Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I am surprised that in 2017 we still have not come up with a robotic dumping station.
…………….and it wouldn’t be a rocket science, reasonable standardized location of dump holes, a camera help to stop a vehicle in the right location, flexible telescopic tubes erection and fire in a hole.

See Hein perfect aim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=PWaC33wxpQA
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...&postcount=689
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I recommend that anyone considering a cassette toilet watch The Fit RV's video on it, for the humor value if nothing else. Their observations are fully consistent with my previous experience using a marine style cassette unit on land (taking Girl Scout Daisies on trips without facilities and then having to find conventional toilet facilities for the dumps).

Personally I wouldn't have one. I can't imagine how they can be dumped just anywhere (such as in a public bathroom) while still even remotely respecting one's fellow man. Which restricts their use to dump stations, in which case, why not just have a black tank?

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #23
Platinum Member

That video would have more credibility if they had actually been testing a cassette toilet.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #24
Platinum Member

They did in Europe and they still would not have one.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Those last two comments raise a good question: Are there cassette designs that could potentially isolate odors from the environment to a better degree than the devices used by both myself and the Adinaros?

If there were such a thing, I'd like to hear about it. I don't necessarily believe that cassettes are destined to remain non-viable from a public courtesy standpoint. I just know that I've not yet seen a convincing demonstration of better technology.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #26
jon
Platinum Member

I have one word about the Fit video. Chemicals...Everyone except save-the-planet freaks know to add deodorizer chemicals to three day old human waste.

As far as ventilation there are vents for cassette toilets. The video was a potta-potty. There is a difference.

Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Any specific product references? I tried multiple chemicals. Didn't work for me.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #28
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Any specific product references? I tried multiple chemicals. Didn't work for me.
This is the ventilation system which works perfect:
http://www.soguk.co.uk/product-category/sog2kits/

This is the chemical which George told me about:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171023_110105.jpg (253.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #29
Platinum Member

George as in GeorgeRa? If so, that I would try. I'd start by trying it in my existing black tank as a test measure.

Edit: Right now I'm using Camco TST.

I find it to be com-plete-ly use-less.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #30
jon
Platinum Member

I think it was GeorgeRa- it was a while ago on the Sprinter forum. It works.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #31
Platinum Member

For that I thank you - whether cassette or black tank, the little bottle is worth $25 if it actually works. West Marine is the first search engine result that popped up on my screen. That's a promising sign - their product choices are typically very good. I will try it.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Have you tried the Happy Camper powdered stuff. Most accounts would put it near the top of all for odor control.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #33
Platinum Member

It seems as we could use RV human waste disposal technology as a political wedgie, the Cassettorians and the Blacktankers parties should be formed. Each one of the new parties will be better than the other one, each one will have the best odor control technology, there is however a risk of a civil war but at least the ammo could be free but potent.

Seriously, the listed video is a joke, apples and oranges. We are lucky in NA to have option to choose, and each one of the system has positives and negatives but it is so easy to jump to conclusion. One of the major advantages of a black tank, as pointed earlier, is volume which means low frequency of unpleasant dumping. Combination with a grey water could drive the frequency even lower. We currently have the 402 cassette which is great for our multiday camping and ease of thorough cleaning. No odor.

Another constrain is the choice of the vehicle size, in our case we picked 144’’WB Sprinter, all other aspects of design are based on tradeoffs. I have total capacity of 10 gal. with 2 five gallons cassettes, enough for us.

However, we have started camping in NA in the mid-seventies. We used all 3 greatest modern technologies systems from portable patties, black tanks, cassettes to their derivatives. Got splashed with feces, cleaned previous dump leftovers, got stuck in line, got a bad eye from a person not knowing what cassette is, but, have not seen much if any progress.

This is 21st Century, wow. From my perspective dumping either cassette or black tank is not fun, manufacturers could step in was more inventive solution to this problem, most I have seen is macerator with small hose or different color bigger house.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
This is the ventilation system which works perfect:
SOG 2 Kits Archives - SOG Toilet Kits, SOG Systems

This is the chemical which George told me about:
Yes, I have been using Odorless for years, it is natural nitrate based, oxygen laden chemistry.

There is another great venting system called Lil’ Stanker, but I am not sure they still exist. I have their 1 ¼” unit.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
For that I thank you - whether cassette or black tank, the little bottle is worth $25 if it actually works. West Marine is the first search engine result that popped up on my screen. That's a promising sign - their product choices are typically very good. I will try it.
The product was developed by Swedish Yara Inc., I think it is currently distributed by Valterra. I used it for years. Good luck.

http://www.yara.us/images/OdorlosBro...m399-51359.pdf
Great Lakes Scuttlebutt – Summer Issue 2012 Updated : Odorlos Tank Treatment
Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #36
Platinum Member

A bit off topic, but liking things simple (IE gravity) I have often wondered what are your options if a macerator pump fails to work when time to dump.

Is there any sort of workaround?

I am fine with these innovations as long as a manual alternative is available, otherwise, I think I would prefer simple and reliable!

These days we don't always have the option I think.

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
A bit off topic, but liking things simple (IE gravity) I have often wondered what are your options if a macerator pump fails to work when time to dump.

Is there any sort of workaround?

I am fine with these innovations as long as a manual alternative is available, otherwise, I think I would prefer simple and reliable!

These days we don't always have the option I think.

Brian
There are several options that can be done, and several of us have them. You may want to do a search on here for "dual dump"
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
There are several options that can be done, and several of us have them. You may want to do a search on here for "dual dump"

I just added a dual dump flex tee to my macerator system. Here is photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #39

[QUOTE

Another constrain is the choice of the vehicle size, in our case we picked 144’’WB Sprinter, all other aspects of design are based on tradeoffs. I have total capacity of 10 gal. with 2 five gallons cassettes, enough for us.

[/QUOTE]

Where do you store the extra cassette?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Quote:

Where do you store the extra cassette?

Right next to the fresh water

(borrowed photo from the web)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 20171025 11.02.jpg (71.5 KB, 6 views)