Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Default Camper Van w/ Passenger Capability

Hello All,

I have been doing some research regarding a DIY camper van from either a large passenger or cargo van. I do have a question regarding something I haven't really been able to find. I am looking for either tips or kits that can be "inserted" into the van for use when desired, such as for a bed, cooking, storage, etc., but can be easily removed when not in use. My intention is that I have a van usable as a passenger van in the times that I am not using it for camping purposes. I would also be interested in any ideas people have for a minimal conversion that is permanently in place, but preserves the passenger seating.

For my family situation, there are five of us, so I want to get a van that I can still use on the daily to cart kids around to all their stuff, but on weekends or out of town trips my wife and I can stay in the van when we aren't toting kids along (or kiddos can sleep outside).

Any and all info is much appreciated!!
tym_esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

the main thing with a DIY is standing room there isn;t any...a "conversion van" has more room- for the most part a "B" will have enough room to stand.

without standing room, you may as well plan on either cooking outdoors or at the rear doors, (kinda like a teardrop trailer), and just use the van for sleeping- remove seats, throw in a mattress and some plastic tubs for storage...a honda genny maybe, and probably a tent for the kids.

you can get where you want to go but need a raised roof to start with- with that comes a want for ventilation, maybe a/c.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

The RAM ProMaster has no passenger option.

The floor is not designed to mount chairs; there are no anchor points for seat belts or rails for chairs.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Correct. If I had wanted extra seating, I would have had it installed by a qualified shop. It is obviously doable, given that commercial up-fitters do it routinely. After that hurdle, your requirements are easily met DIY even in the 136" PM, which drives as well as my Corolla and is shorter than my Tundra.

No offense, Mike, but have you considered the volume of space in these modern vehicles? It's a whole new world.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Hymer recently developed a prototype/concept vehicle that sounds like what you are referring to. Remove seats and install modular system on the tracks. Definitely not DIY, but interesting.

Hymer adds modular flexibility to Mercedes V-Class camper van

I don't really think anyone out there has "kits" for DIY. You might find someone else who has done something similar and posted photos/info on the web.

If you go the semi-custom route, check out Sportsmobile or GTRV. Don't just see what they have on their webpages, call them and explain what you want. They might be able to help.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
No offense, Mike, but have you considered the volume of space in these modern vehicles? It's a whole new world.
yes, I'm thinking "standing room"- we've been renting transits for work and the reg pass version is a nice box, but no standing means use is limited.
( and I doubt I'd buy one- having a few thousand miles in the base rental pass version- the back up camera is very nice...other than that...meh.)

A high top van would have more capability- addressed earlier.

mike
Old 12-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
yes, I'm thinking "standing room"- we've been renting transits for work and the reg pass version is a nice box, but no standing means use is limited.
( and I doubt I'd buy one- having a few thousand miles in the base rental pass version- the back up camera is very nice...other than that...meh.)

A high top van would have more capability- addressed earlier.

mike
The Sprinter passenger vans are available with high roof and plenty of standing room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (35.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
you can get where you want to go but need a raised roof to start with
Yes, indeed !

Mike
Old 12-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Roadtrek RS has legal seating for 7 but you would be carrying around a lot of weight all the time and riding in far back is rough. Maybe get a Sprinter configured for passengers and take out the back bench seat and slide a custom bed in? What about having just what you want built by Sportsmobile.com? For a dream modular system take a look at this trailer. https://happiercamper.com/adaptiv/. Maybe you adapt their parts to fit in a van with some seats removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #10
Platinum Member

See if this link works - in French - a modular system for installing in vans. Scroll down to "Le Monde du Camping-Car" "Transformer son utilitaire en fourgon aménagé, sans faire tous les travaux soi-même… "

"Transform its utility in van fitted, without doing all the work yourself... the idea has the wind in its sails, to see the number of companies offering kits for improvements. Among them, VAN MANIA OFFERS 4 different types of kits. As an example, the kit north presented in this video costs 4200 €."

https://www.facebook.com/lemondeduca...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old 12-11-2016, 03:26 AM   #11
Platinum Member

That's pretty nifty- I like the bench to bed sliding slat system, I've seen that used before.

and dig that fridge!

Mike
Old 12-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Here is the link to the French company that makes these kits. Click on "Les Kits" and see their 4 layout options. Prices are 3400 to 4200€ ($3590 to $4435)

Van Mania aménage votre fourgon en camping car