Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Buying a Class B

Buying a Class B Big budget or small.

I need everyone to contribute here. These are just my thoughts.

Obviously buying newer is easier. That is not not to say that choosing a particular new van is simple. I'd love to have the option to pick a new B van be fully recognize that it would be a challenge.

Ask the right questions if buying used. The expensive repairs:

Vehicle:
Engine.
Transmission.
Tires.
Ball Joints.
Brakes.
Suspension.
Rust.

Coach:
Generator
Fridge
Air Conditioner

Ball joints. I recently spent $1,200 on brakes and ball joints etc. on my '98 Dodge at a Dodge dealer. (not much choice around here)
A '94 Dodge Coach House I'm considering just got new upper ball joints. Generator doesn't work. Air Conditioner is suspect.
A '97 Dodge Pleasure-Way I'm looking at needs new brake calipers.
All three are just over 50,000 miles or 80,000 kms.

Class B's really hold their value better that other RV classes in my opinion.

Personally, I'd reserve $2,000 for unexpected repairs and upgrades if buying an older B.

There is great VPM - Value-per-Mile - to be had in a pre-owned Class B if obtained at the right price.

Buy new and enjoy if you have the means.

Buying the wrong RV can cost you major $$$$$$$$ I wish I had just kept my '04 Roadtrek. I've been hammered on the B+ and the C.

Thoughts?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Buying a Class B

I believe if I were in the market for a used B, it would be on a Chevy chassis, and a B that wasn't built during the RV down turn and a lot of folks were laid off. I say this in the vein that when they were working at full capacity there would have been less errors and probably better QA. I am firmly convinced that the 190 & 210 avenues would be best - then again I am just a little prejudiced, ha! Happy shopping Marko.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes, a RT 210 would be great. DW wants an enclosed (not aisle) shower this time around. Corners may have been cut during the downturn for sure. Less corners to cut in a B than a C I'd think as well.

From a buyers point of view:
1. Research. Know what you're looking at.

From a sellers point of view:
1. Track what is selling. That will prove your price.

Both parties:
1. Be aware of the scams showing "to good to be true" prices. They distort reality.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

When did the downturn start, 2008?

It seems like there could be a great number of age problems and old technology to overcome, in an RV that is more than 10 years old. I would probably narrow the search to something in the early 2000's.

I like the Roadtrek (big surprise). But for a B+, I think there may be better choices.

There are videos from a number of different RV builders, showing how their body structure is designed. I would review those videos, and choose the most sturdy build. I don't think Roadtrek has the strength (for the B+).

The Pleasure Way video shows the roof and wall structure of their class B+. It looks very stout.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The Sprinters hold their value exceptionally well mainly because it appears most hang onto them and there were not that many to begin with. We paid $63,000 in February 2006 and 60,000 miles and 5 years later it was for sale for $57,500 after we traded it in. MSRPs on new Sprinters rose about $30,000 also in those 5 years. I suspect you'll never find a bargain in a Sprinter so that might not be an option.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hey Davydd - I read every post back when you were deciding on the Sprinter based Pleasure-Way. You really analyzed it and came up with the right B based on your needs and the price. I was surprised that you got a new B after the PW but I bet the numbers made sense.

Back when I bought my '04 Roadtrek there was a Sprinter based Pleasure Way on the RV lot across from the RT dealer. It would have cost me $40,000 more.....

Guess what? I'm convinced that had I bought the Sprinter I'd still have it. I'm not saying one brand is better than the others. I am saying that choosing the right RV can save you money. I have almost lost that $40,000 on the B+ and the C. Hindsight is 20/20.

I can't wait to get another B.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Marko,

We had the Pleasure-Way Plateau for 5 years and it was an excellent B. I feel I made the right decision then based on what was available. After 5 years I developed actual knowledge, wants and needs from what I tended to do and the Great West Van Legend won hands down this time. Pleasure-Way actually regressed in my wants and needs if I were to buy a new one.

I suppose one could design their own B with Sportsmobile to get exactly what they want but I did not have the time or patience to go that route. Also, even though they say you can have anything you want, there were actually a lot of things you could not get and when all done they are not as worked out in great coordinated detail as the fixed option converters like P-W, RT, LTV and GWV. As it turned out GWV met all my criteria with just a few nitpicks.

I probably did as much research on the second go around but it might not have been as apparent. I didn't have to ask as many questions. I started working on getting a new B over a year ago.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote