Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

Default Chirping noise

We have a 2008 Roadtrek mercedes sprinter Agile we recently purchased. We have a concerning noise in the dashboard. It is similar to the noise in the pioneer radio when changing volume or stations. It is intermittent but concerning. Let's call it a chirp. Has anyone had this problem?
Lindakt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chirping noise

Welcome to the forum. Might it be the heater fan? Or a hard-plastic duct working its way loose? It's not easy doing long-distance diagnostics
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Odd noises can be hard to figure out. If there's a glove box check in there for a forgotten phone or something similar. Also, lift the hood and listen for it to see if it is actually coming from the engine compartment. The battery separator will make a clicking sound.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Thank you for your responses; unfortunately we're still in a quandary.
Now thinking it's electronics related.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Does the noise occur even when the radio is off? If not, it may be electrical interference causing the radio to make noise. My radio has a small fan in it that stays on for a short while even after the engine has been turned off. I suppose it's to cool it down. It's yet another place that dust can build up and cause noises.

Funny noises can drive folks nuts! I used to take care of plants in offices. Once on the 24th floor of a high-rise, the receptionist kept hearing a weird noise intermittently. It went on for weeks. Then one day, I found a tiny frog in one of the planters croaking at me. How it got there, I'll never know.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

Marcopolo....battery separator makes sense. Now what do we do?
Thank you
Linkakt2
Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I received the following info in an email from Sure Power (Battery Separator Manufacturer) some time ago:

Quote:
If it is clicking that is a good sign of several things to check for :

(1) Bad ground connection to the ground terminal.
(2) If there is a circuit breaker installed it could be tripping.
(3) Bad or too small cable and wiring sizing. Or bad connections to any part of the terminal and wiring.
(4) If a second aux. charging source is being used such as a battery charger may not be high enough voltage to keep it engaged or if the charging source being used on the main side such as the alternator may not be reaching the 13.2 volts in order for the Separator to kick in to parallel the second battery. The battery separator must see 13.2 volts in order for it to kick in. The Separator is totally dependent on the charge source and is only good as it outs out.
(5) Or shorted cell or bad battery.
First, I'd make sure the batteries are all fully charged. They should charge when you plug in the van power cord. Hopefully that will solve it but if not, work through the points noted above. Also, some Sure Power Battery Separators were recalled. Here's some info on that: http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2021 The recall was for parts manufactured from 2009 to 2011. Your van is a 2008 but it's possible the part was replaced for some reason.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote