Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Default Black Water Tank Repair-1991 Coach House 192TB

I've got a leaking black water tank. Starts a trickling leak when about 1/2 full. Seems that black water tank is located above grey water tank, so I can't see it.

Anybody ever replaced/repared one of these ?
1991 Coach house 192 TB

Factory is no help at all.

Could it be a fitting?

Thanks

Michael
mcashnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Black Water Tank Repair-1991 Coach House 192TB

Welcome to the forum. Forgive me for asking, but you're sure it's the tank itself, and not the blade discharge valve not closing properly? I've had the problem where, when I remove the cap from the discharge line, my hand gets sprayed. Changing out the 3" blade valve fixed that so good, I feel like having a pee every few minutes or so.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Gold Member

No doubt it will most likely have to come out to be repaired well if it is actually the tank that is leaking. If you can get it out, locate the leak, identify the material the tank is made from, fixing it would be reasonably easy. You will have to have access to the area all around where the leak is so you can prep it properly etc.

-Mike
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Did you get it fixed? If so, I'd like to know what you found.

I've discovered a leak under the bathroom area in mine (not a Coach House) and it is my guess that the toilet and shower pan will have to come out first. Hopefully any repairs can then be done. If that doesn't work I'll drop the tank. In mine, the leak must be near the top of the tank which is not accessible from under the van. Hopefully it is not even tank related but maybe a supply line under the floor there. I noticed the leak after testing the complete water system.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Maybe someone will learn from my adventure today. As I mentioned, there is leak under my van that comes from the area at the top of the black tank. I determined today that the leak only shows up when the plumbing system is under pressure. The leak is greater when I connect a hose from my house but it still leaks under pump pressure.

So it is not the black tank.

The water supply to the bathroom was run behind the side wall so I was convinced that it was leaking there and just happened to be running out where the bathroom drains go through the floor (shower drain or toilet drain). So I removed the side wall but the plumbing and insulation is all dry back there

My water heater is in the the rear corner of the van. I found a damp spot on the carpet in the corner. Now I suspect the leak just might originate with the water heater and the water travels under the plywood floor and exits at my drain cutout near the middle of the van.

I don't have a bypass on water heater but will install one tomorrow and bypass the water heater completely. Then I'll test the system again. If the system doesn't leak when the heater is bypassed then that means a new water heater for me because it is not leaking at the connections.

A black tank leak should smell but my tank was clean. It is stainless steel and shiny like new inside. Water from it probably wouldn't smell bad or so I surmised.

It is still a mystery leak for now but I'm getting closer to solving it. I figure I'd post this under the Black Tank Repair thread just in case someone else has a leak in that area. If it doesn't smell bad then maybe the leak originates somewhere else.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Confirmed. In my case, even though the water was dripping from under the bathroom on top of the black tank the actual leak originates at the water heater located in the rear corner of the van. The drip was about 7 feet from the source. I put the front of the van up on ramps to see if any water will drain out to the rear. So far no water is visible so hopefully it all leaked out. I'll leave the front up on ramps overnight.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Also, the van exhaust is right under the area where the drip was.......... I think a long drive is in order.......to dry it out of course. let's see........where will I go