Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Buying a used Class B

I’ve just sold a 30’ toy hauler and am now looking for a used Class B, 19-22’, with a rear or side rear door, under $15,000. This puts me in the late 1980’s and 1990’s vans. Having had the trailer I’m familiar with RV systems, but am a hopeless mechanic and almost all repair work will be done by the professionals. I’ve been looking on-line (primarily Craigslist) at the following: Chinook, TransVan, Born Free, American Cruiser, Travelcraft and Phoenix Cruiser. Like everyone, the higher the mpg the better and I’ve only seen one Class B with a diesel. I’m looking for advice on the relative merits of the above and the various Dodge/Ford/Chevy engines. Thanks for any direction you can give me. Al
boessmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Buying a used Class B

Some of the brands you listed would be thought of as B+ units or small Class C's. A little wider, taller and heavier than a normal Class B campervan. MPG would be less than a B van.
You should be able to find a nice RV with your budget. If I recall correctly I think I got my 1997 GMC Savana diesel with about 40,000 miles on the odometer for around $13,000 last year. I had to replace the tires, water heater, converter, radio & more though.

I get around 17 mpg with the diesel and gas Class B's can get 13 - 15 mpg so there really isn't much difference. Sprinters get great MPG but they are more expensive to buy.
A B+ or C might get 10 - 12 mpg.

Chinook & Born Free (B+ or C) are considered to be high quality units.
American Cruiser (B) seem to be sought after units. They sell quickly.

1998 & newer Dodge, 1997 & newer GMC/Chevy and 1997 & newer Fords will have a more modern cab with thicker steering wheel, rounded dash contours etc.

I'm not much of a mechanic so hopefully some other members will give you advice re: Dodge/Ford/Chevy engines.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks, Marco.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Since you're coming from a toy hauler and you're thinking side exit, I'm kinda thinking you want to trailer the toy with it... If it's gonna be more than 2000lb, be careful with the C's, their towing capacity is often very marginal, and even then, a long overhang on them, if the rating is generous will make it a PITA. Also across Ford Dodge and Chevy, there's good and bad years for transmissions, which you'll have more issues with than motors methinks, if you get the "wrong" one and tow with it. I'm on the hunt for a cheap B myself, but having dumb ideas about liking rolling around under vehicles, (That is until I do it ) I would just "eat" the tranny issue and put one of the "good" ones in when it came to it.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply and information. Actually, I'm not going to tow with it, although putting a scooter with rack on the back is an idea.