Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #161
Platinum Member

Default Called the California Highway Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'm guessing that you could be ticketed - or at least given a warning - about license plate visibility, but it may never happen!

Similar to the 20 years I spent carrying bikes on the front of our trucks. I believe technically you are not supposed to have anything that obstructs vision in any way, or blocks your headlights. But I never had any issues of that whole period of time.

I'd likely take my chances too with the license - and then certainly, I would fix it, if I ever did get a ticket or warning - but that's me!

It should not be difficult to relocate the license plate

In fact Wilco offer a license plate relocation attachment for their "Hitchswing" even an LED license plate light.

I am awaiting a bit more info from Hitch swing at the moment. I would like to leave the swing mechanism on the van and just remove the bike rack when not using it for a while.

However, the design of the Hitchswing is such that it raises the swinging
2" receiver about 5" (It retains the normal receiver position as well so you actually have 2 accessible receivers) so I don't know if the higher receiver would block the door even without bikes on it, meaning you would have to swing it aside each and every time you wanted to open the back doors.

That is not an issue with the Kuat because the receiver is not raised from normal.

The Wilco has 350lb capacity though compared to 250lb I think for the Kuat.

I would like as much capacity as I can get, as I also intend to fabricate a small cargo tray just for a little weber bbq and a few light items to be carried aft of our two bikes.

The small cargo tray will be mounted to the bike rack via an added 1'1/4 hitch receiver I will likely clamp onto the bike rack's 2" drawbar, and so, will move on the same swing hitch along with the bikes. Of course te rack will be further out, but I doubt the cargo load will exceed 50lbs, and the rack maybe 25lbs. Our bikes weigh 25lbs each.

Brian.
BRIAN...BOB.....

GREAT NEWS... it's NOT a PROBLEM at all..... I called and talked with the California Highway Patrol... they said that as long as they can pull alongside you and see that you have a license plate it's not an issue.....

The Kuat Pivot Swing makes shifts the rack a distance away from the vehicle and the NV 2 rack gets attached to the Pivot Swing.....

SO... I'm going to go ahead and order the two items and have them installed... CASE CLOSED......the biggest pain of the whole thing is the $1,100....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #162
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
BRIAN...BOB.....

GREAT NEWS... it's NOT a PROBLEM at all..... I called and talked with the California Highway Patrol... they said that as long as they can pull alongside you and see that you have a license plate it's not an issue.....

The Kuat Pivot Swing makes shifts the rack a distance away from the vehicle and the NV 2 rack gets attached to the Pivot Swing.....

SO... I'm going to go ahead and order the two items and have them installed... CASE CLOSED......the biggest pain of the whole thing is the $1,100....
Well, $1,100 notwithstanding, you have the peace of mind that you likely have one of the best setups out there for your bike, all legal, approved, and with full warrantee! Your efforts paid off - and I learned something too and will likely wind up with a better arrangement than I otherwise would!

Enjoy! ........ Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #163
Platinum Member

Default Brian....I learned a long time ago that "price is only one factor"...

Quote:
Well, $1,100 notwithstanding, you have the peace of mind that you likely have one of the best setups out there for your bike, all legal, approved, and with full warrantee! Your efforts paid off - and I learned something too and will likely wind up with a better arrangement than I otherwise would!

Enjoy! ........ Brian.
BRIAN.... sometimes price is not the only thing... you have to consider if you can work with the people who provide the service ...or in this case make the product work for you....

In either case.... I have found a company and product that are willing to stand 100 percent behind what they sell....

I've seen the NV2..in person....I must tell you that the construction of this is a thing of beauty... yeah...it's not inexpensive...$650 for a bicycle rack ( holds two bikes) and can easily be expanded to four with an adapter is not cheap! BUT....the fit and finish on this is outstanding..... polished edges... almost too nice to fit on the road... durable...you bet!!!

And the additional Pivot Swing which is required for my Sprinter is another $295...
All of this plus tax..9.75 % where I live...and $30 for labor to install everything perfectly...brings the grand total of $1,065 or so.. yes.. might as well be $1,100....

Another bike shop wanted $100... forget that......

Here's the thing.. I want a turn key installation....once it's on my Sprinter it's done...
I have a single source responsibility ....and if the installation is faulty... I'll deal with them...REI is a huge company.... they'll get it right.....

I just have to make sure I install the bicycles correctly on the rack...

I like the fact that I can swing away the entire arm and access the rear doors...

I wouldn't want to have two separate products on my Sprinter ... divided repsonsbility..... never desirable... just me....

SO... what are you actually buying????

---MARK
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #164

View out the back is fine. I can see the bikes, but they don't block the traffic, because the rear view camera is mounted at the top above the back doors.
broyston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #165

I remember thinking I'd have to load the box with a LOT of stuff to be near the limit of the Stowaway II frame. No issues with weight.
broyston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #166
Bud
Platinum Member

"Bob, I noticed that with your bicycles on the vehicle... you can't see the license plate.... I'm not complaining... I don't need to see it... BUT... what about the highway patrol???"

Last year I forgot to move the license plate before driving off with a Stowaway II with a bicycle. Then, I just forgot about it. Now about 18,000 miles later in many different states from NC to ID, no problem. If I were stopped, my behavior determines a lot of the outcome.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #167
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
BRIAN.... sometimes price is not the only thing... you have to consider if you can work with the people who provide the service ...or in this case make the product work for you....

In either case.... I have found a company and product that are willing to stand 100 percent behind what they sell....

I've seen the NV2..in person....I must tell you that the construction of this is a thing of beauty... yeah...it's not inexpensive...$650 for a bicycle rack ( holds two bikes) and can easily be expanded to four with an adapter is not cheap! BUT....the fit and finish on this is outstanding..... polished edges... almost too nice to fit on the road... durable...you bet!!!

And the additional Pivot Swing which is required for my Sprinter is another $295...
All of this plus tax..9.75 % where I live...and $30 for labor to install everything perfectly...brings the grand total of $1,065 or so.. yes.. might as well be $1,100....

Another bike shop wanted $100... forget that......

Here's the thing.. I want a turn key installation....once it's on my Sprinter it's done...
I have a single source responsibility ....and if the installation is faulty... I'll deal with them...REI is a huge company.... they'll get it right.....

I just have to make sure I install the bicycles correctly on the rack...

I like the fact that I can swing away the entire arm and access the rear doors...

I wouldn't want to have two separate products on my Sprinter ... divided repsonsbility..... never desirable... just me....

SO... what are you actually buying????

---MARK

Hi Mark,

Probably the higher capacity Wilco Offroad "Hitchswing" - as long as they confirm that I can leave it on the van and don't need to swing it aside every time I want to open the back doors (and that I can swing the doors right around to teh side of the van when just the Hitchswing is installed.

If not I will buy one of the other swing devices that won't interfere with the door when in its closed position. I think there are at least two other makes including Kuat.

I don't really ned the extra load capacity but want it good and strong as I d hope to weld myself up a little cargo rack that will become part of the ensemble and being as it will be cantilevered back beyond the two bikes it does add some extra stress to the hitch assembly (not so much to the rack itself.)

As for the rack, I will be sure to buy an RV approved one that is based on a 2" receiver for strength - as you have done. Certainly not one that is really made for for 1-1/4" and has an add-on adapter for a 2" receiver. There are quite a few of those around but I don't think any are RV approved.

Looks as though "Swagman" have three or four models that would fill the bill for us, all being "RV Approved" so they are should be strong enough.

A "Swagman RV approved hanging rack" (similar in design to the only kind we have ever used over the years) for three bikes goes for about $150US or less, and their two bike RV approved Platform hitches are in the $300-$400 range I think, including one that will carry 60 lb ebikes although I doubt we will ever get ebikes.

I'm going to bide my time for a bit yet, and maybe learn more while I wait as our 2019 PW isn't scheduled to arrive until 20 Sept - and it wouldn't surprise me if that date slips some! That seems to be what usually happens to me!

Hopefully we will at least have the new van to continue our annual "Snowbird" winter trips to the south as we have for the last 20 years!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 AM   #168
Platinum Member

Default My camera is near the license plate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by broyston View Post
View out the back is fine. I can see the bikes, but they don't block the traffic, because the rear view camera is mounted at the top above the back doors.

YES.. had a camera on the top.... couldn't see anything.... although, I may have to consider another secondary HD camera there... if it conflicts.. we'll see.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #169
Platinum Member

Default Bike rack final thoughts ... and change of mind ....

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Probably the higher capacity Wilco Offroad "Hitchswing" - as long as they confirm that I can leave it on the van and don't need to swing it aside every time I want to open the back doors (and that I can swing the doors right around to teh side of the van when just the Hitchswing is installed.

If not I will buy one of the other swing devices that won't interfere with the door when in its closed position. I think there are at least two other makes including Kuat.

I don't really ned the extra load capacity but want it good and strong as I d hope to weld myself up a little cargo rack that will become part of the ensemble and being as it will be cantilevered back beyond the two bikes it does add some extra stress to the hitch assembly (not so much to the rack itself.)

As for the rack, I will be sure to buy an RV approved one that is based on a 2" receiver for strength - as you have done. Certainly not one that is really made for for 1-1/4" and has an add-on adapter for a 2" receiver. There are quite a few of those around but I don't think any are RV approved.

Looks as though "Swagman" have three or four models that would fill the bill for us, all being "RV Approved" so they are should be strong enough.

A "Swagman RV approved hanging rack" (similar in design to the only kind we have ever used over the years) for three bikes goes for about $150US or less, and their two bike RV approved Platform hitches are in the $300-$400 range I think, including one that will carry 60 lb ebikes although I doubt we will ever get ebikes.

I'm going to bide my time for a bit yet, and maybe learn more while I wait as our 2019 PW isn't scheduled to arrive until 20 Sept - and it wouldn't surprise me if that date slips some! That seems to be what usually happens to me!

Hopefully we will at least have the new van to continue our annual "Snowbird" winter trips to the south as we have for the last 20 years!

Brian.
Hi Brian,

It was an interesting exercise going through all this and we've decided to hold off on buying a bicycle rack and pivot for now....

On further investigation... i discovered that the Kuat Pivot Swing and the NV2 would add an additional 3 feet to my rig.... and also, it would cost me at least $1,100 for the bicycle rack and another $500 for a new HD camera and installation.. SO... the total cost just to carry the two bicycles is another $1,600 .... I just spent $3,100 for suspension upgrades last month..

Plus, not to mention all that extra gear plus our two commuter bicycles would add another 160 pounds on the tail of the RS...

Rethinking this for a moment....

At least I know that there's a company out there... KUAT ... that will warranty and back up their product unconditionally on my vehicle..