Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #21
Platinum Member

We're straying a bit from the topic, but here is part of the Citizens Arrest and Self Defense Act passed a few years ago.

Executive Summary - Bill C-26 (S.C. 2012 c. 9) Reforms to Self-Defence and Defence of Property: Technical Guide for Practitioners

Quote:
SELF-DEFENCE

34 (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if

(a) they believe on reasonable grounds that force is being used against them or another person or that a threat of force is being made against them or another person;
(b) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of defending or protecting themselves or the other person from that use or threat of force; and
(c) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances
Self defense is legal in Canada, but on to defend yourself or others from harm. You can't chase someone down and beat them up because they threatened you or were breaking into your house. It's a touchy subject, with some interpretation required by the courts/crown attorney.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:47 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Bought a bear spray last month at Canadian Tire. Had to sign a long form and listen to a pimply kid tell me when I couldn't use it.

After returning home I used my old out-dated bear spray for "training". Amazing how short the spray lasts, and also how bad the blow-back smells!

A can of hornet spray is likely a better solution to the problem we are discussing here. Same consequences, though.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #23

Is a pellet pistol or pellet rifle (eg C02 or air pump or spring powered) considered a firearm?
Vince H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Before the days of dog spray and bear spray, all of us that did a lot of cycling in the country (land of lots of aggressive farm dogs) carried a second small water bottle, or squirtgun, with ammonia water in it. It would stop dogs, or most anything else, right in their tracks.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #25
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince H View Post
Is a pellet pistol or pellet rifle (eg C02 or air pump or spring powered) considered a firearm?
The air gun is considered a firearm in Canada if it has a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 metres per second AND muzzle energy greater than 4.2 foot-pounds.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Seems we are reaching a point, as in Greece, with a law and regulation for everything, the public attitude there is; no worry, no matter what you do you are breaking a law or a regulation.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The air gun is considered a firearm in Canada if it has a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 metres per second AND muzzle energy greater than 4.2 foot-pounds.
That's about 500 ft./sec. I guess my Daisy Powerline Multi-Pump air rifle is too powerful at 750 ft./sec. I don't carry it anyway.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Hi Bruceper, Thanks for the infor.
John
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote