Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Carbon Monoxide detector beeping when I turn off the rig

I took my first RV trip (1200 Miles RT) this weekend (will post separately about my experience) and my carbon monoxide detector started beeping when I turn off the rig.

I am assuming that has something to do with the house batteries being drained? When I use the on board meter to check they show full, so I am a little baffled.

Your thoughts?

Also, do you have to be plugged in to use the furnace? I thought since it was gas I could run it without being plugged in.

Thanks,
Mark
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Don't know your details but....
If your CO detector uses the house batteries it may be beeping when 12 volt power is lost. One or two beeps as it goes down.

Yes the heater should work if you have the house power turned on. There is a disconnect switch someplace that may be turned off.

For more specific advice we will need more specifics about your systems.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
Don't know your details but....
If your CO detector uses the house batteries it may be beeping when 12 volt power is lost. One or two beeps as it goes down.
Yes this is exactly what it is doing.

Quote:
Yes the heater should work if you have the house power turned on. There is a disconnect switch someplace that may be turned off.
Hummm, I had the gas on and the coach off, but when I turned the heater on, it wouldn't work. Then I turned the coach on, and the heater started up, but as soon as I shut the coach off, the heater turned off with it.

Quote:
For more specific advice we will need more specifics about your systems.
What more do you need to know? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

What brand and model of RV? What brand of heater.

It seems you have power when the engine battery is connected to the house (ignition on).

There is normally a switch to isolate the house batteries for storage. That switch needs to be turned on..
Old 01-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

How old is your CO detector? Sometimes they beep when it's time to replace. If you remove it, there may be a sticker on the back with the manufacture date. We write the date on the front and replace after five years.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
How old is your CO detector? Sometimes they beep when it's time to replace. If you remove it, there may be a sticker on the back with the manufacture date. We write the date on the front and replace after five years.
HUmmm, not sure. My van is 1997, I am assuming it's never been replaced.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Have you found the house battery switch?

We are not talking about the van ignition switch.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have you found the house battery switch?

We are not talking about the van ignition switch.
Yes, I know where it is.

My van in 1997 Dodge Pleasure Way.

It happens with the switch in the off position.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saenzm View Post
HUmmm, not sure. My van is 1997, I am assuming it's never been replaced.
Well, if your house battery is full, I would guess it's just beeping because it needs to be replaced. They are very easy to replace and you can replace it with a combination propane/CO detector for about $100. Better safe than sorry.

MTI Industries, Inc.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I know where it is.

My van in 1997 Dodge Pleasure Way.

It happens with the switch in the off position.

Thanks,
Mark
So leave the switch on. It is there to keep the batteries from discharging when you are not using the van. When you are using it the switch should be on so things like the heater and CO detector can get 12 volt power.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Turns out the batteries are now at 1/3 full. When the truck is off, the interior lights come on, but they are dim. So is this all just a matter of plugging in and recharging the house batteries?

Also, in order for me to plug into my house, I bought a dog bone from 30 amp to 110. Is there any concern if it's raining out? Meaning, it will get wet sitting out in the rain. What do you guys do when you need to plug in when it's raining?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Turns out the batteries are now at 1/3 full. When the truck is off, the interior lights come on, but they are dim. So is this all just a matter of plugging in and recharging the house batteries?

Also, in order for me to plug into my house, I bought a dog bone from 30 amp to 110. Is there any concern if it's raining out? Meaning, it will get wet sitting out in the rain. What do you guys do when you need to plug in when it's raining?

Thanks,
Mark
The rain normally doesn't bother anything. Good not to have the plug laying in a pool of water. When you are using the dog bone you will trip the source breaker if you pull too much power (over 15 or 20 amps) depending on the source breaker.

Make sure you have that house power switch ON or your batteries may not get charged even if the lights work because the batteries will be disconnected if it is off.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Plugged in for 5 days - Battery now empty?

So I plugged my rig in for about 5 days and unplugged it for less than 24 hours and drove it around yesterday.

I did leave the 12V sitch on overnight, but when I woke up this morning the carbon monoxide detector was beeping again.

Checked the battery level and it was back at empty.

Do you think it's a bad converter?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

Any other ideas?
Bad Converter, Bad Battery, or Something drawing power.

If you have a battery charger I would use that to make sure the battery is really getting charged. Could be the converter is not charging the battery properly. Do you have some indication of the voltage on the battery as it is charging?

If I had to guess I would say Bad Battery. You can use a multi meter to see what the resting voltage is. If it is 10 to 11 volts you have a shorted cell.

If you can tell us the make and model of the converter and battery it would help.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
Site Team

EVERY RV should have a real shunt-based battery monitor, so you can see what is going on. Without one, you are shooting in the dark.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:40 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Optima D31T, 6300 Series Converter, and I checked the date on back of the carbon Monoxide Detector - Aug 1996

When I plug in the rig, the carbon monoxide detector stops beeping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3267.jpg (287.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3259.jpg (255.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 02:13 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Optima D31T, 6300 Series Converter, and I checked the date on back of the carbon Monoxide Detector - Aug 1996

When I plug in the rig, the carbon monoxide detector stops beeping.
Here is the manual for your converter.

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/RV%2...%20Binder1.pdf

This is an old design meant to replace the battery and provide 12 volts to the circuits when you are plugged in. It is not meant to charge the batteries. It may provide a "Float" voltage to the batteries but that will not charge them.

You need a good three stage battery charger and it can be added without changing what you have.

I can't read the specs on the battery picture but it looks like a vary small battery. I think you need an upgrade.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is the manual for your converter.

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/RV%2...%20Binder1.pdf

This is an old design meant to replace the battery and provide 12 volts to the circuits when you are plugged in. It is not meant to charge the batteries. It may provide a "Float" voltage to the batteries but that will not charge them.

You need a good three stage battery charger and it can be added without changing what you have.
Thanks for the manual. Yeah, I think I am going to get an upgrade. I found this: 45 Amp Converter Replacement Kit

Quote:
I can't read the specs on the battery picture but it looks like a vary small battery. I think you need an upgrade.
The C20 Capacity is 75 Amp and the CCA is 900 Amp. Is that not enough? What size do these class Bs need?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the manual. Yeah, I think I am going to get an upgrade. I found this: 45 Amp Converter Replacement Kit
That is a later design converter but it will take some effort to replace what you have with that one. Since your old one seems to be working maybe you should just ADD a 3 stage charger. It would be less cost also.

You can connect a 3 stage charger directly to your battery and plug it into one of your outlets. It will not bother your existing charger. It will take some additional space however.

Quote:
The C20 Capacity is 75 Amp and the CCA is 900 Amp. Is that not enough? What size do these class Bs need?

Thanks,
Mark
Class B's usually start with something like a C20 of 200 and go up from there. I would put in as much as you have room for. What you have could work for you if the battery is still good.