Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Silver Member

Question crazy? 2 sliders: 22’ Transit?

Is it crazy to have 2 slider doors on a 22’ Transit?

Hi all

Other than cost - what downsides to having a slider door on both (stock) passenger side, but also a slider on the drivers side.... ?

And - any idea of rough cost to have Ford add the 2nd slider during manufacture ?

Why? You may ask....

So - Thinking about getting a high roof 22’ Transit - I would order it from Ford to have just the options we want, and none we don’t.

Would put in a single captains chair behind the driver. So the 3 of us can go camping. Would have a minimal interior with bed in the back.

(So no we don’t want the bench seat in the 2nd row)

I just realized that our very narrow driveway next to our house has a big wall on the passenger side (if we drove van right into driveway - where it would always be parked) and so the stock slider on the passenger side of van would open right into a wall very close by.

There is much more loading space on the drivers side.

Oh yeah and backing all the way in would be tricky - and then the driver door would be very difficult to open if I backed in.

Thanks.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The down side is you have to leave that space open on both sides of the van, which reduces the amount of space you can use for the galley, bathroom, and other cabinets. Although, if you're building your own, you could go ahead & put a counter in front of the passenger side door & just not use that door.

According to the Transit website, the driver side sliding door is a $650 option on the high roof van.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
The down side is you have to leave that space open on both sides of the van, which reduces the amount of space you can use for the galley, bathroom, and other cabinets. Although, if you're building your own, you could go ahead & put a counter in front of the passenger side door & just not use that door.

According to the Transit website, the driver side sliding door is a $650 option on the high roof van.
Thanks

Yeah it is looking as if our van build would be minimal - so no shower - just a small cabinet for a Port A Potty.

And no kitchen.

Plus that area would have the captains chair - right behind the driver - so in some ways having a 2nd slider behind the driver would be nice for having 2 ways in and out of the main body of the van. Plus lots of cross breeze on hot days.

Anyone know of any downsides to a 2nd slider, in terms of maybe a bunch more road noise ? Or something like that. (?)

Thanks.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Go for it. If I had been willing to wait for an order, I'd have one in my PM. Can't really think of a downside.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote