Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Buying LED Lamps Online

Anybody have suggestions as to a good place to buy LED replacement Lamps online. Prices vary and I'm sure the quality does too.
I will be changing all mine out as they are incandescent. Also my dimmer died on the halogen puck lights in the back so I will need one of those too that works with LEDS.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

my PW used the 1156 bulbs

I got bayonet to bipin converters and then used philips 12 volt leds very high quality led with a nice warm colour temp.
cost per lamp about $8 total

if that approach would work for you details in this thread along with pics:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...ulbs-5399.html

I don;t have dimmers- instead i use lower output bulbs in some poisitions and just turn on more lights if I want more light.
my total consumption with every led turned on ( never happens) is less than what 1 incandescent lamp used

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
my PW used the 1156 bulbs

I got bayonet to bipin converters and then used philips 12 volt leds very high quality led with a nice warm colour temp.
cost per lamp about $8 total

if that approach would work for you details in this thread along with pics:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...ulbs-5399.html

I don;t have dimmers- instead i use lower output bulbs in some poisitions and just turn on more lights if I want more light.
my total consumption with every led turned on ( never happens) is less than what 1 incandescent lamp used

Mike
$8 per lamp is about what the local stores sell for but I see them online for $3 or less. Quality has got to be different. Phillips make great quality lamps and worth the extra.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Quality has got to be different.
You may be right, but I am skeptical. An awful lot of the on-line stuff comes from the same Asian lines as the expensive brands. I have had poor luck with mechanical items such as cables, switches, etc. But I have generally had good luck with electronics. An LED either works or it doesn't. MAYBE there are lifespan differences, but I am betting not. And, in any event you would have to have a LOT of failures in order to make up the cost difference.

I guess if I were dealing with something that was very difficult to access, I might be tempted to buy name-brand stuff. Otherwise, I would just buy a few spares in case you have failures. You will end up way ahead, cost wise.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
An LED either works or it doesn't. MAYBE there are lifespan differences...
I tried something from walmart- first issue the colour temperature- the light was bright and harsh.

2nd, a couple of the leds starting flickering after maybe 5 hours use ( within the first week in the fixture over the galley)

the philips I tested in my landscape lighting for quite awhile before putting any in the van.

I still have yet to have a failure...in the yard or in the van

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #6
Platinum Member

What I have found out to look for is the voltage. If they are rated at 12v only, stay away, they will be over driven and flicker from over heating. Get lamps with a variable voltage input and life is good. My replacements are good for 8 to 30v, IIRC.

Yes, I learned this the hard way.$
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
What I have found out to look for is the voltage. If they are rated at 12v only, stay away, they will be over driven and flicker from over heating. Get lamps with a variable voltage input and life is good. My replacements are good for 8 to 30v, IIRC.

Yes, I learned this the hard way.$
Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #8

Depending on the application, voltage, resistance, color temperature and know telling what else comes into play. I personally hate the ones that have a blueish or green look to them. I first found out about M4 Products from watching the RV Geeks YouTube channel. I've bought some LED lights from them and so far I have been pleased with their products although they are usually more expensive. Here is their website:

M4 Products

You can also get a small 5% discount by using the Discount Code “rvgeeks5”.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Depending on the application, voltage, resistance, color temperature and know telling what else comes into play. I personally hate the ones that have a blueish or green look to them.
I agree. You can't beat halogen for light in residential type applications. LED's have finally come to a point that I would actually use them for anything other than general or task lighting..