Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 12:41 AM   #41
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
My Roadtrek is out of warranty. And as you know, a majority of the things that break are off the shelf parts. Value impact to me is minimal as I anticipate keeping it for a long time.

I have read many posts by Booster and find them useful and reliable. Right up until the word Roadtrek/EHGNA is mentioned where the rant about management and Etrek is sure to be mentioned again.
Sure hope so, can it be overstated?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post

Thanks - those links work. Since this thread is about the EcoTrek I see that KS2 has $7M of unsecured debt on that creditors list.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks - those links work. Since this thread is about the EcoTrek I see that KS2 has $7M of unsecured debt on that creditors list.
Wellllllllllll, cr^p Boxster! How does KS2 survive that?

If they go down, who will service EcoTreks?

This Roadtrek debacle just gets worse and worse.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
One of the employees from EHGNA mentioned that Anthony Scappaticci, the President of KS2, is the mythical cousin of Jim H. who, according to the legend spread here on the forum, designed the Ecotrek. It seems he is not really a relative, just how Jim referred to him...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:39 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
One of the employees from EHGNA mentioned that Anthony Scappaticci, the President of KS2, is the mythical cousin of Jim H. who, according to the legend spread here on the forum, designed the Ecotrek. It seems he is not really a relative, just how Jim referred to him...

I thought the original story that went around, I think mentioned by Hammill someplace but repeated here, was that it was his nephew who was student at MIT and they did the design as a student project, allegedly with guidance from someone who had some kind of tie to Tesla. It was quite a while ago, but the story is probably somewhere in one of the old discussions.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:42 AM   #46
Platinum Member

.....student at MIT and they did the design as a student project......

I am curious if the folklore ever mentioned what grade the student was given for the project.
MobileCabin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #47
Platinum Member

First report I have seen of the process for getting an Ecotrek replaced now that there is no warranty...

————

I talked to a dealer about replacing a faulty Ecotrek. To swap out the old core and replace with a new module and they send the old core back to KS2 would be around $900 plus labor & taxes and I would then have a 3 year warranty on the new module.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
First report I have seen of the process for getting an Ecotrek replaced now that there is no warranty...

————

I talked to a dealer about replacing a faulty Ecotrek. To swap out the old core and replace with a new module and they send the old core back to KS2 would be around $900 plus labor & taxes and I would then have a 3 year warranty on the new module.

That really isn't all that bad and similar to the cost of a drop in lithium battery,
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #49
Silver Member

With the scores of dead EcoTreks out there it would not surprise me if they just revive/rebuild them and send them back out as new.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That really isn't all that bad and similar to the cost of a drop in lithium battery,
That is a 200 AH battery module so much less than a drop in, I think Battle Borns are about $1000 for a 100 AH.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
With the scores of dead EcoTreks out there it would not surprise me if they just revive/rebuild them and send them back out as new.
I don’t know if they are claiming they are new or refurbished at that price but they do have a 3 year warranty.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #52
Bronze Member

My first RT was a 2007 190 Popular with Chevy 3500 Chassis. Had it 10 years and 160 miles. In that time lube, oil and filter. Never in the shop for repairs that's a at-a-boy to Chevy. Did do 1 set of tires and shocks.When I traded it in had the original brakes. Never had any RT work in the 10 years as it needed none.

Went to the RV show with wife to look Walked away with 2017 CS Adventures XL 4x4 800 AH system, Espar and Alde system, on the Mercedes Chassis.

March of last year I did have problem with the Espar and Alde system but all that was taken care of by warranty.

Last Month in Spokane, WA lost the UHG belt. R&R RV replace the belt with a Napa part. At that time they checked the batteries and recommend they be replace. They Contacted RT and RT send 4 new batteries and they replace them. All the Ecotrek where fine. All covered under warranty.

Of course now my Microgreen inverter 110 volt side died. Called Microgreen they have none and do not make them anymore. I did call KS2 and they want $635 plus shipping for a 3000 watt inverter. They have the 110 Volt and DC hook up on the same side as the MG has the DC on one side and the 110 V on the other side. Will have to extend the input and output wires if I go with the KS2.

Got a price from local RV service dealer $1675 includes inverter, shipping and install.

Wife still loves this RT. All RV's have problems, I know I owned a top of the line Class A.

Life goes on, just enjoy your time in your RV.

Steve
goodtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #53
Platinum Member

You have an opportunity to upgrade the inverter to a top of line brand that will have a detailed owners manual, programmable features, warranty, customer support and likely have parts available to repair it rather than replace it if needed in the future.

Take a look at the downloadable owner manuals for Outback, Magnum & Samlex for example and compare them to the manual KS2 can send to you. Compare features and specs and warranty.

The better inverter chargers will probably add $1,000 or more to the prices you've been quoted.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #54
Bronze Member

MP
Will look into that thanks for the information.
Steve
goodtogo is offline   Reply With Quote