Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Class b beds

I am considering a Class B purchase but am leaning toward a B+. I don’t like the fact that the straight b doesn’t have a full shower. Also, the beds in the B+ is more like a real bed. For those who have the straight B, are the couch like beds
Comfortable to sleep on? Thanks for your help.
donmusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum donmusick!

You can find comfortable beds in a class b, but the larger b+'s will bring you more options.

Only a very few "b's" have a separate shower. Coach House Arriva comes to mind and a Winnebago ERA "70M" with the slide out murphy bed.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Donmusic,
2015 Roadtrek 190P.. I added a 14" cushion to the front of the couch/bed, converting it from a twin that was too short for me to stretch out, to a full size bed that is very comfortable. I also added a cabinet for additional airtight food storage.
(bless this mess)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190406_173905.jpg (185.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190406_173452.jpg (229.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190406_173439.jpg (232.8 KB, 9 views)
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The Class B fold out couch bed can be made comfortable, with a bit of effort.

I use a 4" memory-foam topper and a padded mattress cover over that. The topper I use is actually two twin-size instances trimmed to fit the width of a queen-size bed. Frankly, rolling them up and stowing them is a chore.

The bathroom is full of bedding when the bed is back to being a couch.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I also added a mattress topper to my converted Full size bed in the pictures above. Definitely needed.
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmusick View Post
I am considering a Class B purchase but am leaning toward a B+. I don’t like the fact that the straight b doesn’t have a full shower. Also, the beds in the B+ is more like a real bed. For those who have the straight B, are the couch like beds
Sure, mine is and wider than any stock B van "couch" like bed. I would think any B could have wider beds with Custom Comfort, whatever one likes.

With Ellen no couches, one very large bed that is very comfortable. There are advantages and disadvantages concerning leaving a bed mostly set up or not.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Depends on the particular Class B

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmusick View Post
What do you mean by "full shower"? We have a shower, actually, one inside and a 2nd one outside 😁😁😁.

Also, we have a king size bed.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have an old 97 PW which is setup for twin "beds" that can be converted to a queen size. Those beds serve as seating for the table which can be placed between. To convert I have to remove the back cushions, lift the base cushions on each side and remove 4 c.12x18" boards which then rest between the two beds to support the back cushions that I removed. Then I have to climb on the bed and struggle with getting a topper and a fitted bottom sheet on and then the top sheet plus quilt. In the morning everything gets removed and stored.

What we found was that it was much easier to sleep individually in the twin beds even though they're small. We travel with the beds always made up using a top quilt that tucks in as a cover during the day. It makes evenings and mornings much more enjoyable, we have more storage available, plus it's easier for one person to hit the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Caveat: We don't full time. We view our outings as camping and don't expect the RV to be like home. I'm not suggesting in the least that this is the best or only perspective. It's just one of many valid approaches to RVing.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-bed-5823.html
I put the narrow section used as the seat back next to the wall, the seat cushion to the inside and add a 1" memory foam topper. More comfortable than my bed at home.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #10
Platinum Member

We have a rock & roll sofa bed 54” x 76” - Full size. The bed upholstery is about 5.5” thick with a 2” mattress toper. Changing from bed to seat positions takes seconds. This is the most comfortable bed we had in any of our previous RVs, flat, firm, and with the top topper very breathable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR160831.JPG (457.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GR160829.JPG (466.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GR160827.JPG (465.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Layout final daytime.JPG (63.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Layout final night time.JPG (62.9 KB, 12 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

George, if I had to make that bed every night, I’d at least be attaching sheets to that topper.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
George, if I had to make that bed every night, I’d at least be attaching sheets to that topper.
Good point, didn’t think about it. New item on the "To Do list". Making the bed every night is one of the tradeoffs for very open day space on 144” WB van.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Team

We have a trifold bed somewhat similar to George's. DW and I are like an army drill team when it comes to making the bed every evening and stowing it in the morning. We have gotten VERY good at it. One minute tops. The secrets are (1) properly-sized fitted bottom sheet; and (2) folding the blanket and top sheet in the morning with one partner still lying on the bed.

Lots of folks use sleeping bags of various sorts, but we love the luxury of a real made bed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I don't think I could even take off and fold the bottom sheet on our bed in one minute. Unless perhaps folding wasn't really folding but squishing and rolling. You must be VERY fast to do all of it in that time. Not in our capabilities!
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote