Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Bilstein , fox , NAPA HD or other???

Hi
we have wanted to do some work on our suspension/handling and have been following a couple of the threats about what people have tried. we have a 2008 Chevy 3500 chassis with a roadtreck 210 popular
so, we think we're finally going to get started. Starting with four shocks all the way around. So, now it's just a question of who's. We don't mind putting a couple extra dollars into the shocks as long as it will yield a corresponding result.. We are looking at Bilstein , fox , NAPA HD or other??? does anybody have any other suggestions, or have tried the above, success?. It seems like Bilstein have been tried out more than some of the others? If anyone happens to have the correct model number for the Bilstein they have tried it would be a help to us.
It looked like one of the quotes for the Bilstein were about $100 apiece, does that sound right?
Always interested in any other suggestions.
Thanks in advance for any help
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Bilsteins are the best bet for most people, I think. Firm up the big bumps, softens the small ones quite well. They seem to work very well with Micheling MS2 or Defenders also based on most comments.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Gold Member

Bilstiens are the strong favorite. For my 2004 Chevy Express 3500 Roadtrek 190P I installed the only ones that Bilstein said would fit.

From the invoice:

SDTruckSprings
2 ea. 2003-2013 Chevy Express 3500, 2500 (Over 7,300 GVW) - Heavy Duty Bilstein Shock Absorber (Front) $186.90
2 ea. Bilstein 24-221948 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber $211.90

Availability on the fronts is not that good. Supplier confirmed that they had them in stock but they did not. Waited about a month. (Nobody else had them either).

I have heard of other people having trouble getting these front shocks. Hopefully Bilstien will get thier supply chain sorted out.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I replaced my 6 yr. old OEM shocks with Koni FSD's from shockwarehouse.com

Pricy, but like you, worth it to get desired results. I specifically did not want gas charged shocks. These improved the ride only slightly on good roads, but really control ride motions well on undulating surfaces.

I've head good things about Bilstein's as well. The good thing is any new shock is going to be an improvement.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Amazon seems to always have Bilstein's available, and their prices are good. Ron
Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I went with the Bilsteins 4600 series on my 2006 Chev 3500 Pleasure Way.

Best price at that time ( summer 2017) was tirerack.com

Bilstein 24-187435 @ $91 each for front

Bilstein 24-221948 @ $86 each for rear

Just looking now- amazon has better prices on both of these

this thread has my swapping story in post #23- about 3 hours in the driveway -it's an AZ van so no rusty bolts!

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...ns-6540-3.html
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Platinum Member

2015 190P just put in 4 Bilstein shocks. WOW!! Big difference in the ride... I still need to do tires and alignment, but for the first time, i can actually go down the road comfortably with one hand on the wheel...
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
2015 190P just put in 4 Bilstein shocks. WOW!! Big difference in the ride... I still need to do tires and alignment, but for the first time, i can actually go down the road comfortably with one hand on the wheel...
Congratulations! I get the same feeling when I replace shocks, buy new drill bits, or a new saw blade. You just don't realize how much some things wear out because it happens so gradually.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Koni FSD shocks worked wonders for me... I agree with you 1,000 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I replaced my 6 yr. old OEM shocks with Koni FSD's from shockwarehouse.com

Pricy, but like you, worth it to get desired results. I specifically did not want gas charged shocks. These improved the ride only slightly on good roads, but really control ride motions well on undulating surfaces.

I've head good things about Bilstein's as well. The good thing is any new shock is going to be an improvement.
I'm not familiar with the performance of the Bilstein shocks... however, I was advised by Super Steer in Grants Pass, Oregon to go with the Koni FSD shocks... They have been in business since 1961.. attend many RV shows and work with locally owned RV shops...

In addition, Super Steer develops their own products .. and has been working for years to control and improve steering stability for the RV industry..

I purchased new shocks, their proprietary steering rear trac bar and a Roadmaster anti-sway bar that was 2/3 larger than the original sway bar on my Mercedes Benz Sprinter.....

Results were amazing.... If you are having issues....call them...speak to Dave....he will be able to answer all of your questions......

You do not need to invest in air suspension.. overkill and too complicated....
It's just a phone call....888-898-3281.....

I was very glad I did.... GOOD LUCK...

https://supersteerparts.com/
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #10

We went with the Bilstein shocks. We also put an extra leaf in the back and a bigger spring in the front. There is some suggestions on Springs for the Roadtrek 210 on this site. We were looking for some extra elevation and got it plus better suspension.
Warmland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Yes, I understand.... it's a different suspension on the Chevy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmland View Post
We went with the Bilstein shocks. We also put an extra leaf in the back and a bigger spring in the front. There is some suggestions on Springs for the Roadtrek 210 on this site. We were looking for some extra elevation and got it plus better suspension.
Sure, maybe if I had the Chevy...I would have been given different advice...

I think it's all specific to your vehicle...

On the Mercedes Benz Sprinter... they advised the Koni FSD shocks........
Old 11-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

One thing to look for if you get Bilstein shocks is the insulators that go on top of the front shocks. At one time Bilsten supplied this hardware that was not OEM style, which ate out the rubber in no time. The last set I purchased did have OEM style insulators. This is what works: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nsulator,10887
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Are you planning on installing your own shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
One thing to look for if you get Bilstein shocks is the insulators that go on top of the front shocks. At one time Bilsten supplied this hardware that was not OEM style, which ate out the rubber in no time. The last set I purchased did have OEM style insulators. This is what works: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nsulator,10887
I had mine professionally installed.. if you're doing that.….a good shop will take care of this.

As for my situation. I think each setup has a tailored solution....I just went with the advice from my experts...... they provided everything I needed for a turn key solution.

My RV shop gave me a lifetime warranty on the shocks.....
Old 11-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Have any of you contemplated spring replacement as well? I have a 24 year old Dodge 1 ton van that i think has original equipment, and I'm trying to determine if I should replace springs as well as shocks. Over bumps it's like riding on a bulldozer; really rough. Thanks! Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Hmm...24 years old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
Have any of you contemplated spring replacement as well? I have a 24 year old Dodge 1 ton van that i think has original equipment, and I'm trying to determine if I should replace springs as well as shocks. Over bumps it's like riding on a bulldozer; really rough. Thanks! Leland
Hi Leland, Happy Thanksgiving....

I had an older car years ago...it was actually 11 years old but, I drove it a lot and had 200,000 miles on it.....the suspension actually got so bad that it settled into the frame and nothing could be done.....to make it right....not new shocks, springs or anything......

I'm sorry.. maybe you are here with your 24 years old vehicle? I personally don't like really old vehicles... they're just not as safe as newer ones.... could be time to retire it and find a replacement?

I don't have any intention of keeping my 2012 RS Adventurous RV more than 15 years... I'll probably sell it around the 9 or 10 years.......

I just replaced all the shocks, anti-sway and trac bar just last year....it's 7 years old...a 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter with the 2012 conversion....

I have a hard time getting myself thinking about a super long term ownership of something this expensive to maintain......

Don't know how long you've had your RV... maybe it's a short time and you're fixing it up.... my advice is don't go overboard...it's easy to do......I have spent a ton of money in just 18 months... but, I'm meticulous about making my vehicles work perfectly for me and being exactly what I need to feel safe and comfortable......

RVs are money pits.... They provide an emotional need for having the "experience".....not a good financial move......I know I will lose money..... Just like most cars...

On the other hand....we have had some AMAZING experiences with the RV.... could have not done this ....so, I'm glad I purchased it......

Always a trade off.... good luck with your RV and situation....by the way once rust starts...it's all over....I hope you're not having this too.....
Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! My rig is an old Sportsmobile but clean. No winters. I'll keep it going for now. Someday I'll upgrade! Lol sorry for sideways picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180720_181254.jpg (275.1 KB, 10 views)
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Pictures of my rig.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! My rig is an old Sportsmobile but clean. No winters. I'll keep it going for now. Someday I'll upgrade! Lol sorry for sideways picture!

Leland,

You're welcome.... enjoy...

Here's a few pictures of my 2012 RS Adventurous....

Rear sofa folds down to a king size bed ..we roll up a mattress topper and store it in the overhead rear cabinet...... very versatile arrangement.

Hopefully, the inside is as nice as the outside,..had it very long?

I'm sure you have a lot less money invested ....I kinda went overboard on my RV, but, we fell in love with the RV when we found it ...it was being traded in to the dealership
from the original owners...( they were trading up for a larger RV) when we went looking for a late model Winnebago Navion.... after I drove the larger Navion and the Roadtek I decided I wanted the Class B.... also my wife liked the lower price.,... even though it was a sacrifice on space.

The sales guy made a big point of telling me that the roof on the Navion...a 2016 model in 2017...was guaranteed for 10 years... but, not the seams.... I told him that the seams are the roof.. who is he kidding.... Plus, the Navion is a Class C and drives like a floating boat compared to the smaller class B...

During the first 18 months.. I had to get new batteries, two house, one starting .. new tires, new propane sensor, and a lot of other upgrades..... not to mention the shocks and suspension....But, I put 15,000 miles on it in the first year....at 18 to 20 MPG on the road..it's not breaking me on fuel...... pretty quiet as well.....

Trip across the USA last year was 11,000 miles.... really a great experience....

I really love my rig, but, it's extremely expensive to maintain...I think there's a five years cycle for this...

Send a picture of the interior space of your RV...

--Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170917_110834.jpg (291.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113723.jpg (228.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180611_113656.jpg (238.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:38 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Please, rsadventuous, stay on topic and quit rambling on about the same old worn out, unrelated to the topic, stories. You have now garbaged up another thread with many off topic pages of the same old tired diatribes.

This is getting to be ridiculous to say the least, and very detrimental to the usefulness of the forum.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Please, rsadventuous, stay on topic and quit rambling on about the same old worn out, unrelated to the topic, stories. You have now garbaged up another thread with many off topic pages of the same old tired diatribes.

This is getting to be ridiculous to say the least, and very detrimental to the usefulness of the forum.

A ... m ... e ... n!
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Leland, Happy Thanksgiving....

I had an older car years ago...it was actually 11 years old but, I drove it a lot and had 200,000 miles on it.....the suspension actually got so bad that it settled into the frame and nothing could be done.....to make it right....not new shocks, springs or anything......
???

Quote:
ditto
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote