Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Buying new from out of state - where to pay tax

I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but really don't know where else to ask since we are completely new to this. I do search the forum first, but apologize if this has been covered and I missed it.

We are considering buying a new coach from a dealer that is out of our state (California). When we buy it, I know we need to register it in our home state, but I don't know where I am supposed to pay the sales tax - where I live and register the coach - or where I bought it.

Anyone know?
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but really don't know where else to ask since we are completely new to this. I do search the forum first, but apologize if this has been covered and I missed it.

We are considering buying a new coach from a dealer that is out of our state (California). When we buy it, I know we need to register it in our home state, but I don't know where I am supposed to pay the sales tax - where I live and register the coach - or where I bought it.

Anyone know?
You pay the sales tax where you live. ie where you register the vehicle.

The dealer can arrange a temp lic and insurance.
They do this all the time; they should know the tax arrangement with every state. Some states are a bit more complicated than others. This is their business, they should be able to advise you on what to do.

ps. California is a pain.

oops... just noticed you are in Ca. LOL
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

There is a little known law in California...

-- you have 6 months to register a vehicle.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Oh, yes, California IS a pain. And expensive.

Probably won't wait six months to register, but it will take a few days to get home. My insurance company gives a grace period, but wants the vehicle registered asap and I don't want to risk having an accident and finding out they have a loophole...

The scariest part is that most of the dealers have TERRIBLE Yelp reviews. It's really scary to agree to buy something I can't see. Several reviews and comments I've found on the web indicate that dealers are not above selling the RV before you get there even if you have a contract. Their attitude is (correctly) that you are not going to come back to sue them for your travel expenses and they are more inclined to take the deal that's right in front of them.

On the other hand, it seems several people on this forum have purchased out of state and no one has related a horror story so it must go well most of the time.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Well... you are not making things easy for yourself.

For one, I would buy the most popular brands (say from the top 3), and the more popular models.
I always think ahead -- although it is not in my plan, but I will need to sell it one day. It will be easier to sell a popular brand, and you will likely get more of your money back.
Also, you will get better service from a volume brand than a fringe brand. Simply because they have a bigger dealer network and the mechanics are more familiar with the design.

You have a lot of cards stacked against you. You do not have to be in that position.

YMMV
Old 07-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

An RV is a big investment.

I would only buy from a reputable dealer.
I would want to see the RV. Preferably in a RV show where I can compare RVs to RVs.

I would buy off the lot if possible, instead of ordering and waiting.

I would fly out to see the RV, then decide.
If it does not work out, I might lose $1,000. It is better than committing sight unseen.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know where I am supposed to pay the sales tax - where I live and register the coach - or where I bought it.
Anyone know?
Start with the state board of equalization- also DMV

you will need a vehicle which conforms to CA emissions- not all new vehicles do.
most marques have CA spec and "49 State".

they can look up by VIN for you if you have that from the seller.

most dealers can help send you in the right direction and will tell you if the vehicle of interest conforms to CA- it's on a sticker right under the hood- they can also advise as to taxes - most dealers are required to collect sales taxes for their locality- it they don;t there needs to be paperwork in place to show the vehicle is going somewhere else

insurance- does your insurer KNOW you are talking about an RV and not just "a new car" ? most RV policies are specialty and not carried by same company as your car

don;t try any games- i guy i used to work for tried that and it cost him mightily.
bought his SUV in Nevada, lived in LA- got dinged for taxes and no reg and CA emissions

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 AM   #8
Platinum Member

If this is the Vista Cruiser mentioned in another thread, I would ask if you have actually been in one of that model? The first class b we ever looked at appears to be identical to the one in the other thread, and with the high bed, dark cabinets, and closed off windows, my somewhat claustrophobic wife could not be in it for more than a few seconds before she had to get out. Even I found it very tight inside, and hard to get up into the bed.

We have a Roadtrek C190P on the Chevy, which some say are too crowded, but she does not have any issues with it, even with the third seat replaced with and armoire, so it may be a good comparison of feeling.

Lots of storage under the bed in the Vista Cruiser, though.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone! That's helpful. It just seems like most of the dealers I research have lots of complaints (although, to be fair, they are often people who are unhappy with a USED coach that had undisclosed defects and/or they didn't like the service department, neither will apply here).

Sounds like I can provide a small deposit via credit card and then complete the sale after physically seeing the coach.

Mike, thanks for the DMV suggestion. I'm pretty sure all Transit vans are 49-state compliant, but I'll check. Also, I have discussed the purchase with my insurer so I'm good there. No funny business is intended but I AM capable of making an honest mistake so thanks for mentioning those things.

BBQ, I agree that I'm making this hard, but the only two offerings on the Transit are the Winnebago Paseo and the Coachmen Crossfit. The Paseo is a cross-coach sleeper, which won't work for us. There are only two Crossfit dealers in the state of California and they are so far away, we have to get on an airplane to get to them. It's a day to get there no matter where I go. Given that we have to travel anyway, I might as well look for a lower price. If taking a couple of days to get the van means we save $8,000, that is a far better hourly wage than I get in my day job!

Thanks everyone - I really do appreciate the insights!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:30 AM   #10
Platinum Member

If you are looking at the Vista Cruiser, I think it is also a cross sleeper. That is what the bump outs are for, to give enough room.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Actually, I'm looking at the Crossfit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22D.jpg (58.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I have had it both ways on the payment of Taxes. My firt RT. The RV Dealer notified VA and he collected and forwarded the tax money thru his DMV; in the second one, I again paid the selling dealer. Upon going to tag and title in VA, they seen where I paid the tax and issued my title and tags. As I have said before, I had no trouble with either RT...the first never seen an RV Dealer in the 8 years I had it; so far this one is doing fine. Ron
Old 07-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all Transit vans are 49-state compliant, but I'll check....
49 state compliant generally refers to those which are NOT compliant in CA.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Yikes! i will double-check!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Platinum Member

All the Promasters, Transits and Sprinters are 50 state compliant.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually, I'm looking at the Crossfit.
If the plan is to use the twin beds for sleeping, IMO, a 23" bed is too narrow.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Most newer vehicles are complaint with CA emissions these days. Older vehicles maybe not. I brought a car in from another state before, it wasn't that bad. You should ask though.

I recommend you buy the RV with the layout you want, it will determine how well you like it. I don't think it will hurt resale in California. Class Bs aren't hard to sell in California unless you ask way too much or it's in poor condition. They seem to sell much faster here than other parts of the country.

You can do a lot of travelling for that price difference!
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #18
Silver Member

Don't move to Oregon...but we don't pay any tax on auto or RV's, Trucks, etc. If you are a resident that is...and I am sure you know that.

Or you could make an offer for my house!
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Ha! Well, CA is expensive, but Oregon isn't far behind. As I recall, the lack of sales tax is made up by higher property taxes, but I haven't looked at it for a while.

My kid wants to settle somewhere on the West Coast when he gets back from overseas so we will be taking a trip up your way this fall. Actually, that's part of the reason I'd like to get the RV before then.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #20
Silver Member

You are correct about property taxes...at least in some of the larger cities..
and tell that to your Ca. friends..
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote