Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Default Class B Toy and Gear Hauler??

I see camping trailers in various sizes set up where the 2 rear beds fold flat against the wall and the entire back of the trailer is a garage for motorcycles, kayaks, 4 wheeler, bikes, moving your kid's stuff to college, buying a couch, etc., etc. The beds also serve as couches and I've even seen fold-up bunk beds.

There's the Winnebago Revel (list price of $163,000) which sort of does this or I'm sure I can get one of these custom built by Sportsmobile or some other company, but I'm curious if there are any factory made Class B vans set up as toy haulers? Again, I know about the Revel.

A modular stove, fridge, sink unit along with a tiny sailboat size toilet/shower could go right behind the front two seats and the rest would be garage with the fold-up couch beds. If there was room for 1 or 2 removable passenger chairs it would be great but that might make for a long van.

I like the Travatos and other similar Class B vans but they are good for two people on a road trip and not much else. If I'm going to get something this big and this expensive, I need it to be versatile and use it around home when I'm not on a trip. It seems like this could be a low-cost entry-level van that a lot of people would use.

I've attached 3 pics of the inside of a trailer to show what I'm talking about. Your comments will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_7fa5.jpeg (240.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_7fa6.jpeg (228.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_7fa7.jpeg (228.2 KB, 21 views)
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Before getting a Roadtrek I had looked at possibly a smaller toy hauler to pull behind some sort of pick up. One of the problems, you can have equipment stink in your cabin, and another, is the lack of permanent space devoted to living. You would have to remove whatever you're hauling to sleep. We elected to obtain an enclosed cargo trailer as our toy hauler. It's working out fine.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Safari Condo XL Flex fits that toyhauler Class B category, at least for human powered sports:
https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...-xl21-xl-flex/
It's available in both Promaster and Sprinter chassis versions as a factory built model in Canada. However purchasing one in states is more complicated.

The Fit RV folks did a nice review and video walk-thru of the XL flex here:
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...unicorn-alert/
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:08 AM   #4

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd mostly be hauling bicycles and maybe a kayak but I can't emphasize enough how I'd like for it to be useful around home as a utility vehicle.
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
One of the problems, you can have equipment stink in your cabin, and another, is the lack of permanent space devoted to living. You would have to remove whatever you're hauling to sleep...
On the Winnebago Revel you do need to remove gear before sleeping, particularly taller items such as bikes, because the bed must be lowered all the way to obtain full sleeping length from the side flare-outs. That was our biggest disappointment when we first saw the Revel.

However the Safari Condo XL Flex uses a lengthwise bed that retains full sleeping size at any height. One of the forum members has posted a photo of their XL Flex with four bikes and a variety of watersports and outdoor gear stowed underneath the raised bed, which can be left permanently made up for sleeping.

I haven't found most human-powered outdoor gear to be very smelly inside our van. But motorcycles or gasoline driven scooters would certainly be another matter. Stowing mountain bikes after riding cow trails would probably deserve a spray down first also!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote