Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #21
Platinum Member

As was mentioned, just go to an automotive store and they will read the code for you for free. If it is something simple they may diagnose and try to sell you a part you might need, but there is no need to buy anything.

Then just search the code on Google and you will see what it means and usually a list of things that can cause it. No real skill or cost involved.

Guessing is not a good way to try to solve most of these things, as has been mentioned.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
With all due respect to the other posters, once you have the code it will probably mean gibberish to you. Even if you are an experienced mechanic, having the code still requires diagnostic skills, unless it is so basic as a loose gas cap.
With all due respect ......even a basic $25 code reader displays both the trouble code and a brief explanation. Even if it looks like gibberish, you can just paste it into Google and get a comprehensive but understandable explanation of what the trouble code is referring to, an indication of whether or not it requires immediate addressing and a list of likely causes and suggestions for a fix. This is particularly valuable if you are on the road and don't have access to your trustworthy local mechanic and are dealing with a mechanic whose integrity you know nothing about. If that mechanic realizes that you haven't just fallen off the back of a turnip truck, it's less likely that you'll be taken to the cleaners.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The OP asked about a check engine light and later stated that he/she was not comfortable with using a code reader. Most to the responders mentioned using a code reader and then looking up the code. (Which I have stated still requires a diagnosis and a question of why this is happening). If he/she is not even comfortable using a code reader, who makes you think he/she is going to be able to look up the code and understand it? Even with that information if you go into a mechanic and tell them I have code XYZ, the mechanic still needs to diagnose it.

We are now at post #23 and many people have commented and taken this thread sideways, given erroneous information and simply posted silly answers. Only two individuals have focused on the problem.

The quick answer to the OP's original problem once it was clear that he/she was not going to diagnose the problem by themselves was as I stated, "Go to a mechanic to have the problem diagnosed."
Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
The OP asked about a check engine light and later stated that he/she was not comfortable with using a code reader. Most to the responders mentioned using a code reader and then looking up the code. (Which I have stated still requires a diagnosis and a question of why this is happening). If he/she is not even comfortable using a code reader, who makes you think he/she is going to be able to look up the code and understand it? Even with that information if you go into a mechanic and tell them I have code XYZ, the mechanic still needs to diagnose it.

We are now at post #23 and many people have commented and taken this thread sideways, given erroneous information and simply posted silly answers. Only two individuals have focused on the problem.

The quick answer to the OP's original problem once it was clear that he/she was not going to diagnose the problem by themselves was as I stated, "Go to a mechanic to have the problem diagnosed."
Saying not being comfortable can mean a lot, so it would be best not to judge OP's capability. OP was comfortable to ask a question on this forum and common theme of the feedback is to get the code read. Solution could be easy or complex, knowing the actual code would help to judge by OP or this forum.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
I'll check the fluids and see if that's it. That engine code reader is probably beyond my comfort zone, but thank you for suggesting a solution.
I think it is very clear about how comfortable the OP is about using a code reader, so why suggest the he/she go buy one and then look up codes?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #26
Platinum Member

The suggestion was repeatedly made to get the code read at an auto parts store for free with no knowledge or cost from the OP. I would state that this is a good idea for anyone who is going to a mechanic with an issue, unless they have a long term trusted relationship with that mechanic.

I have seen it many times where non technical customers get taken to the cleaners at a shop for repairs they didn't need.

If you know the code and what it means, whether you understand it or not, you can at least see if what the mechanic says matches and reduce the chance of overcharges.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:17 AM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Obviously this is not the case for this '97 Dodge. I didn't even know that they had the readers back then... didn't realize that computers had already taken over our engines.

OBD codes are mandated for vehicles 1996 forward.

That's why I asked for the model and year in my post.

And that's why I suggested an OBD reader.

Of course if he is not comfortable with the reader,
then he should just take the vehicle to a mechanic.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #28
Silver Member

Default As mentioned, most auto parts stores will read your codes for free

As mentioned, most auto parts stores will read your codes for free and tell you what they mean, (like spark plug one isn't firing, etc.) then you can drive away and do what ever you what. They will also, usually reset the codes and shut off your check engine light. Ask them to do that, check that the gas cap is on tight, maybe fill the tank, drive it, and see if the light comes back on. I would bet a 10.00 bill it won't (just kidding). You can do all this without spending a cent. If the battery was unhooked all winter then I am not surprised that you have a check engine light on when you hooked it back up as everything in your electronics has gone stone cold dead. The check engine code will probably tell you that you have a dead battery... I would recommend leaving your battery hooked up and using a battery tender (not a charger) over the winter months or whenever the RV is not in use.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #29

Many parts stores have check engine devices. Napa Parts, O’Rielly parts —will plug in analyzer for FREE.

They provide the service for free in the hope, you will be buying something to repair issue.

Be for warned the decoded messages can be pretty cryptic .
Fred-n-Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #30
BBQ
Platinum Member

The OBD was mandated for vehicles 1996 onward.
In the early years, there were only a few sensors and a handful of codes.
I would not get overly alarmed by it; the worst case scenario is the catalytic converter.

YMMV
Old 05-27-2018, 02:40 AM   #31

Note that most AutoZone, PepBoys or Advanced Auto Parts stores will do an ODBC reading for you, for free.
And give you the printout for later googling and/or reference.
tonyp063 is offline   Reply With Quote