Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Gold Member

Default Re: Coffee Maker engineering 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Hi VQ,
I had a quick look around your website and was wondering where you had it done, and how
much your "off the grid" installation cost? I've got 2 12V coach batteries now, an Onan 2800 Genny,
and a built in converter charger. I was thinking about adding some panels and a charge controller and
probably some sort of larger capacity inverter at some point, but I'm not very solar/electronics savvy.
Was it in Port Angeles, WA? How long does it take to replenish your 4 6V batteries after a nights use?
Sorry, if I'm being too nosey, no problem. I'm just curious.
Thanks.
I just realized you were talking about my old Class C Toyota. I bought the solar panels (2 Kyocera 130 Watt), the Inverter for that job (Xantrex Xpower 1750) and the controller, cables, etc for a little over $2100, the batteries were a little over $100 each on top of that. The batterybox was built from wood and fiberglass and vented to the outside. I did the work here in Port Angeles in the shop in front of the RV in that picture. The installation worked quite well and even in Washington from spring to summer, my batteries could go back to full charge from 50% rather quickly. It has been a while, and I sold that rig fairly soon after that install, but I never had an issue with needing power after that. I didn't put that much demand on it either though.

Hope that helps a little, sorry for not remembering all the specifics.

-Mike & Heidi
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://vantramps.blogspot.com

visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Helps a lot. Wish I had the courage to give it a try myself. I've certainly got the time.
Just not the skill or knowledge.
Wonder if there's a step by step book out there with "cookbook" instructions on "how to"
install a complete solar powered battery system on a Roadtrek or any other class B?
Thanks Mike.
Mike.

RV - 2016 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE (Ford F53, Triton V10 3 valve, 6 speed transmission) - SOLD (sort of)
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Gold Member

Glad to hear it Mike! You know, modifying stuff is much easier than most people think. Yeah you have to have a little confidence to try it, but once you get past that point, it is really just a matter of breaking the big project down into tiny manageable pieces then focusing on each until they are done before moving on. You can find about anything you need to online or by asking people who might know on a forum like this. Installing a solar setup is actually much easier than many projects you may tackle in the future. It is also probably one of the most well documented projects you might find. If you ever decide to tackle it and need a question answered etc, feel free to ask me here or in email.

-Mike & Heidi
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://vantramps.blogspot.com

(Sorry for getting so OT) Back to the subject at hand which is that wonderful brown liquid we all love!

visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote