Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Can anyone recommend a good transport company?

I'm considering purchasing a specific Ram Promaster Class B RV that I located in California, but I need to transport it to my state of residency, Oregon to avoid California sales tax. According to the rules in California, any purchase made for a vehicle must be transported out of state to bypass the tax. Does anyone know of a good transporter that will transport by trailer? I'm not interested in a driver. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

There are a lot of options, but what would you like the budget to be? If you say less than $750 then your best bet might be to fly there and drive back.

Call some of the large trucking companies in your state and ask for a price. It's something they do regularly.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
There are a lot of options, but what would you like the budget to be? If you say less than $750 then your best bet might be to fly there and drive back.
I'm willing to pay more for a actual trailer/flatbed. Driving it back is not a option as it requires me to pay sales tax. You have to have it transported/not driven across the state line and have documentation to prove you did so. I have bought cars and have done the same process. California is super strict around this regulation.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You can't pick it up and drive it out of state? That sucks. Sorry I didn't know that.

To make life easier, and get less run around, you need to look for an actual trucking company rather than third party logistics company. Unfortunately google shows logistics companies when doing a search but it's not the end of the search.

You can try getting a quote on uship and Amtrak has rail service that you can look into.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
I'm considering purchasing a specific Ram Promaster Class B RV that I located in California, but I need to transport it to my state of residency, Oregon to avoid California sales tax. According to the rules in California, any purchase made for a vehicle must be transported out of state to bypass the tax. Does anyone know of a good transporter that will transport by trailer? I'm not interested in a driver. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
It's perplexing. Many states have a process that permits you to purchase the vehicle for registering and titling out of state and provide a temporary registration and driving permit to accomplish this that exempts the buyer from sales tax. The buyer then pays the sales tax in the state where the coach is registered and titled and in the case of Oregon, there is no sales tax.

California charges sales tax for any vehicle purchased from a vendor unless the vehicle is delivered across the state line. They permit only two ways to effect the delivery:

1. Delivery by a driver who is employed by the vendor, or

2. Delivery by an common carrier.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
Silver Member

A friend of mine in Oregon recently purchased an RV in So Cal, registered it to Oregon and as soon as he got his Oregon plates he flew down, attached his places and drove home. Saved thousands in sales tax. I have heard of LA area dealers that will deliver out of state purchases to Las Vegas.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtown View Post
A friend of mine in Oregon recently purchased an RV in So Cal, registered it to Oregon and as soon as he got his Oregon plates he flew down, attached his places and drove home. Saved thousands in sales tax. I have heard of LA area dealers that will deliver out of state purchases to Las Vegas.
Yes, to make the sale,some California dealers will deliver out of state and if they actually absorb the transport costs without simply adding it to the sales price, it is indeed a plus..

However, your description of what your friend says he did doesn't appear to add up. Unless the vehicle he purchased was physically delivered out of California by a representative of the vendor or some common carrier, the California vendor is legally required to either charge the buyer sales tax or pay the sales tax himself.

Assuming your friend is a California resident, the description of what he presumably did seems problematic. First of all, with a few narrow exceptions, Oregon currently requires anyone registering a vehicle in Oregon to provide substantial documentation that they are residents of the state of Oregon. Even owning a property in Oregon is not sufficient to meet the requirement without submission of documentation like evidence of voter registration, utility bills, bank accounts etc. denoting a physical Oregon address etc.*

Oregon DMV Oregon Residency & Domicile

Even if your friend was successfully able to accomplish this, he ends up back in California with a vehicle registered in Oregon while operating it with a California driver's license. If stopped by a CHP officer who observes this, that officer can and may very well initiate a process that will ruin your friend's whole day. On the other hand, if the vehicle is successfully titled and registered in Oregon to someone other than himself, he can pretty much operate that vehicle in California till the wheels fall. But, with this scenario there is a potential for an insurance problem because while your friend certainly may pay for the insurance, the carrier more often than not will only issue a policy in the name of the vehicle owner.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #8
Silver Member

He is a resident of Oregon. Like I posted he registered it in Oregon and had plates in hand prior to taking delivery. I don't have all the specifics but I know he did not have to pay CA sales tax by registering at home prior to posession. I'm not here to argue the point just saying this is what he did.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtown View Post
He is a resident of Oregon.
I'm not here to argue the point just saying this is what he did.
I missed that in your previous post and if he's an Oregon resident you're right. Also, you can be a legal resident of more than one state. The problem is that these days, as far as I know, you can only get a driver's license in one state If he has an Oregon DL, it's case closed. He can drive it in CA to his heart's desire. But if you have a California DL with an Oregon vehicle registration in the same name, that's when you can get some stink-eye from the CHP.

In addition to the sales tax advantage, Oregon has very reasonable title and registration fees. Consequently, some folks in CA,NV and WA very understandably would register their vehicles there. But Oregon in recent years has clamped down on that and the highway patrols of the adjacent states keep a weather eye on Oregon plates, Washington and California in particular.