Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
No. My system works best when all closed up. I heat the water directly rather than trying to heat the water by heating the pipes. Then I circulate the water through the pipes.
That's a very interesting approach to winterization! I knew such a system was possible but I think you're the first person I've heard of that's implemented it on an actual working Class B van. Congrats on a unique approach!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #42
Platinum Member

A fresh water system design that can be completely blown out using compressed air is another option which makes it fast and easy to winterize without the need for antifreeze and restart the system without the need to flush the antifreeze out...

Would not have all the advantages of DCHitt's setup but something that solves the issue of the time it takes to winterize and restart the system...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #43
Platinum Member

You could also design a system that would gravity drain to a single location, easily and completely. If you had a common, or common actuating vacuum breaker on the use points and anywhere that trapped water and a heated place for the water to go, or be drained from, you could greatly reduce any heat needed in the system. When in cold weather you would just leave the water in the heated and insulated tank until you needed it, and then pump it to whatever area you wanted. When done activate the breakers to let it drain back. Such a system would work well for us, as we usually don't have the water heater on, and don't use a lot of water.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You could also design a system that would gravity drain to a single location, easily and completely.
Designing a system that approximates this is definitely a good idea. However, there is still danger of residual water in the fixtures. These are the most vulnerable part. I do not believe you will ever get the last of the water from the valves, etc, without compressed air.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Designing a system that approximates this is definitely a good idea. However, there is still danger of residual water in the fixtures. These are the most vulnerable part. I do not believe you will ever get the last of the water from the valves, etc, without compressed air.
That would be interesting to check out. Most of the faucets I have seen drain nearly completely when when open when draining a line under them, so they likely would not be a problem if you had the right ones. The water heater would have some left, but probably of a low enough level that if is froze it would be OK (even air won't get it out), the pump would probably need a breaker on each side of it to get enough out to protect it.

The good thing is that you can test the fixtures on the bench ahead of time. Just drain them as they would in use and put them in the freezer, or outside if you live where we do.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #46
Platinum Member

My former 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau Sprinter had two low point drain cocks in the water lines. It was simple. On the last leg of a trip I would open them and by the time I got home the lines would be bone dry.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
That's a very interesting approach to winterization! I knew such a system was possible but I think you're the first person I've heard of that's implemented it on an actual working Class B van. Congrats on a unique approach!
I did this first on a Winnebago Brave that had water lines running from one side to the other under the floor. It worked great so I had Sportsmobile build it in when they put my B together.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #48
Bronze Member

ROADTREK
Roadtrek has been bought by the Erwin Hymer Group and added two models to their line-up.
They are made in Kitchener, Ontario at the same factory that produces the Roadtrek line.
They are a new line called Carado.
The 19’ Carado Axion built on the 17’ Ram Promaster 1500
And the Carado Banff which is built on the 19’ Ram Promaster 2500
http://caradorv.com/about/company/
Toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman0114 View Post
ROADTREK
Roadtrek has been bought by the Erwin Hymer Group and added two models to their line-up.
They are made in Kitchener, Ontario at the same factory that produces the Roadtrek line.
Really? Just now all this has happened? Wow, blink and you miss news that happened 18 months ago.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
ROADTREK
Welcome to the forum.

Not everyone here is welcoming to new members and they sometimes make snide/sarcastic/uncivil remarks but in general the people here are helpful and interested in hearing from new members.

With regard to the Erwin Hymer purchase of Roadtrek, you will find lot’s of info and discussions about this using the search function.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
ROADTREK
Yes, welcome!
This is a bit of a fast-pace group sometimes, and keeping up on what has and has not been covered can be a challenge. Better a bit of redundancy than coverage gaps, though.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #52

Default An additional converter

Contravans is now converting the Ram ProMaster City:
https://contravans.com/
VWWeekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #53
Bronze Member

Default A few more small mfgs

Bridge Bound Campers
http://bridgeboundcampers.com

Wayfarer Vans
https://wayfarervans.com/

Zenvanz
https://www.zenvanz.com/

All are more in the simpler, minimalist vein of the VW Westfalia. Wafarer being by far the least expensive, most minimalist (offering kits for the Ram Promaster and Promaster City). Zenvanz does custom builds on the Sprinter chassis, while Bridge Bound looks to be willing to work with multiple chassis mfgs.
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #54

I read about this the other day:

https://electrek.co/2018/07/25/nissa...r-e-nv200-van/

Too bad it won't be released in the US .
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10basetom View Post
I read about this the other day:

https://electrek.co/2018/07/25/nissa...r-e-nv200-van/

Too bad it won't be released in the US .
124 miles on an electric charge. Would be perfect for me. I only camp nearby. I would even drive it to work every day. It would have double use (everyday driver and camper)
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
It would have double use (everyday driver and camper)
Something that you can get stateside right now is the ModVans CV1 for $75k. You can tell that they really put some thought into the design and component selection (even the chosen chassis was a result of due diligence). Everything has a purpose and nothing more. Probably the greatest thing about this conversion is that all the camper components are modular, so you can remove everything but the seats to use it as your daily driver, or remove all components to use it as a cargo van. I've been in touch with them and they are pretty flexible also; for example, they would be willing to replace the portable toilet with a Nature's Head composting toilet on request. Optional solar is icing on the cake (a high-quality 300W panel).
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Perhaps add to the lists: 2003 200 Popular (on a 2002 Chevy Express cut-away chassis). Tnx
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #58
Bronze Member

You should add to your list Panoramic RV.com out of Chambly Qc, Canada
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:44 PM   #59

I am tired and have to be up at 3:30am so I didn't read every post on this thread, BUT I didn't see any "Falcon" brand Class B RV's listed here. I own and am getting ready to rebuild my 1987 Falcon 190 (built on a 1 Ton Ford extended chassis with a hightop). Its going to be a lot of work because there is some rust on the body and I want to completely renovate the interior. I hate the couch bed because it is terribly uncomfortable, so I'm going to move the bathroom from the back and put a full sized bed in the back. Kitchen will remain on the passenger side by the side door and bathroom on the driver's side across from the kitchen. I will have plenty of questions for anyone that can give me some guidance, but I do have skills from working in the RV industry here in northern Indiana (Elkhart county). Thank you in advance. Jim
McJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #60
Silver Member

I didn't see any Chinooks. I have a 2001 Premier model (21')
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote