nearly double that weight and a bit too much for this old (and small!) geezer!

Brian
Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiotejames View Post
I'm looking at a 2016 Honda Fit (manual trans) with Blue Ox system. Thoughts or experience?
Check the year - the newer Honda Fit is not approved by Honda for towing I don't think not sure what year that changed - I thought it might have been 2015.

If warrantee is not an issue then "fill yer boots!"

Minis are not approved at all for towing but many folks seem to tow manual tranny models without issue.

I have been thinking about a jeep but it is getting up near max wt for towing withe the MB. Also looking at Chev Equinox, I think maybe 1000 Lb less - only certain models can be flat towed though. I don't want to get involved with a dolly.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<B-Guy>> View Post
A good option - but I don't think it would work for us.

I have a bike rack on a Wilco Off Road hitchswing on the back of our Plateau FL, inc combination with a cargo rack. This puts our mountain bikes fairly high and at our advanced years and not being very large, it is a fair lift even though out bikes are only maybe 35 lbs. I think electric bikes would be nearly double that weight and a bit too much for this old (and small!) geezer!

Brian
Hey there Brian,

I'm guessing that you really do want/need a car, but if not.....

My ebike weighs 60 pounds, does about 35 top speed, and can go up just about any incline from a standing stop. You can deal with 2 of those or lighter ebikes with the right set up and still open the backs doors of your B in seconds.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Old Chevy Trackers/Suzuki Sidekicks 2dr, and especially 4wd units are a hot item for toads. Only about 2600lbs with 4wd. You'll need the manual.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Silver Member

I towed a Jeep, Caddy SRX, Saturn SW2 and Mini Cooper with my 34 foot gas Winnie. The Saturn was so light I didn't know it was back there. Same with the Cooper.

The Jeep and the Caddy were SERIOUSLY heavy. Not recommended. I CERTAINLY wouldn't try with my 16P190.

The Fit fits. Probably what I would choose.

Steve
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Here's my toad that I drag behind my 12 RT 190P, when we snowbird to FL. It's a 16 Chevy Sonic LTZ hatchback with automatic transmission. It weighs around 3K lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190128_104441.jpg (1.38 MB, 13 views)
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Check Craigslist for used tow cars that already have the tow brackets installed. Most are small cars that are manual shift. Example: https://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs...860243653.html https://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs...852713668.html

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiotejames View Post
I just drove my Jeep JKU to Georgia from Iowa to pick up an '04 AS Interstate on the T1N chassis and towed the Jeep the 850 miles back home. The van hardly knew it was there, and I still averaged 20 mpg (well, to be accurate, 19.8/19.9 mpg) for the trip home towing the Jeep. Anything smaller like a Fit or a Smart Car would be even easier to tow, but probably not much.

I like towing a car (depending on where I'm going and how long I'll be out) because it provides extra storage space as well as the ability to be more mobile while I'm parked somewhere. Towing a Jeep also allows me to more easily explore the back country (which is what I enjoy) while leaving the van or Super-C as 'base camp.' Whether or not I have a towed, I also carry a Brompton H6L for those short trips to for groceries or other supplies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2795.jpg (239.6 KB, 14 views)
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #14

If you want to tow 4 down, which is the preferred towing method, I think it's hard to beat the Jeep toad recommendation because most all 4WD Jeeps can be towed 4 down. I think the possible exception is the Renegade. But quite a few small manual shift cars can be towed. Check out REMCO's website as they have a database of tow-able cars.

I'll also second having a second car available when traveling and camping. There's nothing worse than pulling out of a campsite to go buy groceries and finding someone else in your campsite, or to find things missing because people think you've left...been there done that.

Patrick
patjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #15

I tow a 1992 Jeep Wrangler. The Stowmaster 5,000 has a ball-mounted hitch that makes attaching/detaching quick and easy. The Jeep is only 3,000lbs. On our last trip to Arizona, Utah, and NM, we explored 100 miles of territory we never would have seen without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-01-22 16.38.05.jpg (311.3 KB, 7 views)
Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

I just completed a 2012 fiat 500 pop manual transmission. Towed it 4,000 miles flawlessly, took out the rear seat backs and it is our storage and transportation all in one. The fiat is only 2300 lbs and pulls nicely behind our airstream interstate. FYI another option.
Asriverdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #17
Platinum Member

We travel with either regular bikes or e-bikes (I bought one for my wife several years ago and although I am an avid rider I joined the dark side last year; there is something to be said about taking the hills out of the ride). We keep the bikes plus chairs and far to much ‘crap’ that we often don’t use in a Lets-go-Aero gearspace 34 cargo container. Everything is secure, out of sight and fully hidden. We have had 3 bikes in the cargo container, 2 mounted and 3rd beside other 2 with pedals removed.

Rather than the expense of a TOAD and all that goes with it, if we need or want a vehicle somewhere we just rent one for a day or two. Theres usually always somewhere to rent a vehicle and even in those places that there is no regular car rental agency there is always uhaul for a pickup truck Save on fuel and overall wear and tear on tow vehicle let alone parking and reversing issues.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #18
Bronze Member

I had a 2016 manual transmission Honda Fit that I primarily used to tow with a Class C. When I got a Roadtrek, I only occasionally towed it without any problems. Loved that Fit! Its a great tow vehicle and tracks well.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote