Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #21

Coleman Road Trip LX Grill hooked to the rig's propane connection for outdoor grilling.

Three burner propane stove inside.

Convection Microwave that nukes, bakes, roasts and grills inside on shore power or gennie.

Stand alone induction burner for inside or outside use on shore power.

Don't know how many more cooking methods are needed.

The idea of frozen, vacuum-packed food or meals is a good one.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #22

We use the 3 quart Insta Pot in our B, and a Gonzo Grill system for outdoor cooking and grilling. Works great for us and takes very little space in the B.
sgmpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blacklabs View Post
Moving from an A to a B with a much smaller kitchen. Is a crock pot or insta pot a more usable piece if equipment. Since storage is smaller want to make sure I stay with something I would use often
I love our Instant Pot at home (8 qt) and have been thinking of getting the 3 qt for the RV.

If all you are going to do is slow cooking, then a $17 Crock Pot makes sense. But the Instant Pot does so much more (and you can slow-cook with the 7-in-1 model), and so much faster, it seems worth the $77 to me. (Current Amazon Prices for the name-brand of each).

While the instant pot is probably going to use less power overall (less heat escaping), at 700w (while the element is on) it is going to require a sizeable inverter, a generator, or shore power. At 170w, the Crock Pot could run off even a small inverter--albeit for many hours.

I used to cook ribs at home in our Crock Pot for 10-14 hours for fall-off-the-bone tenderness, but to get the same tenderness only takes 1 hour in the Instant Pot. That's 2-3 times as much total energy to cook something in a Crock Pot (~2000 W-hrs) versus the Instant Pot (~700 W-hrs). (In reality, both will probably take less total energy since the element won't be on the full time in either.)
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #24
Bronze Member

We have both a 3 qt. and a 6 qt. Instant Pot but take just the 3 qt. in our B. Our 3 qt. 6 in 1 and has the slow cooker method and is almost $20.00 cheaper than the 7 in 1. I wouldn't use the added features in the 7 but other folks might. For the savings you could purchase an extra pot or the glass lid when doing slow cooking. Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:14 AM   #25
Platinum Member

I have a medium sized crockpot that will make enough for at least 2 meals for the two of us. We usually use it on "driving days", secured in the sink. We looked at the 3 quart Instapot but it has too small a capacity and a larger footprint. We often make curries or stews with a protein, one or two vegies and potatoes. The 3 Qt Instapot isn't large enough.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
This. You're camping, get out and enjoy the outdoors. If you wanted to cook indoors then you should have stayed at home.
What a ridiculous comment, as if everyone has to camp the way you do. Also, what if it's raining?
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #27
Bronze Member

I too thought it was a rude comment as well as unfounded. No one needs to explain their rv lifestyle. There is no right or wrong to our personal choices. Glad this is not a regular occurrence here.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
I have a medium sized crockpot that will make enough for at least 2 meals for the two of us. We usually use it on "driving days", secured in the sink. We looked at the 3 quart Instapot but it has too small a capacity and a larger footprint. We often make curries or stews with a protein, one or two vegies and potatoes. The 3 Qt Instapot isn't large enough.
How do you secure it ?
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
What a ridiculous comment, as if everyone has to camp the way you do. Also, what if it's raining?
I laughed when I read the insult. Who says the Instant Pot has to be used indoors? This summer I ran an extension cord from the rear plug to the picnic table.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
We just have a 3 qt instant pot and generally find that when cooking recipes, it will hold enough to make meals for us two days - or at least either a dinner and a lunch for two.

Often we use recipes sized for four people and everything seems to fit within the "max" line of the instant pot. If the recipe seems as though it is going to be too much, we just scale it down a bit.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #31
Bronze Member

AGM or lithium?
dvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Thank you for the Sou Vide idea! Genius !!! We are thinking of using ours to pre cook meals as we are not gone for long at a time.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #33
Platinum Member

This is an old thread, revived, so let me update my previous two cents.

We choose not to use an electric device such as a crock pot or Instant Pot. We almost never have hookups, and we have too many more important demands on our solar/lithium electrical system, such as fridge, power tools, drone, and other devices.

I'm on the look-out for a small propane-fired analog to a slow-cooking electric crock pot, and if anyone has experience with that, please cite a product.

This year, we added a Clam Venture screened room to our inventory. It stores on our van roof where the inflatable kayak used to be (because I grew to despise inflatable kayaks and ceased carrying one).

We also added a Magma grill and a cast iron pan with a detachable handle which allows its lid to close. The Magma / cast iron combo can grill, fry, and bake.

I'm also acquiring a selection of smaller refillable propane bottles to help fuel both the Magma and that as-yet-to-be-discovered crock pot analog. In stores, propane bottles are typically restricted to 20 pound and 1 pound ends of the spectrum, but 5 and 11 pound options are also out there, and are much easier to carry in a small space.

On another thread, I mentioned that frying food inside a Class B will inevitably result in grease residue accumulating on inside surfaces. Even with a splatter cover and a roof fan running, some amount of this is inevitable in such a small space. I don't like it, hence the combination of outdoor cooking plus screened room.

If using electrical hook-ups, an extension cord could be run to a screened room on rainy days for devices such as a crock pot or Instant pot.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper;8yep2833
This. You're camping, get out and enjoy the outdoors. If you wanted to cook indoors then you should have stayed at home.
Yep, especially when one is a meat eater and the other is a vegetarian!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote