Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

Default Class B Rear Slideout

I have not done this as a modification....beyond my talents and energy level, but seems like an excellent idea for consideration! I recently saw this idea in my "Passport America" newsblast, and thought "why wouldn't the class B manufacturers offer this at least as an option, if not as part of a new model??". We have been extremely happy with our 1999 Roadtrek Versatile 200 diesel model since new. Yes, I have made a few minor modifications, but nothing that other DIY'ers probably wouldn't have incorporated over the years. However, the one main hassle I have had with our particular model is the double bed configuration. It becomes more of a hassle the older I/we get, because I have to crawl over my spouse through the night in order to get up to the bathroom, then reverse the operation re-entering my side of the bed. Yes, I suppose we could have chosen the "Popular" model with the twin bed or "king size" configuration at the time of purchase, but being somewhat younger, and in better condition, and not needing to get up 2 or 3 times through the night, we opted for the larger fridge, more closet and larger kitchen unit with microwave over the fridge (changed out to a convection model fairly soon after purchase). now I see this sort of modification and wonder why Roadtrek and other class B makers are not all over this???!! Hope I can post a picture of what I am talking about, but it's basically a slideout that operates to the rear of the van when stopped for the overnite and/or campground stays. For our model, it would only have to slide out maybe 3 or 4 feet to allow for us to sleep in a front to back configuration instead of sideways. Then you can crawl out over the rear of the bed directly into the aisle without overtly disturbing a sleeping partner. It would make for greater convenience, and for a nice queen sized bed for us instead of the present narrow 48" wide unit. How about it Roadtrek??? I would be happy to let them "borrow" my ole '94 unit to give this idea a tryout, providing they let me keep the modified result free of charge....LOL!!!

Happy trails to all..... grampa Brian :0)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek Slide.jpg (69.4 KB, 3048 views)
grampaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Class B Rear Slideout

Roadtrek did try this, with the SS Ideal. It was on the 144" wheelbase, but pop the rear doors and one could extend a rear slide a few feet to get room comparable to a RS Adventureous. They stopped selling it a few years ago, but I don't know exactly why.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The "Doubleback" is unique in a way. It is much longer than previous rear slides on vans.

Some other rear slide ideas:

Home built

Safari Condo

Roadtrek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg class_B_slide.jpg (52.5 KB, 2996 views)
File Type: jpg roadtrekss-idealphoto.jpg (40.5 KB, 2996 views)
File Type: jpg safari condo slide out.JPG (242.7 KB, 2996 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The VW Doubleback gives a lot of rear space, but you give up the ability to have more than two passengers, and there is no bathroom or shower. For some, that is an OK trade.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Postby mlts22 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:51 pm
They stopped selling it a few years ago, but I don't know exactly why.

Probably plain lack of sales. We drove one, thinking we could get more room on a short wheelbase, but got to thinking, if it is raining who is going to go out and open the rear doors to let the slide out. I don't think it would be my wife. That leaves.....me. We ended up buying an RS Adventurous. Never looked back. Love it, long wheel base and all.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I am not sure why the doors have to remain, but it seems to me it would make more sense to remove the back doors and build a custom back face closure.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Platinum Member

The absolute best slide configuration I've seen is the Free Spirit SS. The bed may not be to people's likings, but it adds far more usable room to the "B" than a rear slide would. I'd love to see more items like that be done.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Wow Davydd ! That is such a simple idea that it boggles the mind why these guys whose job every day is to come up with ideas like that did not. The only thing I could think of would be some kind of bureaucratic mumbo jumbo.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I am not sure why the doors have to remain, but it seems to me it would make more sense to remove the back doors and build a custom back face closure.
It is very possible that the rear doors are structural components of the uni-body, so removing them would compromise the structure.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Postby Davydd » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:54 am
remove the back doors and build a custom back face closure.

You'd still have to remove or open the closure. I would have thought they would have motorized, electrically or hydraulically, the doors to open and close before and after the slide movement. My guess is too expensive and complicated. Weatherproofing the affair would be something else. Another thing to go wrong.