Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Default Can you use existing Car Jack on your Class B RVs?

I'm new to the RV world. I just bought a used 2001 Great West Classic Van. It's built on a 2001 Dodge Ram Van 3500. I was wondering if the existing car jacks would still be strong enough to lift the vehicle. I'm wondering since the vehicle is now heavier with Camper shell, kitchen, bathroom, etc built into it that the weight may exceed what the jack was designed for. Anyone with any knowledge or experience that it would still be safe or should I buy a 4 ton car jack??

Thanks,
Alan
alansam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can you use existing Car Jack on your Class B RVs?

you have some responses on another forum to your same question.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Is the jack going to be used for tire changing only? We use a 2 ton bottle jack to rotate our tires as we only lift one axle at a time. To answer your question, I don't even know where the OEM jack went. Try the jack that you have and see how well it works before buying a 4 ton. By the way, our rig is almost the same as yours.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've used the jack that came with the van and carry it in the van. I used to carry a bottle jack in other RV's that didn't come with a jack.
It's a good question My guess is that the jack is spec'd with the assumption of some load in the van but I don't know for certain.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

Thanks for all your responses. I ultimately decided on getting a 12 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight. It has a wide base so I don't have to fear it slipping or sliding. It also has a max height of 18 inches which is more than I need. Its weight capability is 3x more than enough so I don't have to worry about it breaking. It's small enough for me to stow away without taking up any precious space. Finally, using a 20% discount coupon, I got it for under $35.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes, the jack has to have a maximum height to get the wheel off the ground, but remember that it also also has to be short enough (when not extended) to fit under the lift point when a tire is flat.

There was no jack in our 2000 Roadtrek when we bought it used. I got a double ram bottle jack.The one I got has a 5 ton capacity and goes from 8.9" to 19.7".

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #7

Thanks WJones. that is a very good point which I recently learned when my RV had a blow out. It was in the rear and I couldn't place the jack near the tire but had to move it up closer to the rear differential. Luckily it fit under there and I was able to jack the wheel high enough to replace.