Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Cabinet storage space or room for extra passengers?

Our RS Adventurous has the optional armoire cabinets... allowing us more cabinet and organization space...we actually needed this on our USA trip last fall.

Some of you may have a "front lounge" with no additional seating.... just the driver's and passenger seats ......

My question is how do you manage with all your clothes and necessary gear for cleaning and food supplies.... even with all the overhead compartments.

If we were to eliminate both up front storage cabinets..one for hanging clothes and the other for supplies...we would only have one additional small closet in the back of the rig....

How do you manage that....???

We're thinking about trying that out with one cabinet and seeing how it works.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Over the years we have eliminated all hanging clothes with the exception of jackets and raincoats. We have a space for about four hanging jackets (8" width). We designed our own wardrobe cabinet with space for cubbies, a safe, and a flip down computer desk.

I try to manage my clothes in a single duffle bag and some travel bags we got from IKEA. If your out for more than two weeks, laundry time is a must.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Our RS Adventurous has the optional armoire cabinets... allowing us more cabinet and organization space...we actually needed this on our USA trip last fall.

Some of you may have a "front lounge" with no additional seating.... just the driver's and passenger seats ......

My question is how do you manage with all your clothes and necessary gear for cleaning and food supplies.... even with all the overhead compartments.

If we were to eliminate both up front storage cabinets..one for hanging clothes and the other for supplies...we would only have one additional small closet in the back of the rig....
Our old Airstream Interstate had a small and awkward hanging closet (the kind with the pull-out rod perpendicular to the door.) With our second rig, we designed in the largest conventional hanging closet that we could manage. It is all a matter of taste, but we see three big advantages to hanging closets: (1) Direct access to every item; (2) fewer wrinkling issues; and (3) the ability to pack in many items when necessary. Plus, we find the bottom of the closet very handy and flexible for storing larger items like cases of water and beer. This topic comes up periodically--opinions clearly vary. But, our formula is: closets for clothes, upper shelves for sundries, and a vertical pantry with wire shelves for food.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We have an 80/20 bar mounted at the rear between O/H cabinets for serving as a rear curtain slider and as a hanging “closet”. Our O/H cabinets have exactly 13.0 CF, about one ˝ is used for clothing and personal items and another half for lightweight kitchen staff and other miscellaneous items. For our camping style we have plenty of storage in 144” WB van except for bulky items like large chairs, BBQ, fire wood, large camping stove for which we sometimes use the StowAway II hitch cargo carrier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR92516-1.JPG (386.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR2636-1.JPG (498.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR2637-1.JPG (367.5 KB, 11 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I've also eliminated most hanging clothes when traveling in my van. But I did add a hanging bar in the back for jackets and occasional dress clothes if I'm heading to a family wedding. I also use my B-van to haul a lot of stuff. Here is photo of old carpeting going to the country landfill dump when I upgraded the floor in my bedroom to nailed down solid oak. The clothing bar can be seen in top of photo.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Gold Member

Yep, love that Stowaway.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Like the others, we don't hang any clothes, and have replaced the third set with a second armoir.

We also built a permanent bed that has the entire area under it clear wheelwell to wheelwell, so lots of spauce gained over the ridiculously space wasting power sofa.

I think this discussion is drifting more towards asking which is more important, storage or openness, which is a major decision that folks need to make.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Default Storage

Our 2008 RS came with both airmores and we sold the drivers side one and kept the passenger side one. We do hang clothes in both front and rear cabinets and have found this to be more than adequate in 92000 miles of travel. However, our longest trip has been five weeks and we do not take much additional stuff with us. Our biggest space problem is the refrigerator as we like to take food we have prepared,in advance rather than eating out. This mainly due to allergies.
Gary Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Yes, the refrigerator on the RS is a little smaller than we like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mn View Post
Our 2008 RS came with both airmores and we sold the drivers side one and kept the passenger side one. We do hang clothes in both front and rear cabinets and have found this to be more than adequate in 92000 miles of travel. However, our longest trip has been five weeks and we do not take much additional stuff with us. Our biggest space problem is the refrigerator as we like to take food we have prepared,in advance rather than eating out. This mainly due to allergies.
When we travel, we carry a Yeti 30 bag as an adjunct ... recently we took out one of the armoire cabinets ... on driver's side as well ..

I kind of like having the extra space up front especially if we want to set up the table.

Prepared food is nice... but, since you can do some light cooking in the rig.. the just shopping every couple of days could work if you're on the road.. at a campsite location.. this wouldn't work as well.

I think your vehicle is on the Sprinter 2500 chassis with single wheels in the back.. our model is on the 3500 platform.

WOW... 92,000 miles ... have you ever had any issues with the power steering pump or hose?? Just curious.... another person with a Winnebago Via and the Mercedes diesel told me this was an issue for him... maybe a one off.

Yeah, I'm thinking we just take too much stuff on trips and we had a lot hanging clothes in the extra cabinet.. having the seat there really opens up the space.

We're using the passenger side cabinet for some canned goods, cleaning supplies, and other stuff like towels.

Here's some pictures of our rig..

--Mark

Here's a picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside Roadtrek looking towards the bedroom sofa area.jpg (252.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 RS Adventurous 1.jpg (301.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Mark
Your rig inside is the same as ours. We like the space up front too. By prepared food I mean the my wife has celiac disease so she prepares/freezes food in advance she can cook while traveling. We do need to buy some food items along the way. We recently replaced our fridge with a 12/120 volt one which unfortunately is the same size. We lost too much food when the absorption three way just could not keep up. Yes we have the 3/4 ton model we have upgraded the rear suspension with more springs. Also beefed up the front with springs over the struts
We have replaced hoses, belts, and the water pump. We are close on brakes too. The A/C stopped working but was not leaking. After recharge it is fine. They say the system “loses” 0.1 lb of Freon a year so after 10 years one pound was enough to make it stop working. We also added a two gallon pressure tank just aft of the pump compartment so pump does not come on each time water is turned on. Also I swapped out the OEM DVD player for a blue ray and I disconnected all speakers since most did not work right. We use the TV speakers and are happy. Hopefully we are good on repairs for a while. ����
Gary
Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Silver Member

I'm going through the same quandary. 4 captains chairs VS 3 and using the drivers side captains chair space for more cabinetry.

On most RVs there is a small shelf over each passenger seat that's not too deep but is super strong.

Here's my though on the matter for a quick release clothing rod.

Two pipe clamps mounted to the underside with the opening facing out.

U shaped piece of pipe. The center of the U being as wide as needed, the ends just 8" deep. Slide the pipe in and voila, extra hanging storage. Pull it and toss it aside when not needed.

When a passenger needs the seat move the clothing.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Sounds good....

Quote:
Mark
Your rig inside is the same as ours. We like the space up front too. By prepared food I mean the my wife has celiac disease so she prepares/freezes food in advance she can cook while traveling. We do need to buy some food items along the way. We recently replaced our fridge with a 12/120 volt one which unfortunately is the same size. We lost too much food when the absorption three way just could not keep up. Yes we have the 3/4 ton model we have upgraded the rear suspension with more springs. Also beefed up the front with springs over the struts
We have replaced hoses, belts, and the water pump. We are close on brakes too. The A/C stopped working but was not leaking. After recharge it is fine. They say the system “loses” 0.1 lb of Freon a year so after 10 years one pound was enough to make it stop working. We also added a two gallon pressure tank just aft of the pump compartment so pump does not come on each time water is turned on. Also I swapped out the OEM DVD player for a blue ray and I disconnected all speakers since most did not work right. We use the TV speakers and are happy. Hopefully we are good on repairs for a while. ����
Gary
Gary,

Looks like you're getting great value from your 2008... SO, no power steering pump or hose problem??
Also, you mentioned that you are close to replacement for the brakes?? Would that be the first time...I would believe that if you were mostly doing highway miles....of course, stop and go traffic would be quite different...

So, on balance, except for general maintenance items like oil changes and consumables like belts and hoses... this 2008 has been really reliable and NOT cost you a fortune??

I had to upgrade my shocks, sway bar and added a trac bar for extra stability...

Plus a host of other upgrades....I think I'm set for a while.

--MARK
Old 06-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Default Storage

Quote:
Gary,

Looks like you're getting great value from your 2008... SO, no power steering pump or hose problem??
Also, you mentioned that you are close to replacement for the brakes?? Would that be the first time...I would believe that if you were mostly doing highway miles....of course, stop and go traffic would be quite different...

So, on balance, except for general maintenance items like oil changes and consumables like belts and hoses... this 2008 has been really reliable and NOT cost you a fortune??

I had to upgrade my shocks, sway bar and added a trac bar for extra stability...

Plus a host of other upgrades....I think I'm set for a while.

--MARK
Mark
I believe the power steering hose was replaced but not the pump itself. When I replace the brakes it will be the first time and yes most of our miles are on the road, however, since our weight is at the gross for the vehicle the brakes get a workout. I do use the shifter as much as possible to help with braking.
We have had other expenses so not sure our costs are that low. All glow plugs, front left hub due to stripped lug threads, macerator pump(reasonable), water pump and hoses and belts. Early on under warranty a drive shaft bearing failed, the sewer hose
And probably things I have forgotten. Yet we like the RS and would do it over again but would not want the current engines with DEF etc. Going forward I am concerned about the biodiesel fuel and potential problems it may cause. We check and change oil regularly to make certain we are not getting unburied fuel in the crankcase. My Freightliner service center says I should be ok.
Gary
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Power steering hose failure on other Via failed at 45,000 to 50,000 miles

Quote:
Mark
I believe the power steering hose was replaced but not the pump itself. When I replace the brakes it will be the first time and yes most of our miles are on the road, however, since our weight is at the gross for the vehicle the brakes get a workout. I do use the shifter as much as possible to help with braking.
We have had other expenses so not sure our costs are that low. All glow plugs, front left hub due to stripped lug threads, macerator pump(reasonable), water pump and hoses and belts. Early on under warranty a drive shaft bearing failed, the sewer hose
And probably things I have forgotten. Yet we like the RS and would do it over again but would not want the current engines with DEF etc. Going forward I am concerned about the biodiesel fuel and potential problems it may cause. We check and change oil regularly to make certain we are not getting unburied fuel in the crankcase. My Freightliner service center says I should be ok.
Gary

Thank you Gary... interestingly enough, my sewer hose cracked presumably due to weather conditions, it's a plastic of sorts, and had to get that replaced … no problems like the water pump, or macerator pump.. thank goodness.... and no drive shaft bearing... but, our rig is a 2011 Mercedes with the 2012 conversion...

We also had to replace the glow plugs... Mercedes said this was unusual around 30,000 miles... should last until 100,000 they say.

Can't really count belts, hoses, tires and brakes... those are on every vehicle.

The shocks and suspension upgrade made a huge improvement difference on my van...much more control and confidence in turning.....I would call this a repair... I don't think Mercedes figured that a conversion of this magnitude would change the dynamics of the vehicle... with all that extra equipment, tanks, generator, etc. I would say it was not fully equipped for that.
It cost me about $3,100 for all that stuff, Koni FSD, Roadmaster Sway Bar, and Super Steer Trac Bar. It was definitely worth it.

Couple of other people said... NO... should have done an air suspension... insanely expensive . I decided to not pay any attention to their comments.

Even though people like RT call it a 2012.... Mercedes calls it a 2011... that's fine.

Here's a handy website for you on the bio-diesel; someone else shared this with me... I'm not going to fret about it totally.

Retail Map - Biodiesel.org

YES, good going on the brakes...

--Mark

Lots of startup costs on my rig the first year.... I think and am hoping that this will settle down for a while.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Default Storage

Quote:
Thank you Gary... interestingly enough, my sewer hose cracked presumably due to weather conditions, it's a plastic of sorts, and had to get that replaced … no problems like the water pump, or macerator pump.. thank goodness.... and no drive shaft bearing... but, our rig is a 2011 Mercedes with the 2012 conversion...

We also had to replace the glow plugs... Mercedes said this was unusual around 30,000 miles... should last until 100,000 they say.

Can't really count belts, hoses, tires and brakes... those are on every vehicle.

The shocks and suspension upgrade made a huge improvement difference on my van...much more control and confidence in turning.....I would call this a repair... I don't think Mercedes figured that a conversion of this magnitude would change the dynamics of the vehicle... with all that extra equipment, tanks, generator, etc. I would say it was not fully equipped for that.
It cost me about $3,100 for all that stuff, Koni FSD, Roadmaster Sway Bar, and Super Steer Trac Bar. It was definitely worth it.

Couple of other people said... NO... should have done an air suspension... insanely expensive . I decided to not pay any attention to their comments.

Even though people like RT call it a 2012.... Mercedes calls it a 2011... that's fine.

Here's a handy website for you on the bio-diesel; someone else shared this with me... I'm not going to fret about it totally.

Retail Map - Biodiesel.org

YES, good going on the brakes...

--Mark

Lots of startup costs on my rig the first year.... I think and am hoping that this will settle down for a while.
Mark
You have done the suspension right. I think the air ones help with ride and that is what many are looking for. In my case it was gross vehicle wright. Your dual wheels have a big edge on my single before any changes we make. Mine had a single leaf spring as delivered and with the mod I did it has two more leafs and about 1200 lbs more capacity. It also raised the rear about two inches. . I do not plan to carry more just wanted some margin. My tires have way more capacity than I will ever use. I agree on tires, belts, and hoses are normal. Same with batteries which I replaced with AGMs. I have seen that biodiesel link. What I would like to see is one showing where no biodiesel is available.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Thanks.... just sent you a private message...

Quote:
Mark
You have done the suspension right. I think the air ones help with ride and that is what many are looking for. In my case it was gross vehicle wright. Your dual wheels have a big edge on my single before any changes we make. Mine had a single leaf spring as delivered and with the mod I did it has two more leafs and about 1200 lbs more capacity. It also raised the rear about two inches. . I do not plan to carry more just wanted some margin. My tires have way more capacity than I will ever use. I agree on tires, belts, and hoses are normal. Same with batteries which I replaced with AGMs. I have seen that biodiesel link. What I would like to see is one showing where no biodiesel is available.

Gary, I just sent a private message to you.... check it out and we can continue to connect...

---MARK