Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 558
Default Chevy Express transmission cross member

Haven't looked at mine yet (2003) but would there be any way to cut and splice the crossmember in two places with a doubler and bolts?
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Haven't looked at mine yet (2003) but would there be any way to cut and splice the crossmember in two places with a doubler and bolts?
That prospect was considered and discussed many more times than I choose to remember

I think it could be done, but it would be an "interesting" job. You will find the crossmember to be a fairly odd shape, mostly a C shaped forming with flanges, and some of the C having a full bottom. It would probably need flanged doublers do to shape, and likely some internal support to prevent crushing it with the drawbolts.

It would have to be done in place, also, as you can't get it out (which is the problem in the first place of course). The frame and crossmember appear to be made of a mid strength steel and are cutable with good sawblades, but it is a slow go and blades wear out quickly. If someone is really good with a cutting torch or plasma cutter (that wouldn't be in my description) and you had it on a hoist (with a couple of fire extinguishers) it would be much easier to cut. Abrasive cut would also work. The thin, 1/32 or 1/16 3" wheels on an air grinder cut pretty well on this stuff, but a bit slow. The crossmember is probably only .090" thick or so.

It will be interesting to see what you think when you crawl under yours, and at your year, it might not have the issue. If the change came with the redesign you are on the edge. The clue would probably be what engine you have. 6.0 would indicate the new style, 5.7 or 8.1 would be the previous design.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,566
Default

I posted this issue on the Yahoo Roadtrek forum also, as it has lots more Roadtrek owners than here.

One poster with a 2010 said he had a trans failure and the RT had to go to the dealer for tank removal, to Chevy garage for trans warranty repair, and then back to the dealer for tank reinstallation.

The trans repair was free at Chevy, and he had to pay the $2000 bill at the dealer. Of course, he is also in the same condition as he started, and would have to pay the extra again if the trans repair doesn't last (which is more common than it should be).

It is unknown whether he had a 2010 chassis or not, and if it had the 6 speed, as he hasn't replied to that question yet.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

.

2010?

Is that with the new 6 sp trans?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
.

2010?

Is that with the new 6 sp trans?
See one line up into last post
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 558
Default

"It will be interesting to see what you think when you crawl under yours, and at your year, it might not have the issue. If the change came with the redesign you are on the edge. The clue would probably be what engine you have. 6.0 would indicate the new style, 5.7 or 8.1 would be the previous design."

My 2003 has the 6.0L engine. I won't have access to it for a few more days but when I find out I will post. Thanks for sharing. For those of us that sell our vehicles by the pound it is an important issue. A trans failure will probably not happen close to home.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
For those of us that sell our vehicles by the pound it is an important issue. A trans failure will probably not happen close to home.
Only those who do the same will understand that comment, which is oh-so-true for us also.

I guess for those that don't want to deal with it on the road, and don't want it right back to where it was if it does happen, it would more appropriately called "remediation" than modification.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
gsm
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 32
Default

Booster

Thanks to the board, March 2016 we finally we got a 2008 190 Popular with the six liter engine and four speed transmission. We enjoyed the vehicle very much over the summer, We made some modifications and upgrades before summer and during late fall.

The problem you described in regard to removing the transmission crossbeam on the Chevy Express version of the RT 190 Popular is of great concern to me.

I must admit I have not looked under our vehicle, as it is still stuck in snow and ice, however I expect it to be like yours.

I am wondering if it is possible on the Express van to have Chevy Service haul the engine and transmission together out the front of the engine compartment, without removing the crossbeam? If things could be done that way, it would still be very expensive, but at least one would not have to shuttle the coach from A to Z and back again, with delays and frustrations that would entail for everyone. Maybe some other engine work might be done at the same time to spread cost.

There has been discussion touching on whether the cross beam could be cut, perhaps vertically, parallel to the longitudinal truss on the passenger side, and just clear of the remaining attachment to the truss? The latter might then be abandoned in place. The lowered cross beam might then be shortened by about another half an inch, so that a sufficient length of three or four inch angle-iron with quarter of three-eights thick walls could be bud-welled onto the new end. This might provide a surface to be drilled and attached via three or four tapped holes to the bottom of the truss, much like the other end of the crossbeam. Would this make an acceptable preemptive step and avoid having to remove the black and gray tanks?

Thanks

Gerard M
gsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Bruceper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 635
Default

Can the engine and transmission be removed from the front? Yes. However most shops could not do this.

The transmission cross member still has to come out to facilitate removal of the engine and trans, so it's really no different.

Quote:
Only those who do the same will understand that comment, which is oh-so-true for us also.
Funny story. Way back in the late 80's I had a 76 Civic that was destined for doom. So we drove it HARD to the yard. About 3/4 of the way there it started smoking. Shortly after we saw flames poking out the hood vents. Arrived, went in, got the cash and as we're leaving an employee says to us 'Your car is on fire". I showed him the receipt and said "Nope, YOUR car is on fire".
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
Booster

Thanks to the board, March 2016 we finally we got a 2008 190 Popular with the six liter engine and four speed transmission. We enjoyed the vehicle very much over the summer, We made some modifications and upgrades before summer and during late fall.

The problem you described in regard to removing the transmission crossbeam on the Chevy Express version of the RT 190 Popular is of great concern to me.

I must admit I have not looked under our vehicle, as it is still stuck in snow and ice, however I expect it to be like yours.

I am wondering if it is possible on the Express van to have Chevy Service haul the engine and transmission together out the front of the engine compartment, without removing the crossbeam? If things could be done that way, it would still be very expensive, but at least one would not have to shuttle the coach from A to Z and back again, with delays and frustrations that would entail for everyone. Maybe some other engine work might be done at the same time to spread cost.

There has been discussion touching on whether the cross beam could be cut, perhaps vertically, parallel to the longitudinal truss on the passenger side, and just clear of the remaining attachment to the truss? The latter might then be abandoned in place. The lowered cross beam might then be shortened by about another half an inch, so that a sufficient length of three or four inch angle-iron with quarter of three-eights thick walls could be bud-welled onto the new end. This might provide a surface to be drilled and attached via three or four tapped holes to the bottom of the truss, much like the other end of the crossbeam. Would this make an acceptable preemptive step and avoid having to remove the black and gray tanks?

Thanks

Gerard M
I think there are a lot of possibilities of how to to modify stuff or address the issue on the road. That was the purpose of putting it on the board. The couple of truck places I talked to said the vans are too short in the hood opening to remove engine and transmission together out the front. I have done a couple of cars that way in the past, big hood muscle cars, and you have to have the car a long ways off the floor to get enough angle to lift it out.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.