Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Both my RV and car are due for emissions tests

If you mean fuel stabilizer, you can get it at Canadian Tire. Many folks on here who store their RVs over the winter
suggest adding it to a full tank before you bed down for the winter. It's supposed to stop the varnish problem.
I got some and tried adding it, then I found that I wanted to take the rig out for a drive every couple of weeks
to exercise the drive train. I assume the stuff helps anyway, and doesn't seem to affect the performance when I do
drive the RV.

RV - 2016 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE (Ford F53, Triton V10 3 valve, 6 speed transmission) - SOLD (sort of)
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
g1g
Platinum Member

I'll agree it is probably valve seals and after it runs it should check out OK. I heard that if you put synthetic oil in it that it can improve results because it is not a hydrocarbon. I cannot say for sure though

g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I hope so. Thanks for the opinion. It seems to be the most likely reason.
I'm not worried any longer, as it does seem to clean up after a minute or so.

Appreciate the input.
RV - 2016 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE (Ford F53, Triton V10 3 valve, 6 speed transmission) - SOLD (sort of)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #14

Yeah like someone said earlier best to avoid cheaper gas especially running up to your emissions test, you should be fine though!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Both vehicles passed their tests. Plates are now fully restickered!!!

However, something interesting was brought up at the GM dealer where I had the Roadtrek done.
There was some concern by the "service advisor" about the RGVW of the vehicle, before the test.
She said the door label plate was installed at the GM factory where the van was built, and didn't necessarily reflect the
true weight of the rig after the conversion. I told her I'd weighed it myself a an MTO Inspection Station,
and the weight was around 4000 KG, but she went running off to ask the "technicians" if they could do the
emissions test. Apparently, they could only do vehicles up to 4500KG/10000LB, as directed by the MTO.
I should add that I've had the RT there before for oil changes. They have a hoist that can lift it, no problem,
and I told her that as well.

Anyone know what that's about? Vehicle is too heavy, we're not allowed to test it?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Gold Member

Mike.
OK, now that everything is legal and it all works, get out of town before it snows again!

It's 83F here today!
Hallibagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Didn't I see you at the Town Hall meeting yesterday? Did you get to talk to the President?
I guess he doesn't RV?

Quit rubbing it in. It's going to set another record up here for Feb warmth at +10C.
So I don't need to leave (yet)!
Actually, I was talking to Julievojo last night and she mentioned the Daytona 500.
I actually considered jumping in the van and driving down for the weekend, but it's
a long drive, and we're targeting the end of the month for departure, unless the shuttle launch gets
pushed to the last weekend of Feb, then we might try to make it down for that.
How far/difficult is it for you to get to Dunedin from the Ft. Myers/Punta Gorda area?
We'll probably end up there as our starting point. Hope to catch a couple of Jays games.

ttyl.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
Platinum Member

RGVW is the maximum weight the vehicle can be in total. That includes fuel, luggage, water, people etc. Once your vehicle is over 10000lbs, a whole new set of rules com into play. A couple are: you must have a set of triangle reflectors withing the vehicle and a fire extinguisher over a certain rating. I was looking at a converted bus many years ago. I got it safetied and there was a bit more too it because of the weight. It would not pass without the triangle reflector kit and a fire extinguisher installed.

I have a class "C" and it weighed about 7500lbs when I drove over a weigh scale. The plate on the door still says max gross weight of 9500lbs. I think the person at the dealership didn't know what she was talking about. It's scarry to think she's working in an auto shop and doesn't know what the gross vehicle weight plate means.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Gold Member

Mike,

I did not go to the Obama love-in.

We are about 100 miles South of Tampa so it is quite a drag from Dunedin. Actually we can see the shuttle launches if it is a fairly clear day. No sound effects though. We only get them when the shuttle returns.

Surely it is hardly worth leaving at the end of February, we are beginning to think about returning, if the snow has melted!
Hallibagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
RGVW is the maximum weight the vehicle can be in total. That includes fuel, luggage, water, people etc. Once your vehicle is over 10000lbs, a whole new set of rules com into play. A couple are: you must have a set of triangle reflectors withing the vehicle and a fire extinguisher over a certain rating. I was looking at a converted bus many years ago. I got it safetied and there was a bit more too it because of the weight. It would not pass without the triangle reflector kit and a fire extinguisher installed.

I have a class "C" and it weighed about 7500lbs when I drove over a weigh scale. The plate on the door still says max gross weight of 9500lbs. I think the person at the dealership didn't know what she was talking about. It's scarry to think she's working in an auto shop and doesn't know what the gross vehicle weight plate means.
Maybe I didn't explain clearly. She knew what it was for, but assumed GM put it there not knowing how much the
van would weigh after Roadtrek converted it. She thought it must be over 10,000 lbs, I guess. I told her I'd run it
across the scales in Oakville one night and it was somewhere around 3900-4000 KGS, tanks empty, or almost, and
just us 2 inside. I told her they'd lifted it before, so it must have been under 10,000 lbs. as they said that was the
max their big lift would do. I have to admit, I was annoyed because they waited until I got there before raising the
red flags, and almost telling me they couldn't do it, knowing how big it was in advance. I made the appointment with
the service manager, and he didn't question it, but he wasn't around when I got there.
Thanks for the info on the heavier stuff. Interesting.