Old 10-21-2017, 03:20 AM   #1
jon
Silver Member

Default Cassette Toilets - Pros and Cons

I've had my cassette toilet for a couple years now and I'm kind of getting tired for taking the cassette in and dumping after every trip. Currently my van is not really a RV. It's more a multi purpose traveling/camping van without a water system. My gray water tank is a 5 gallon Jerry so my cassette toilet works very well.

I'm thinking about purchasing a real class B RV, so I'm wondering if it would be easier to stop at a dump station on the way home since I would need to dump the gray water anyway.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks,
Jon

jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:00 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I had both and currently have cassette:

Cassette pluses:
1. Great for shorter trips, for extended I just got a second cassette.
2. Possible to park RV in house garage, with cassette clean no odor (important for us).
3. Possible to dump in more places.
4. No hose to clean.
5. Great for starting conversation: so how do you like this sh…ty idea?

Black tank plusses:
1. Higher volume = lower frequency of dumping.
2. No need to handle 50 lb. full cassette even with wheels.
3. Usually better roof venting to control the odor.

For our use cassette is perfect, but good macerator pump drain would be good except odor in the working garage.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
jon
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I had both and currently have cassette:

Cassette pluses:
2. Possible to park RV in house garage, with cassette clean no odor (important for us).

For our use cassette is perfect, but good macerator pump drain would be good except odor in the working garage.
I've got our retirement house plan drawn up and it includes a high garage bay for the retirement class b......What is this garage odor problem. Currently I wash and rinse with bleach after every trip. Wouldn't a small black tank similar to the Travato 59G be nearly as easy to rinse out?

I followed your RV build on the Sprinter forum. It's beautiful but I don't have the skills nor patience for a build like that. So, I've narrowed it down to a Travoto or Aktiv.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 10-21-2017, 05:01 AM   #4
Site Team

I am going to report on my recent experience with cassette toilets in my Iceland Trip thread, whenever I get back to that project. Here's my quick preview:

Although cassettes have some merit, for me the fatal flaw is that the system is not completely sealed. Ergo, they inevitably smell, at least somewhat. A properly functioning plumbed system has no path for gas leakage and will not smell at all (those who disagree with this have defective systems). The nature of cassette toilets makes this impossible. Maybe if our system had the optional electric exhaust fan feature, I might have felt differently, but even though we used the provided chemicals (we use and need none at all in our tank-based system), the constant subtle odor makes a cassette system a non-starter for us.

If I parked in a garage, I would rig up a vent hose to outdoors and slip it over the stack vent during storage.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
jon
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I am going to report on my recent experience with cassette toilets in my Iceland Trip thread, whenever I get back to that project. Here's my quick preview:

Although cassettes have some merit, for me the fatal flaw is that the system is not completely sealed. Ergo, they inevitably smell, at least somewhat. A properly functioning plumbed system has no path for gas leakage and will not smell at all (those who disagree with this have defective systems). The nature of cassette toilets makes this impossible. Maybe if our system had the optional electric exhaust fan feature, I might have felt differently, but even though we used the provided chemicals (we use and need none at all in our tank-based system), the constant subtle odor makes a cassette system a non-starter for us.

If I parked in a garage, I would rig up a vent hose to outdoors and slip it over the stack vent during storage.
I rented a campervan before I bought my sprinter and it had an unvented cassette. I know the smell so I installed a SOG vent system in mine. When the flapper is open a small fan sucks air through a filter and out the bottom. it works like a charm.
SOG Toilet Kits, SOG Systems - Sog toilet kits for motorhomes and caravans. Eco Friendly no Chemicals
Old 10-21-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Really glad this discussions came up...wondered the pros and cons of both systems. Ron
Old 10-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
Platinum Member

It is a matter of time required to clean a black tank versus a cassette. To get clean rinse water coming out from a black tank it was taking me 3 rinses with rinse sprinkler system built in, minimum 30 min. of wet work or longer if solids were too sticky. When going for a couple or three days this cleaning task was a driving force for us no to use the toilet. From my boating experience I never allowed to leave uncleaned black tank for storage. The garage storage added to a strong desire to keeping my van pristine clean.

With cassette it is simple and fast - drain, water fill, shake, drain repeat and done.

I agree with Avanti that black tanks installation tend to have a better passive roof venting system, but cassette can have one as well. I am in the midst of adding a low draw vent system by Lil-Stanker to keep negative pressure during opening even though we never had any odor problems. My Thetford 402C cassette toilet has spring loaded vent valve on the bottom of the cassette which automatically opens up during insertion of the cassette. The Lil-Stanker will connect to this vent pushing exhaust to the driver side. If I had my toilette in a different place I would simply connect this vent to a roof vent and there would be no difference to a black tank venting. Besides the vent the cassette upper opening blade valve is sealed if not used, so the system is as sealed as my black toilet was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR12545.jpg (478.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 14-ZGR12554.jpg (346.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P6263333.jpg (465.4 KB, 4 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If I had my toilette in a different place I would simply connect this vent to a roof vent and there would be no difference to a black tank venting. Besides the vent the cassette upper opening blade valve is sealed if not used, so the system is as sealed as my black toilet was.
I don't really agree with this. A black-tank system can be totally sealed end-to-end via glued or threaded pipe. In the best case, a cassette requires a pressure-sealed gasket, so the tank can be removed. I believe that that seal is the achilles heel, when it comes to smell. I'm sure it is fine when in perfect condition, but...

I admit that my experience is limited, so I don't mean to overstate my case. But if I were to ever consider a cassette, I would certainly include active ventilation and the power budget to run it all the time.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Bronze Member

First, let me say I have absolutely no knowledge of or experience with a cassette toilet.

Second, let me say that I have stored two Roadtreks for almost fifteen years in a heated and air conditioned garage attached to our home and have NEVER had an issue with odor. Never.

As others have said, if you got an odor with your black tank indoors, you need to check your plumbing.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

I cringe every time someone says "cassette toilet is popular in Europe".

Well, they have no choice.