Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Campskunks new (supersecretsystems)roadtrek

this is Campskunks article on his building of New special systems roadtrek. He does NOT tell all.

http://roadtreking.com/build-rv/
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Campskunks new (supersecretsystems)roadtrek

Hope he has lots of fun with it. I bet he's glad to be back on the road. Is this the 24hr AC runtime unit that Jim said could be built by October if he got a buyer or a different unit all together?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Hope he has lots of fun with it. I bet he's glad to be back on the road. Is this the 24hr AC runtime unit that Jim said could be built by October if he got a buyer or a different unit all together?

We don't know!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I guess I don't understand the point of an article that essentially tells you nothing, other than they let this guy help them build his RV.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I guess I don't understand the point of an article that essentially tells you nothing, other than they let this guy help them build his RV.

we read yours Wincrasher-lol
Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Pretty teasy,especially with no pics. I wonder ho long Roadtrek will be able to continue the super secret, bleeding edge, routine before folks start to get immune to it?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Don't need pictures or technical details as I can understand Roadtreks desire to hang on to their trade secrets for as long as possible. But how about just telling us what capabilities this supposed "secret" system has. I've already concluded that the main advances in RV electrics for the future will involve higher voltage DC system. Either 24, 36 or even 48 volt DC systems will improve efficiencies, reduce weight and cost of the systems involved. The SAE has long had a 40 volt DC initiative for automotive applications, but it was pretty much rendered obsolete by the move to high voltage hybrid cars. My Prius has a 300+ volt main battery and a little tiny 12 volt battery for the minimal automotive systems like ignition, lights and ventilation. The 12V battery is kept charged by a simple DC-to-DC converter. There is no 12V alternator on a Prius. All electricity is generated at the high voltage.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Speaking of hybrids, I just came across this article on Daimler/Freightliner hybrid electric trucks. I hope these engines hit the RV market in a big way.
http://www.daimler-trucksnorthamerica.c ... ctric.aspx
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
Platinum Member

more campskunk

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Still no mention of the new capabilities, under cover of a non-disclosure agreement. This is all just market hype by Roadtrek. Smart approach as it gets lots of interest.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #11
Platinum Member

So what is unique? Any guesses?

Since air conditioning was mentioned and there is no unit on the roof, I am guessing there is an in cabin marine type unit. They teased with photos of a couple of metal boxes and mentioned 24/7 air conditioning. Those boxes have shown up twice now. The first was when Jim Hammill first suggested them and then in Campskunk's mention of Davy off in the corner. Webasto has a Blue Cool unit that would fit in that box. There are some 12V semi truck air conditioners than can run a claimed 10 hours after engine shutoff.

With the solar panels on the roof they have the front wind deflector cowling but the panels themselves look very low profile instead of being on hiked up on carriers, so they may be low profile flex panels.

The other comment Hammill made was 100% guaranteeing there are AGM batteries in the B. He might have garbled his semantics but there is one AGM chassis battery in the Sprinter. If they aren't utilizing lithium-ion batteries they are hardly cutting edge and there doesn't seem to be any indication of accessible battery compartments which you would need for AGM.

They show cabinetry built in over the wheel wells that has to be at least 15" high and the Alde floor heating extending into the bed area. That indicates possibly higher than normal twin beds.

Campskunk mentioned the cabinetry latches. The push pull latches Roadtrek currently uses suck big time. All the talk on Roadtreking.com is how to overcome the rattles with magnetic latches. Their cabinets are hard to pull sometimes and you can't grip the Roadtrek smooth cylinder pulls very well. So my guess is they are upgrading them to easier grip push pulls or they are going to the marine style flip out pull latches.

Sleuthing is kind of a fun exercise.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I do not think this is the 24 hour air condtioner roadtrek.

Campskunk removed his air conditioner from his prior roadtrek 3 years ago. he said he never used it. wanted to use the space for storage.

Much like Davydd he follows cool weather . northern usa and canada in summer-florida in winter. I don't think this roadtrek has an air conditioner at all.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

They did show "Davy" off in the corner with that same metal box Hammill alluded to in an earlier post on 24/7 air conditioning. The box would be about the size that could hold a marine type in hull air conditioner. There seems to be way more solar panels than would be needed without air conditioning.

So, what do you think is unique? No matter what Campskunk did in the past would it not be a little short sighted not to send him out without air conditioning after making so much about it? Do you think they ever intended to install their experiment in a B and entrust it with someone that could come up with the money? Or are you in the camp that believes Roadtrek just blows smoke and teases?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Davydd-nobody at roadtrek including Campskunk has ever said that his was the 24 hour air conditioner one. my opinion is that it is not.

i pay attention to the roadtrek forum. campskunk did dump his air conditioner on his old roadtrek about 3 years ago for more space. he said he never used it prior to that time. he is a full timer who avoids hot areas like you. although he wanders somewhat he actually is a 1 season camper. he keeps moving to moderate climates. mostly canada in summer-florida in winter. h says he survived 50 brutal summers in florida so he knows when to be there and when to not
Old 10-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Davydd-nobody at roadtrek including Campskunk has ever said that his was the 24 hour air conditioner one. my opinion is that it is not.
They haven't said it didn't have an air conditioner either after it was noted there was none on the roof.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
They haven't said it didn't have an air conditioner either after it was noted there was none on the roof.

when and if campskunk posts again i will inform you. my opinion is still that it has no air conditioner. if it was anybody but campskunk i would say different
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
Platinum Member

So again, what do you think is unique about Campskunk's Roadtrek that they would blow so much smoke and tease?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
So again, what do you think is unique about Campskunk's Roadtrek that they would blow so much smoke and tease?
From what we have seen in the past, hype from Roadtrek is often exaggerated, and cloaked in super secrecy. As is said, "any attention is better than none", and they are playing all the "proprietary innovation" stuff to the max. Good short term marketing, who knows about long term.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

So, all the other conjecture aside, does it sound like JH has gifted a new custom Roadtrek unit to the campskunk family? As in "gratis, no charge, a freebie, as it were"? I got the impression that it was. If so, I'm speechless, and we all know how rare that is....
Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
So, all the other conjecture aside, does it sound like JH has gifted a new custom Roadtrek unit to the campskunk family? As in "gratis, no charge, a freebie, as it were"? If so, I'm speechless, and we all know how rare that is....

Jim Hammill is the president-but he does not own Roadtrek. if he gave a Roadtrek to someone don't you think employees and company might have issues.

I do think it could be'loaned out'as a tester. Roadtrek has tested new concepts with loaners in the past or Campskunk could have bought it at very good terms