Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Class B that seats 4 and sleeps 4?

I need a weekender that will sleep 4 and seat 4. (2 are teenish)

I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Travato.

Is there anything else out there that accomplishes this in a class B?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm not sure how satisfactory a Travato would be since the bed for two additional basically fills up the van space. Roadtreks have models that do that too. The one that I thought might work as a weekender was the proposed Great West Van Promaster with a second bed that dropped straight down from the ceiling over the lower dinette seating conversion to a bed. Four people could sleep in it without blocking exits or even the ability to move around inside. But we don't know what the status is of Great West Vans at this time. Another Class B that could sleep 4 functionally was the 2005 Airstream Sprinter Westfalia. Only about 200 were imported. It was based on the current European designed James Cook model. Advanced RV built a custom model with a trifold bed/sofa with an upper bunk that flipped out. It was designed for two young kids but could probably sleep teens. In some ways that would be similar to the Great West Van Promaster in putting all the sleeping in the back and leaving the front half of the van still functional.

Not to get like the Europanefiles here but I do have to admit the Europeans have a lot of models that accomplish this functionally sleeping four. The European approach seems more compatible with weekender use than Americans' long distance, long time use.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes, thanks Davyd.
I realize I'm asking for allot.
I'm not finding the Great West Van (which sounds good).
I'm a little scared of the Sprinter, and especially a Sprinter/Westfalia of which only a couple hundred were imported...
The Roadtrek 190 Versatile actually looks exactly like my plan for a self build, but I can't understand the pricing. Used units don't seem substantially lower priced than a brand new Travato that seems to have the same features, but in a bigger space, a more modern Van build, with better gas mileage, better ride, and... it's new! Warranties and all, 0 mileage...
Thanks for the direction, I will keep looking for road treks and Great West
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Here is the Great West Van Classic Promaster that sleeps four.

http://www.greatwestvans.com/2014-classic/
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The Travato 59G would probably do for 2 small kids sleeping on the dinnette. But not sure where all the clothes and other stuff would go. You might get by with a K if they were to sleep on the floor in sleeping bags, but that would be really tight I'd think.

You could probably do a Era 170x if you can get the things which turn the captains chairs into bunks. I know a thing like that is made for a Roadtrek, but not sure it would work on an Era.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Here is the Great West Van Classic Promaster that sleeps four.

http://www.greatwestvans.com/2014-classic/
Aren't they out of business?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We don't know that for sure about Sterling (Great West Van). The website is still up and they say there are two sides to the story. Of course, out of business or not, their Classic would be a good weekender as Scott is looking for. I couldn't use it as a tourer the way we have been traveling.

We have traveled with our son and two grandsons long distance. We used a tent.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Tow a pop-up.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes, the tent is actually a pretty decent option.. That's what we do now with a conversion van..
But we were hoping to upgrade a little, especially on those rainy nights..
We don't want to tow anything, in my opinion, that would be worse than a C. We want to stay mobile. Also like the thought of using the van occasionally as a runner or second vehicle.. Part of the appeal of the Travato is that I could slide a few 2x4s or something in there on occasion if need be. (My other vehicle is a small car).
Old 07-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Oooooh... Great west layout looks interesting, I'll have to check that out when I get to a real computer...
Old 07-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
Bronze Member

What about a sportsmobile?
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
Platinum Member

There are many of these still out on the road and although older may be what you need. Somewhere in the mid 2000s Roadtrek quit making these. They still have models with 4 chairs but not convertible. Scroll down and you will see how tge front beds are done. I realize that these vans will not get Travatos fuel mileage but the $60k you save can buy a lot of gas not to mention the insurance savings. http:// http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=151733924284&cat egory=50058&pm=1&ds=0&t=1435970183615
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
What about a sportsmobile?
You are right. Sportsmobile would be another option. You need to be more specific with Sportsmobile. Do they have a four sleeper plan in a van? If so, is it acceptable? Keep in mind Sportsmobile is a very versatile company, allows you to do your own layout, but seems to be plans from a kit of parts kind of company. Do they have the parts to create a decent four sleeper van say like the Great West Classic if you wanted to emulate it? Would they vary from their kit of parts? I don't know that answer but I haven't seen it in their examples unless they did something custom for someone and then added it to their kit of parts. Those are my questions. I also know from experience if starting out with a clean slate idea you have a lot to learn and you need some skills to convey your ideas. It is not easy. Saying all that I believe Sportsmobile had options to sleep four. It has been many years since I investigated. Scott might like them. However, it was another one I found unacceptable for my needs and desires. But then my needs are not Scott's.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Stan, yeah, those and some old road treks would do the job, but they are even more confined then some of the Promaster/sprinter options. Some of them you can barely turn around in. And they don't really SAVE you 60,000. Actually I could buy a brand new 2014 Travato FOR 60,000. Some of these older units like that one pictured are priced at 30,000 "pre-worn"... But yes, again, that is one of the exact floor plans (with the sleeper seats) I was looking for..

Ski ore and davydd, sports mobile was an option too. I was thinking of a great layout with their pop top on top of it for the seldom used extra bed.. Alas, they will not do the pop top on a high roof van.. Colorado campers said they would, but does not seem very concerned with returning correspondence (which is not good). And davyd, you hit it right on the head about sports mobile, they don't seem to want to veer from there pre made plans and furniture very much. I was pretty happy with my past sports mobile, but they don't seem to want to be very creative....
Old 07-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Keep at it with Colorado camper vans. There is no office staff so he's building vans and corresponding when he can. He will build a poptop on a hightop van like a Promaster but his cabinet work is not up to Sportsmobile standards and not Sportsmobile price either. Look up Colorado camper vans on YouTube. His tops are superior to Sportsmobiles and I loved my Sportsmobile top on my last van but his are taller , wider and can even be made with insulation in the fabric walls.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Did I miss something? I looked at the eBay post and did not see a $30k price. Those go between $15k -$20k of that era. The mid 2000s can go up to the low $30k range. I only used the 97 to show the front seats. It's a shame they went away from that extra bed set-up. Might be new regulations. If the four sleeping Travato 59g keeps kicking butt , Roadtrek may have to start making those convertible beds again.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Stan, agreed again. Colorado camper looks to make a great top. How cool would it be to have a Travato style floor plan with that huge bedroom on top? It'd be like two bedrooms in a van! I think Pop tops may be underrated. My experience was wonderful.
And I double checked the prices, and you are right on on that also. I was overstating the prices of the older units.. They can be had cheaper (albeit nearly 20 years old). Are you trying to ruin the argument I am having with myself trying to justify the expense of a new rig?
I appreciate y'all's input. Whether it's 20 or $70000, it still represents a great investment for me, and I don't want to make a wrong choice, or skip by one not knowing it even existed...
Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Well . . . If you want new, I can't help you. but if you're OK with a used, I have a Leisure van (but not for sale) that has 4 captains chairs and sleeps four. Two in the rear large bed, and two in the captain chairs that convert into 2 comfy single beds. Even has room for our Boxer dog.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Johnny R,
Yes , thats one on my radar now too. Thanks. You got a rare find there, let me know if your ready to sell it.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #20

My Great West Classic Supreme mid-galley model does what you want. This is why we bought it years ago. It is in CT if you want to see it.
sailorCT is offline   Reply With Quote