Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Coffee Maker engineering 101

Hello. I'm new to the forum as we just purchased a 2006 RT 210 Popular. Previously had a 36 foot Pace Arrow. Looking forward to sharing information, and I'm looking for creative ideas other users have done for a coffee maker. I know the B&D undercabinet models fit perfect in my space, but they were all recalled due to scalding, etc. If members here have any of them, I'd be interested in your feedback on how they work for you. Other than that, I am looking for options to use an on counter model, maybe built in with a raise/lower shelf, or slide out shelf, or ??? Your input greatly appreciated since we're both hooked on coffe and gotta have it for traveling soon.

Bob
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Coffee Maker engineering 101

Here's the link to the recall for model numbers ODC440, ODC440B, ODC450 and ODC460

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09252.html

and here's a link for their other Spacemaker products:

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances....-products.aspx

Model ODC425 looks ideal for RV use.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-O.../dp/B0001LB9S0

I currently use a normal countertop coffee maker and have to pack it away after each use.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
Bronze Member

mark, i saw the recalls, and it's strange that it only includes the certain models. reading reviews seems to indicate they are all the same and many problems. i'd love to hear from the class b forum owners who have the Black & Decker undercabinet models to see what they have to say about them. second opinions always work for me.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybob
Hello. I'm new to the forum as we just purchased a 2006 RT 210 Popular. Previously had a 36 foot Pace Arrow. Looking forward to sharing information, and I'm looking for creative ideas other users have done for a coffee maker. I know the B&D undercabinet models fit perfect in my space, but they were all recalled due to scalding, etc. If members here have any of them, I'd be interested in your feedback on how they work for you. Other than that, I am looking for options to use an on counter model, maybe built in with a raise/lower shelf, or slide out shelf, or ??? Your input greatly appreciated since we're both hooked on coffe and gotta have it for traveling soon.

Bob
Funny you should ask. Here's my adventure looking for a coffee maker for travel purposes.
Some good comments from members of this forum on their travel coffee solutions.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1351&p=5470&hilit=coffee#p547 0

We liked the Hamilton Beach Stay or Go so much we use it for everyday coffee as well. (on counter)
It's biggest advantage for us is, it doesn't need continuous power to keep the coffee hot.
Brews, then the brew system shuts down and the insulated carafe keeps the coffee hot.
It's a good solution for us, as we like to boondock or dry camp (I prefer to think of it as
minimalist camping ) so we needed a coffee maker that doesn't use a warming plate.

Good luck,
Mike.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It seemed to me that the potential for scalding in that B&D recall was wayyy over-stated. We got the replacement basket in about 4 weeks, but kept the old basket as a spare and have no qualms about using it.

Dan
2008 RSA
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Mike, the Hamilton Bch is on the top of our list if we do not go with the B&D which fits so well.

Dan, sounds like you got a different basket sent to you relative to the recall. Is this right? Can you tell the difference in styling? What model do you have, and do you have pics of the two baskets?

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybob
Mike, the Hamilton Bch is on the top of our list if we do not go with the B&D which fits so well.
If you've got a perfect fit with a built in (under counter) I'd probably stick with it.

In our case, we didn't have anything, got tired of the driving/searching for a good morning cup
of coffee wherever we happened to be, and we're not usually "plugged in". We've got a generator
to power a coffee maker, but we didn't want to have to run it while enjoying a cup, to keep a
regular glass carafe hot. The HB was our best solution with it's stainless insulated carafe
and only needs power during the brewing process. We figure we can probably find a secluded
enough area near most camp grounds to fire the genny up for the 12-13 minutes it takes to
brew a full pot. The carafe does a great job keeping the coffee hot for well over an hour.

Another facet of the coffee project is looking for retailers who carry the Land O Lakes
Mini-Moos creamers in the US. I sent them an email asking about retailers in Canada, but
they don't have any. We figure they have a pretty good shelf life without refrigeration, so
we want to pick some up when we cross the border on our travels south. We're also looking
for grocery store chains that have "grind your own" stations to get our own fresh ground
coffee when we're down in the US. Maybe you know of some? Publix? Winn Dixie? Piggly Wiggly?
Up here in Canada we get our beans fresh and grind them at Fortinos or Loblaws RC SuperStores.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Gold Member

My wife and I are completely non-functional without coffee in the morning and have really been experimenting with several ways of making an acceptable cup of jo in the morning. We were pretty happy with using a french press for a while but cleaning it can be a serious drag. The need to carry another container is a bit of a hassle too. We have settled on just using our teapot to boil water then using the coffee singles (like tea bags). The coffee is quick and the mess is minimal. On the days when we want something better, we stop at the local diner or coffee shop wherever we might be.

It isn't perfect, but it works for us. I don't want to lose any space even under counter to a coffee pot even though we have plenty of battery and inverter to run one.

-Mike & Heidi
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://vantramps.blogspot.com
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Hi VQ,
I had a quick look around your website and was wondering where you had it done, and how
much your "off the grid" installation cost? I've got 2 12V coach batteries now, an Onan 2800 Genny,
and a built in converter charger. I was thinking about adding some panels and a charge controller and
probably some sort of larger capacity inverter at some point, but I'm not very solar/electronics savvy.
Was it in Port Angeles, WA? How long does it take to replenish your 4 6V batteries after a nights use?
Sorry, if I'm being too nosey, no problem. I'm just curious.
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
Gold Member

Hi Mike, actually, I do all of my own work. I move pretty slow(almost in reverse) due to my CF, but get it done eventually. The Blog for the Prosine and batteries will be up pretty quick, right after I finish detailing the shower build which should be by tomorrow. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Here or in email

-Mike & Heidi
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Hi VQ,
I had a quick look around your website and was wondering where you had it done, and how
much your "off the grid" installation cost? I've got 2 12V coach batteries now, an Onan 2800 Genny,
and a built in converter charger. I was thinking about adding some panels and a charge controller and
probably some sort of larger capacity inverter at some point, but I'm not very solar/electronics savvy.
Was it in Port Angeles, WA? How long does it take to replenish your 4 6V batteries after a nights use?
Sorry, if I'm being too nosey, no problem. I'm just curious.
Thanks.
I just realized you were talking about my old Class C Toyota. I bought the solar panels (2 Kyocera 130 Watt), the Inverter for that job (Xantrex Xpower 1750) and the controller, cables, etc for a little over $2100, the batteries were a little over $100 each on top of that. The batterybox was built from wood and fiberglass and vented to the outside. I did the work here in Port Angeles in the shop in front of the RV in that picture. The installation worked quite well and even in Washington from spring to summer, my batteries could go back to full charge from 50% rather quickly. It has been a while, and I sold that rig fairly soon after that install, but I never had an issue with needing power after that. I didn't put that much demand on it either though.

Hope that helps a little, sorry for not remembering all the specifics.

-Mike & Heidi
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Helps a lot. Wish I had the courage to give it a try myself. I've certainly got the time.
Just not the skill or knowledge.
Wonder if there's a step by step book out there with "cookbook" instructions on "how to"
install a complete solar powered battery system on a Roadtrek or any other class B?
Thanks Mike.
Mike.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Gold Member

Glad to hear it Mike! You know, modifying stuff is much easier than most people think. Yeah you have to have a little confidence to try it, but once you get past that point, it is really just a matter of breaking the big project down into tiny manageable pieces then focusing on each until they are done before moving on. You can find about anything you need to online or by asking people who might know on a forum like this. Installing a solar setup is actually much easier than many projects you may tackle in the future. It is also probably one of the most well documented projects you might find. If you ever decide to tackle it and need a question answered etc, feel free to ask me here or in email.

-Mike & Heidi

(Sorry for getting so OT) Back to the subject at hand which is that wonderful brown liquid we all love!