Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Carport Opinions and Feedback Wanted

I am interested in putting up a metal carport to shelter the class B. I have seen a couple of companies that advertise DIY steel carports that would be more or less the right size for a class B. I am comfortable with the idea of assembling the carport myself. Does anyone have any feedback on these DIY carports? Any opinions or tips on what company to purchase from or what size to get would be appreciated. I do not plan on sheltering anything larger than a Class B. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Your biggest issue will be wind loading so it depends on what the maximum wind speed is that you can expect in your location.

I used to live in a place where it was not uncommon to see 70 mph winds - where I am now, 30 mph is considered a gale. Pretty much anything will stand up to 30 mph, but if you are likely to see more than that, you might consider discussing it with a local architect. A small consultation fee might direct you to a brand that is easy to procure locally and has known resistance to your local weather.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Be careful with those DIY claims.
Most companies exaggerated the "easiness" of the build.

Go to youtube and see if there are people actually building the one you want.

One guy putting up a DIY nissen hut ended up needing to hire a crane and a couple of guys to help. It was still a DIY project, but not a backyard-type DIY as he thought.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Dunno where you are at but also consider snow load.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #5
Bronze Member

I had a local Coast-to-Coast Carports dealer install a steel carport for my Kubota tractor back in 2010 outside of Seattle. They provided local "stamped" engineering drawings for wind and snow. I did the ground prep which included using a vibrating crushed rock tamper prior to set-up date. A crew of four arrived and had my carport built in a couple of hours including screwing in "hurricane anchors". I had two full walls with both ends open. Unfortunately it is too far from the house to work for our future RV as we hope to get an Ascent and use it as a second vehicle. Once we are certain of our RV we will contact the same people and get one built next to our house.
B2Play is offline   Reply With Quote