Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Default check engine light

I have a 2001 Dodge Roadtrek with a lit check engine light. A check of the computer codes seems to say it is an emissions leak of some sort. I had it checked out at a garage. They used the "sniffer" but could not detect any leaks in the system. They told me to purchase and try a new gas cap - which I did but light still stays on. The garage also told me that due to the construction of a Roadtrek they found it difficult to follow some of the lines.
I would like to know if anyone out there has had a similar problem before I take it to a Dodge dealer and have to mortgage my house to pay for a repair.
Thanks
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #2

Default Re: check engine light

Had something similar once. I believe the light was initiated because the fuel cap hadn't been re-installed correctly. Anyway try disconnecting a cable on the battery. It’ll reset everything and the light will be out. If it stays out great end of problem.
.boB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm sure they already reset the light and it has come back on. They probably mean evap system and not exhaust. Google search could be in order and sometimes YouTube might have a video.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I had a similar situation a few years ago on my 2002 Chevy chassis. The codes indicated a problem with the emission systems and possibly the fuel system. After more than a few hours of diagnostic shop time at my local Chevrolet dealer they found a corroded wire in the engine compartment. It was probably the connection between the PCM/OBD and the fuel cap/venting hardware at the fuel fill location. There's a chance it was added by Roadtrek when they repositioned the gas tank, but the technician didn't say. That's just my theory and they may not have used GM OEM quality wiring. Again speculation.
Repaired and it's been fine ever since.
Sorry for not adding this sooner but I only just saw this topic.