Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #21
Site Team

As a former owner of an Airstream Interstate; a current owner of a GWV Legend (identical floorpan as ARV); and being 6'3" tall, I can attest from personal experience that the A/C plenum in the forward position is a HUGE issue, and also that moving it back to over the bed makes it a total NON-issue.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet but the vans from Advanced RV probably are all over $220,000. They are awesome vehicles but they probably cost twice as much (if not more than this) compared to most other Class B's. Not sure if the original poster and new member even realized this.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet but the vans from Advanced RV probably are all over $220,000. They are awesome vehicles but they probably cost twice as much (if not more than this) compared to most other Class B's. Not sure if the original poster and new member even realized this.
Yes. Which is a very good reason to keep an eye out for an NOS or lightly used GWV Legend. ARV started out as a near-exact clone of the Legend, and so they are basically identical except for higher end finishes and systems, and of course the significant customization that ARV is willing to do. Moreover, a lot of the advanced systems (large inverter, 2nd engine alternator, etc) are relatively easy to retrofit into the Legend, due to ARV's generous policy of sharing technical details of their builds.

One might want to be a little cautious about the very last US-built GWV rigs, since there may have been quality issues in that period (I really don't know this, though). Other than that, though, a late model Legend is a great choice--especially if your have DIY improvements in mind.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #24
Bronze Member

Quote:
Oh yeah. Figured that out early on. Too much$$ for us. Especially being new to a class b. I would love to find a used GW. Only ones I see right now are in Florida.
Lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I'm aware of the costs of new Advanced RV rigs. That's why I'm looking into the PleasureWay, as well. I'm also looking into a B+. The problem is that the choices are limited.

Over the past two or three years, I've driven several salespeople and show reps crazy with my questions and my fiddling around in their RVs. They tell me, "European design!" and I respond with looking at the location of the AC.

Renting an RV can be very expensive per day, and I'd rather save the $ for a down payment. Since I'm in no rush to buy, renting one is at the bottom of my list.

P.S. I also live in Sonoma County.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I'm 6'3" in a Travato G with no problems. Very happy. And the K model has an even longer bed..
The more I look at the layout and the price point the Travato G is looking more attractive, not to get too personal here, but are two of you using the rear bed and if so do you find it a bit narrow?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I'm 6'3" in a Travato G with no problems. Very happy. And the K model has an even longer bed..
The bed on the 59G is 46" by 77" but it's not rectangular. The twin beds that come with the 59K are longer only on one side. One bed is 30" by 74" and the other is 30" by 80". If both people are tall, one may have to stay curled up to sleep, especially because there's a counter that extends over the foot of the shorter bed.

It's not just your height. Your postures, your shoes, how you and your partner sleep, and the length of your torsos vs the length of your legs all affect how an RV fits a couple. You two have to try them yourselves.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:01 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkwilson View Post
The more I look at the layout and the price point the Travato G is looking more attractive, not to get too personal here, but are two of you using the rear bed and if so do you find it a bit narrow?
The Fit RV reviews of the Travato show some detailed views of the bed system. "A bit narrow" seems like a vast understatement for me. You have to be pretty good friends to sleep in a 46" bed. You also have to be a pretty flexible person to just get into the bed (and out of it in the middle of the night to use the bathroom).

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...tour-de-lance/

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...o-travato-59g/

It is also easy to mark out the 46" x 77" dimensions on your living room floor with some boards or boxes and just try laying in the space. It is pretty revealing. You quickly learn with Class B's that it is an exercise in priorities and compromises.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:07 AM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
The Fit RV reviews of the Travato show some detailed views of the bed system. "A bit narrow" seems like a vast understatement for me. You have to be pretty good friends to sleep in a 46" bed. You also have to be a pretty flexible person to just get into the bed (and out of it in the middle of the night to use the bathroom).

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...tour-de-lance/

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...o-travato-59g/

It is also easy to mark out the 46" x 77" dimensions on your living room floor with some boards or boxes and just try laying in the space. It is pretty revealing. You quickly learn with Class B's that it is an exercise in priorities and compromises.
Agreed, I posted that then pulled out the tape and realized that we couldn't do it. A couple of weeks in Britain on vacation maybe, but even then we search for king beds. We're Cal King folks and with a small pup that likes to sleep with us (between us) it would never work... oh well, back to the search
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 AM   #30
Bronze Member

Where's that extra 200K when you need it
Old 01-31-2017, 04:16 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Where's that extra 200K when you need it
And that's where it might be worth considering a custom conversion from Sportsmobile, Van Specialties, or similar upfitters. They're probably around half the cost of the ARV, but would still allow you to specify any size bed you might need.

That's not to say they're equivalent to an ARV - in general these are simpler, more utilitarian designs oriented towards outdoor activity enthusiasts. But if that fits your needs they do tend to be very capable and reliable.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #32

I am 6'3" and the Winnebago ERA 70A or 70X work great! Check out Lichtsinn RV, they provide great video tours and information... Also a good price point for a Mercedes chassis with service available throughout the US!
RangerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #33
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEd View Post
I am 6'3" and the Winnebago ERA 70A or 70X work great! Check out Lichtsinn RV, they provide great video tours and information... Also a good price point for a Mercedes chassis with service available throughout the US!
Will do thank you
Old 02-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, the Layout of the Travato G is definitely unique in a sea of very similar plans. On my first visit to the G (in models before WGO did a little work to the table), It felt like it might be a little too tight to be comfortable, but after studying all the other B floorplans on the market, the G was the clear winner (because of the storage, permanent bed and table, and additional seating. We use the table so much, the thought of setting up and tearing a table down every time we want to use it seems really obnoxious. We often leave computers, maps etc spread out on the table at night and return to them in the morning.
We do both sleep in the bed, and very comfortably at that. It is only fair to mention that we are spooners, and cuddle up close even in our queen size bed at home. We have "camped" several times when temps were just not hot enough to run the AC, but warm enough that we did not want to be sleeping tightly together; the bed is big enough for that, but "just" big enough. I can move around and change positions without bothering my spouse. As in so many other variables, everyone sleeps differently, and some folks don't like to be in tight quarters. Your best bet would be to just go test it out at a dealer with your spouse. The bed is also a couple inches higher than some would like (this is what allows for the large storage area underneath) The lip of the shower pan works as a great "step" up for us.
We were just recently at a huge RV show, and looked at at LEAST 20 other B's, after a year of ownership, we ecstatically and unanimously agreed, we wouldn't settle for any other floor plan (at ANY price).

Best of luck in your shopping.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Agreed, I posted that then pulled out the tape and realized that we couldn't do it. A couple of weeks in Britain on vacation maybe, but even then we search for king beds. We're Cal King folks and with a small pup that likes to sleep with us (between us) it would never work... oh well, back to the search
You guys realize the fit RV has a completely customized rig, and that bed is quite a bit higher than the standard Winnebago G, right?

edit: reading your further posts, I see mention of a dog sleeping with you.... hmmm, things would REALLY start to get tight in that situation..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #36

Hello Lkwilson!

My name is Mike and I'm with Advanced RV. We have built a few coaches now with the Mercedes Super High Roof. The interior height from finished floor to finished ceiling is just under 80"!! We were told by Mercedes last year that this chassis was no longer available in the states but to our surprise they decided to keep them available in the U.S. We currently have one super high roof chassis available to build on but could also order one if you wanted to go that route as well. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Thanks Mike. Would love to go that route but probably not in our budget. At least for the first one. Maybe in the future!
Old 02-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I went to great extents to maximize the headroom and still have good insulation and soundproofing. After using it for a while, I realized you don't really spend much time standing up. The majority of the time is lounging or sleeping our case. Allot of units have narrow walkways and upper cabinetry that tends to be claustrophobic for some.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I went to great extents to maximize the headroom and still have good insulation and soundproofing. After using it for a while, I realized you don't really spend much time standing up. The majority of the time is lounging or sleeping our case. Allot of units have narrow walkways and upper cabinetry that tends to be claustrophobic for some.
Good points. Are you referring to Advanced RV?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #40
Platinum Member

No, my own Promaster build, it would have pissed off the kids if I spent that much of their inheritance. I'm 6' I ended up with 6'2" headroom. You might find you seldom stand up straight when cooking of fussing about. Usually you are looking down with your neck bent. The priority was function over form in my design although it did come out looking nice.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote