Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Default changing the electric system, for traveling to england

Hi There campers,
I'm a new member to your forum, [although I've been camping for many years] and and I find it very informative. The question I have for you is, has anyone out there, ever traveled with their CLASS B over to the uk and europe? what did you have to do to change over the electric system to make it compatible with their electric system ? We are thinking of going over there, in the next couple of years or so, [ the good lord willing and the creeks don't rise?] Also any information on shipping the van over there
would be greatly appreciated.So I thought I'd start now, and find out all about it, as I know it will take awhile to put it all together
Hope I didn't get to carried away, asking all those questions! as its only my first post!
Thanking you all in advance, for any help you can give me.
scottyquickfeet
scottyquickfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: changing the electric system, for traveling to england

With all the issues and transformers needed, most people leave their rig on this side of the pond, and hire (rent) a "B" when in the UK. A lot cheaper, all ways around.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There have been postings where people from Europe have shipped their vans over to the US for touring and saved a ton of money on rentals. But those vans, I believe, are all diesels. It may be cost prohibitive to ship a petrol van from the States over and use it, as gasoline is quite expensive over there.

Not sure if any of these folks modified their electrical systems to plug in over here, or just stayed off grid. It's conceivable that they never plugged in. Surely there is some kind of converter or transformer you get get to use and not have to do extensive electrical modifications.

This may point you in the right direction: http://www.220converters.com/step-down-converters.htm
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If your unit does not come with a generator, an external generator could be purchased. The only cost then is fuel, no conversions necessary.

Of course, this may bring up it's own issues with rules regarding running generators.

Note: Diesel generators are expensive!
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Interesting question. When I visited Europe (not in RV) I used a simple 1600 watt Travel Converter. However, it converted 220v 50hz to 110v 50hz not 110v 60hz like we have in North America.

This site: http://www.rvtransformers.com/index.html explains what to expect and what might happen to items in your RV if you run them at 110v 50hz.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

cost...

we went to Ireland this year and hired from bunkcampers
( Citroen diesel, manual tranny- so shifting with left hand).
wet bath with cassette type toilet, gas heater and stove with oven- sideways bed so a little short and a "climb over".- clean and new and nice for a rental. we also rented a couple of chairs and table and bedding from them)

they have offices in a number of places, and sometimes run specials- their conversion are built in Italy and they will often do deals ( no rent, 10 days) to get the vans driven up to the UK.

I travel internationally and deal with electronics and electrics for work

MOST 60 HZ devices work on 50 HZ just fine- exceptions would be things with motors- clocks, turntables and Hammond organs.
and air conditioners- this could be a problem on shore power...same with AC powered cooling fans on fridge ( DC would be OK).
However the "usual" weather in Europe makes use of a AC less a requirement. ( our rental had no coach AC- we didn;t need it)

A large capacity step down transformer would do the job ( check Grainger supply)

get input cabling such as 16 Amp C-Form Male ( which would able to provide about 30 amps to your RV- 3500 watts
13 amp ( UK) style male
and Euro 220V.

EU is standardizing Voltage from UK 240V and Euro 220 V to a nominal 230 V.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:07 AM   #7

A big thank you to all the people who answered my query, I can see I'm going to have to do a lot of research on the subject! We are planning on going over there for a year, so renting may work out to expensive? We will check out buying one over there, and selling it when we are ready to come back.
Thanks again guys.
scottyquickfeet is offline   Reply With Quote