Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Can a class b van tow a smart car?!!!!!!!!!

Hi all, can some one help please? I have a class B 1988 Dodge Xplorer 5.9 B-350 i would like to know if i can get a tow bar set up so i can tow a smart car. Also do you think the camper can handle the load with out over heating or other problems ?
Thanks, John
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Maybe this is a better idea?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machado11 View Post
Hi all, can some one help please? I have a class B 1988 Dodge Xplorer 5.9 B-350 i would like to know if i can get a tow bar set up so i can tow a smart car. Also do you think the camper can handle the load with out over heating or other problems ?
Thanks, John

You have to check your rig's GVWR and GCWR.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My guess is that it shouldn't be a problem. Gather the data BBQ noted as a starting point. Hopefully some Dodge owners will share some towing experience with you.

I know my GMC van could tow flat tow an '09 Ford Escape for example.

One thing to note is the stuff needed is expensive IMO. You may or may not need brake control depending on the laws where you plan to tow. I needed it and the tow bar and the parts for the car and some protection from rocks & stuff - not cheap.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Need a bit more info to assist you. What engine and transmission do you have? If you don't know then how about a photo of the data plate on the drivers side pillar that lists CGWR, GAWR, GVWR etc?

Some basic info on Dodge vans for your reading pleasure Dodge B-series vans, Ram Van, and Ram Wagon
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Also, check the year and powertrain for the Smart Car, some models are not towable 4 down so you need to use a tow dolly...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Also, check the year and powertrain for the Smart Car, some models are not towable 4 down so you need to use a tow dolly...
The 2016 model year needs a dolly. I don't know if the 2015 model can be towed 4 wheels down but older years can.

Smart Cars weigh somewhat less than 2000 lbs. I can't imagine any full size van not capable of that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:59 AM   #8
Silver Member

I'm interested in this too. Here's a snapshot of a RT170, 2001 dodge 2500, 5.2L v8. Towards the bottom are the weight stats.
RT-Dodge2500_5.2L.jpg
The sticker on my RT170van says GVWR at 7700-lbs but having a hard time finding info on the existing hitch - looks like it came with it from the factory. So, if GCWR is 12,500 there seems to be around 4800 to play with. That will probably keep going down depending on limitation of hitch, ccc, etc. I think the newer electric smartcars weighs in at around 2,100 lbs.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:21 AM   #9
Platinum Member

A 2001 is nothing like a 1988. The 88 was the first year of the Magnum in the vans and it may only be a three speed transmission. Makes a big difference.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #10

If the car is towable your van will handle it.
Marvin
GA_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default Towing a smart car with my 1988 Xplorer van !!!!!!!!!!

here are some pictures of my stickers on the side of the frame. It shows the GVWR and GAWR o[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]CAMPER VAN NUMBERS 004.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]n the FroCAMPER VAN NUMBERS 002.jpg

front and rear , what ever that means .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMPER VAN NUMBERS 008.jpg (167.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CAMPER VAN NUMBERS 011.jpg (103.9 KB, 4 views)
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #12
Platinum Member

You have a gross weight of 7500#, so that would include tongue weight. Didn't see a combined weight, so you could find towing max.

It did say standard duty brakes, and a 727 auto trans, which is normally a 3 speed, plus a 3.5 ratio rear axle ( pretty low ratio-most new Chevies are 4.11 for comparison).

If you tow slowly and the tow vehicle has braking enabled, you would probably be OK, but tough on big hills with that ratio rear axle, up to probably 2000#. Of course, this is just a SWAG on my part.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #13
Platinum Member

On the older dodges they didn't include GVWR. But, 7500# gross weight is good. As booster stated that is the maximum allowed vehicle weight plus gear, occupants and weight on the tongue paying attention to maximum front/rear weights.

The 727 is fantastic, it's a work horse of a transmission and designed for abuse (with some caveats!). You NEED a transmission cooler. Even if you're not towing I would recommend one. the A727 does not like to be hot. It's only a three speed so keeping closer to 55 is going to be better for your mileage.

5.9 Litre is great. That's a 360CI engine which was the largest available that year.

The 9.25" axle (differential) is OK. Nothing special, but not bad.

Can you tow a smart car? Yes, with brake assist. I might also step up to an E rated tire with the additional weight behind you.

As a note, that bottom picture that shows the transmission, axle etc. That is your option sheet. Carefully take it out and see if you can flatten it. Then scan it or take a picture of and put it back. This way you can have the info when you want it, while still keeping the original data with the vehicle.

Note - Some Dodge's I've seen have had upgrades that do not appear on the option sheet such as heavy duty brakes and oil coolers. These may have been dealer add ons or done by the upfitter.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Motohome Magazine posts an annual guide on which cars can be towed "4 down". Generally speaking, CVT automatics are a no go. Most manual transmission cars are OK. Some, but not all 4wds, but not any AWD cars.

The Wynns towed their Smart Car behind their motorhome for years without issue.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
::

The Wynns towed their Smart Car behind their motorhome for years without issue.
The Wynns had a video on how they tow their Smart car,
but I can't find the video anymore. They might have removed it.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

The video is still on the wynns site.
How To and How Not To Tow a Car Behind an RV
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote