Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Converting Roadtrek Agile from Ecotrek to AGM

By now, everyone is aware of how problematic Roadtrek's Ecotrek Lithium based systems are. I won't go into my issues, except to say, in the two or so years since I've owned it, my 2016 Roadtrek Agile has been in the shop more than on the road and every single component has been replaced, some at least twice, and the whole rig has been completely rewired. Still not working completely.

Well, at this point, I'm thinking I should just rip the damn thing out and have my service guys reconfigure the whole thing with Old Skool AGM batteries and all the safe as houses systems that used to be part of the bombproof rigs that Roadtrek used to make.

Since obviously, this is going to be on my dime as I'm pretty sure EHNA is not going to resurface any time soon to honor the rest of my warranty, I'm looking for people who have done similar retrofits.

How did it go?
ARe you problem free now?
What components do you swear by/recommend?
Any specific advice?

Thanks in advance for all your help and excuse me if I've not posted this in the right forum. Newbie here.

TerrierTude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

How many amp hours of AGM are you planning for?

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
Bronze Member

If I am going to go through the expense of this process, I would like to have as many AGMs as are practical. That said, I am not an energy hog. I have never run my air conditioning and would prefer not to. I get by fine, even in the desert with the Fantastic Fan, open windows and Reflectix. I've never used the microwave and wouldn't if boondocking, but I might want to use an electric kettle. I also have solar lights that I prefer to use instead of the LEDs (solar gives a softer light). But I would like to have a day or two of reliable house power without running the engine. I do want to put on the inverter and cook something in my Instant Pot pressure cooker which draws 75 watts (and that cooks most things in under an hour). I'd also like to be able to charge phones and laptops. I seldom watch the TV, but would like the option of watching a DVD or two if I got bored at night boondocking. However, having to run the engine to power batteries once a day is not a dealbreaker. Since the rig is my car, even when boondocking, I'm usually driving somewhere to a trailhead, so that gets the job done. I have the EcoTrek 400 AMP hr lithium power module. I have a small AGM as well, but all it really does is charge up the Lithium. Also i have solar. I would like more power than this.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Consider contacting AM Solar https://amsolar.com/

They could likely figure out what needs to be replaced to give you an acceptable system.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

For smaller draw electrics do you have a portable 150 or 300 w inverter? This is what we use for charging, TV and the other small electric users. We then rarely put on the vans inverter except for coffee and microwave which is very quick.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I've found a really good portable inverter/battery that charges from the wall, from solar and from a car cigarette lighter charger while you drive. I'm planning to get that for small quick 110 energy needs, especially while boondocking. I'm pretty good about wise energy usage. Backup is always wise. But I do want to get my rig to the point where it actually fricken works reliably.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Gold Member

Are all your current batteries in the back with the inverter/charger above under the rear bed?
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Bronze Member

The Lithium and the inverter are in the back. The AGM is up front under the hood. I have been told that it's much better not to have such a long distance line connection. Obviously storage space is minimal in an Agile and my "trunk" is teeny. So I know I'm going to have to make some decisions about how much space to give up to batteries.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Gold Member

I have a 2015 that I opted for the 4 AGM and generator. I am glad that I went that route since I don't have your issues. But now I am facing a battery issue because it appears the inverter/charger is not charging properly. So, like you I am considering upgrading and skipping the warranty. Unfortunately 2 batteries are in the front and the other 2 are in the rear. There is just no way to efficiently wire the 4.

I am waiting to hear what the dealer determines to be the real issue. From there either some warranty work or buy new batteries and a Magnum and live with the poor battery configuration.

Why is there a battery in the front of your Agile?

Pat
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I think that's just where there was space for it so that's where Roadtrek puts it. Again, my AGM is tiny and really does nothing more than goose up the Lithium.

I know I sound like an anti-progress Luddite to reject Lithium for AGM. But my husband is an Old Skool boat guy. There is no more extreme conditions for battery and electrical systems than the ocean. He's had a Magnum inverter and AGM battery system that has worked problem-free for 9 years. I also dare you to find a boat manufacturer who is using Lithium. IT just seems temperamental. I also like the idea that, if one goes out, I can buy another at Napa Auto Parts or O'Reilley's and almost any garage can hook it back up.

I'm not boondocking off the grid and without turning on my engine for weeks at a time. I just need reliable power for a few days at upper most. Even while boondocking, I'll still be firing up the engine to drive to a trailhead somewhere.

I know Lithium promises the moon, but I've had nothing but troubles with it. And the more people I meet with Lithium, the more problems I hear about.

Tags
agile, agm, ecotrek, lithium, roadtrek