Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Creampuff Roadtreks are out there if you look...

OK, how many of you have actually looked for a 5 to 6 years old Roadtrek as opposed to purchasing a brand new coach??

Apparently, used low mileage Roadtrek's are not easy to find unless you know where to look... We got lucky getting this one from the original owners.

You can save a lot of money on initial depreciation and get a nicer rig... vs. buying new in my opinion.

We found our 2012 Roadtrek Adventurous last May 2017 at a dealer while considering a Winnebago Navion. The original owners traded it in to purchase a Navion.... and we fell in love with this rig for the price and the way it drives.

We've had a few issues... mostly with the Mercedes.. they replaced the entire emissions system under warranty...the warranty for this is 8 years or 80,000 miles.. yes, we have the DEF Bluetec system...

Here's what I got see link below.....it's very nice, I think, for $79,000 before taxes, etc. This all adds up fast.

New tires and batteries
Zamp Solar system and controller
Kenwood DNX 893S, front and rear cameras
Rear proximity sensors
Replaced propane sensor because it timed out..
Replaced old and cracked dump hose... probably due to climate conditions...

Some other service items at Mercedes. .. glow plugs went our prematurely, and we had an issue with the emissions system....

Thankfully, Mercedes Benz replaced the entire emissions system on our 2011 under WARRANTY.... that's right, it's 8 years or 80,000 miles.

We now have brand new updated NOX sensors, catalytic converter and a whole lot of other stuff.... saved us $4,000

This week we're getting a complete suspension upgrade.. new KONI FSD shocks, trac bar and anti-sway bar.

The upgrade for the suspension is $3,100... only $780 is labor, rest parts...
You know, when you're out on the road... being safe is number 1.

A couple of people said "air suspension" , BUT, I think that's way overkill for a Class B...

An estimate total investment of $107,000 ...

As a comparison, I looked at the 2017 RS Adventurous ... had about 3,000 miles ... they wanted $155,000...

Funny how the 2017 model was very similarly equipped with solar, etc. and it was a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter... everyone does this, uses last year's model and does the conversion.

So, for having 23,000 miles more on the 2012 than the brand new one... we saved a lot of cash...

Pics and details at this link;

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708

We've already taken the rig across the USA once...and plan more trips.....I see so many people with big Class A's and other larger rigs that sit around and never go anywhere... I didn't want to be that person...... purchased it with 26,000 miles... now has 41,000....

Diesels are longer term engines... just getting started... my Mercedes dealership said it's not even broken in yet...

Overall, I think Roadtrek has pretty decent quality... and they have been accelerating the pace recently.. hopefully they don't tarnish their reputation with lower quality products... the Sunlight V1 series by Erwin Hymer seems pretty bare bones.

My very reputable RV shop advised me that we need new shocks due to the extra heavy load that the RS carries with the dual wheels.... and the original shocks (Sachs) are not really meant for the constant weight of the RV...

We had some issues on our cross country trip with handling in winds and over uneven surfaces... Our last trip to the Central Coast just cinched it for me... I'm glad I'm doing the upgrade on the suspension.

Give the folks at Super Steer a call if you have any concerns with your handling, they're in Grants Pass, Oregon... they're helping me with the solution for my suspension. They can be reached at 888-266-8246... talk with Dave.

The folks at Super Steer told me a number of clients who purchase a "brand new" Class B still have the upgrade done on the suspension from Day 1.

Here's another website if you're looking for a used model...good luck.

Roadtreks for Sale - Road Trek International

Would welcome your input... we're planning on keeping this rig for another 5 to 7 years at least.... long term maintenance is the only thing that has me concerned overall..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Cream-puff other brands are out there as well, often being sold by flippers.

Ours was a 7-year-old Airstream Interstate with about $25,000 miles when we bought it. We proceeded to spend three years upgrading its systems. If someone wants to put in the sweat equity, they can buy lightly used and develop for themselves a fully-outfitted off-grid rig that includes lithium and solar and a whole lot of other stuff for $45,000 - $75,000 price range, depending on how high-end they want their components to be.

Depending on the brand chosen, it doesn't have to include Grandma styling, either. Everyone is entitled to their own specific taste, but I just could not bear to look at that RT shown in the link. If I'm going to spend all that money and time on developing a rig, I want something that is pleasing to my eye as well as highly functional.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Different styles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Cream-puff other brands are out there as well, often being sold by flippers.

Ours was a 7-year-old Airstream Interstate with about $25,000 miles when we bought it. We proceeded to spend three years upgrading its systems. If someone wants to put in the sweat equity, they can buy lightly used and develop for themselves a fully-outfitted off-grid rig that includes lithium and solar and a whole lot of other stuff for $45,000 - $75,000 price range, depending on how high-end they want their components to be.

Depending on the brand chosen, it doesn't have to include Grandma styling, either. Everyone is entitled to their own specific taste, but I just could not bear to look at that RT shown in the link. If I'm going to spend all that money and time on developing a rig, I want something that is pleasing to my eye as well as highly functional.
YES, I suppose there's minimalist vans out there with hard sufaces and garish colors as well???

When you said $25,000 miles I wasn't sure if meant $25,000 or 25,000 miles....

Maybe you are comfortable doing all this work yourself...I'm not...
Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

LOL that's what happens when I try to type too early in the morning.

I WISH it had been $25,000. Far from it.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Looks like you got a really good deal!

Here's a picture for anybody who might want to see it just quickly:

Your interior seems really spacious with tons of storage. I like it!

I also really like the staging they did. Sounds silly (and it is) but I like it when they treat these vans like a home instead of just a regular old vehicle.

We also opted for a used vehicle that we fully knew we would upgrade. I go into details of why we chose this option in this post.

BTW, don't worry about what others think about your van. There's so many different styles and not everybody is the same. The important thing is that you enjoy it!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default That's why there's 31 Flavors at Baskin Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Looks like you got a really good deal!

Here's a picture for anybody who might want to see it just quickly:

Your interior seems really spacious with tons of storage. I like it!

I also really like the staging they did. Sounds silly (and it is) but I like it when they treat these vans like a home instead of just a regular old vehicle.

We also opted for a used vehicle that we fully knew we would upgrade. I go into details of why we chose this option in this post.

BTW, don't worry about what others think about your van. There's so many different styles and not everybody is the same. The important thing is that you enjoy it!
Matt,

UNDERSTOOD.. I'm not worried about what other people think about my RS... in fact, most people think it's pretty nice.. as I do.

Nice to always hear someone validate that we got a decent deal.... so, thank you for your comment...

You're absolutely correct .... the most important thing about using your rig is to enjoy it... no matter what the color, style, make or model... and be sure you're safe on the road...

This is my first RV.. I chose the Class B for the smaller foot print and better fuel efficiency. We found out about Roadtrek through a friend who had one... otherwise, I might not have heard about them....

We were originally looking at a Winnebago Navion and saw this trade at the local dealership... I test drove the Navion and Fuse ( both Class C's) and really liked this Roadtrek a lot more... the larger rigs felt like I was on a "boat".

Funny, your comment about lots of storage.... that's the ONE thing about a Class B.. that you have to get used to... there's NOT as much space as the Class C.... ( a lot of hype about a B plus... there's no such thing as B plus)... marketing BS...

My answer to the space problem is simple... take less stuff with you.. you're not at home.. leave all that extra stuff at home and just take the essentials with you. We managed to take it on a three month trip... with a stop for a few weeks... across country.. worked fine.

You'll notice in the photo link... we have the optional armoire cabinets..for storage up front... they can be removed and we can put in the two seats for four seats up front... the cabinets give us more organization... handy.

This is really a two person coach... the way we use it.. And, there's three additional seats on in the back bench seat if we needed it.

Another great thing about a Class B.... we'll NEVER overload the coach.... it can handle an additional 3,000 pounds of cargo including passengers.... Since there's only two of us and limited space for gear.... we'll never even come close to that number...

Lots of people with larger Class C and Class A rigs have tons of extra space and they fill those up to the gills with "stuff"... don't want to deal with that.. if I want extra stuff, I have that at home...

I read the post about you purchasing the 1999 for $20,000 and putting $40,000 in upgrades..? My question is how does that jive with you insurance company?? Are you covered for the FULL value in case of a loss or accident? I would be a little concerned about that?

How many miles are on your 1999 Roadtrek Versatile?? And that's a gas model...

My wife thinks we're kind of "over improving" our 2012..

My response to this is that there were several things necessary to get a vehicle like this "ready to roll"..... like new tires, batteries and fix that dump hose..ugh.

The other upgrades like a better camera, sound and navigation system, solar panel, proximity sensors etc. were just to make it more comfortable for me to drive and control my vehicle.

We've had it a year... and put almost 15,000 miles on the rig.... I'm not letting the grass grow under our feet and having the rig as a front driveway ornament.

After that trip across the entire USA... yeah, we went a lot of places.. coming back I'm realizing that yes, I need a more stable suspension. Did I expect this to happen at 41,000 miles... NO, I didn't, but, it's a lot of weight. Being safe is a number one priority for me.... It's $3,100 ... but losing my life, having an accident in the rig, is a whole lot more !!

I figure that the diesel engine ( if you don't consider the other stuff hanging on the motor like the emissions, water pump, fuel pump, etc. ) is good for 350,000 to 500,000 miles. That's a long way to go.... Some diesels have gone way further than 500,000 miles if properly maintained.. 19 MPG on the highway is kind of hard to beat on an RV..

Getting this coach as the 2nd owner from the original owners ( who were local to Southern California and in their 60s like we are) was a BIG PLUS for me. And the inside condition was immaculate.

You're' right when you said " there's no perfect coach"... never is.

My RV shop tells me that they have so many clients who have brought their rigs in for a suspension upgrade... seems like a lot of manufacturers of the base van don't consider the extra constant weight of the conversion and everything that's going to hang off the chassis.... three water tanks, black, fresh and gray... generator, plus all of the kitchen equipment inside and bathroom fixtures.

I'm sure that a lot of DIY folks out there can do a lot of work themselves from mechanical to building custom interiors... I say, more power to you...
And, you can customize it anyway you like...

Sounds like you and I have something in common, I like to have this work contracted out to a professional that knows exactly what they're doing... it will be done perfect the first time.

I purchased the van to USE and enjoy it... not make this a project... I know my limitations.

Well, I dropped off the van today for the suspension and will get it back later in the week.

Keep going on the upgrade... making it personal for your needs is all that counts.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Nice!

I wish I had looked a little longer and paid a little more for a RV in better condition. I have fixed a lot of stuff and some stuff I haven't been able to fix I'm just living with it as is.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default What do you have..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
Nice!

I wish I had looked a little longer and paid a little more for a RV in better condition. I have fixed a lot of stuff and some stuff I haven't been able to fix I'm just living with it as is.
Lennie,

I see rigs today that I didn't see last May 2017 when I purchased my RS Adventuous.. with less miles... don't beat yourself up... it's not worth it..

Waiting is always a crap shoot... I've had to put a lot of extra money into my coach right after I got it, tires, batteries, other things... It does add up...

What's your rig?? Attach a picture....
Old 05-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I bought the first used RV I looked at because it was the floor plan and length I wanted. It looks much better in the picture than in person. The roof leaked like a sieve, plus lots of other stuff and I learned it's better to do most everything myself than pay someone a lot of money to do a poor job that takes them 4 weeks.

It does have low miles but sometimes it's better to have a little more miles and more consistent use. It's a '05 Pleasure Way Plateau TS. I do enjoy it and now I understand 2 or 3 things will break and I fix 1 or 2 each time. Except this last trip I fixed a bunch of stuff and the repair list is relatively short at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprinter_pic.jpg (208.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Default The ROOF leaked... from where exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I bought the first used RV I looked at because it was the floor plan and length I wanted. It looks much better in the picture than in person. The roof leaked like a sieve, plus lots of other stuff and I learned it's better to do most everything myself than pay someone a lot of money to do a poor job that takes them 4 weeks.

It does have low miles but sometimes it's better to have a little more miles and more consistent use. It's a '05 Pleasure Way Plateau TS. I do enjoy it and now I understand 2 or 3 things will break and I fix 1 or 2 each time. Except this last trip I fixed a bunch of stuff and the repair list is relatively short at the moment.
Lennie, you say the roof leaked... is your roof metal or fiberglass? Or was it around one of the sealed openings around something installed on the roof.. or the windshield?

Pleasure Way builds a very decent product I'm told... how many miles are on this? What price did you pay and how long have you had it??

Yeah, fixing it yourself can save money...if you know what your're doing...
I don't work on my RV... I take it to my RV shop... or for mechanical work to the garage..

OK, so you have the 2.7 Five cylinder diesel engine..?? I've heard good things about that engine..
Old 05-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I bought my '96 Coachmen 19RD in 2015 with 26,000 miles on it for $5000. I've put about that much into since I've owned it for tires, suspension, and routine maintenance. $2k of that went to Cummins for the generator that had 26 hours on it... and sat idle for fifteen years. I turned 61,000 miles on it last weekend. It gets used... a LOT. I average around 13mpg with it... and pay NO depreciation, just whatever maintenance it needs. I feel REALLY good about using it, especially knowing that it has everything a new coach offers in the way of living amenities, and I can essentially use it as long as I want for the cost of gas and maintenance.

Yes, there ARE creampuff "other brands" out there if you're diligent, willing to travel to go pick it up, and know what you're getting into.

Untitled by Roger H, on Flickr

DSCF3482 by Roger H, on Flickr
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Lennie, you say the roof leaked... is your roof metal or fiberglass? Or was it around one of the sealed openings around something installed on the roof.. or the windshield? ....
I'm not Lennie but mine is built on a T1N Sprinter, same as Lennie's, so here's my take on the subject.

The roof is metal. The roof itself will develop leaks at its poorly-designed seams, which are lap-welded. Unless it is let go too long to the point where it requires structural rehab (patching, welding, etc.), the seam repair job is easy as a DIY (blog post here).

The T1N windshield is also legendary when it comes to leaking and it's basically impossible to fix it without removing the windshield (which requires a new replacement because removal almost always damages the original). I just did this job last week and found that my rig had started to leak, but the frame was not yet rusted. I found a good deal on the replacement, $285 installed, which hopefully will last my husband and me another 12 years.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default No bathroom door????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I bought my '96 Coachmen 19RD in 2015 with 26,000 miles on it for $5000. I've put about that much into since I've owned it for tires, suspension, and routine maintenance. $2k of that went to Cummins for the generator that had 26 hours on it... and sat idle for fifteen years. I turned 61,000 miles on it last weekend. It gets used... a LOT. I average around 13mpg with it... and pay NO depreciation, just whatever maintenance it needs. I feel REALLY good about using it, especially knowing that it has everything a new coach offers in the way of living amenities, and I can essentially use it as long as I want for the cost of gas and maintenance.

Yes, there ARE creampuff "other brands" out there if you're diligent, willing to travel to go pick it up, and know what you're getting into.

Untitled by Roger H, on Flickr

DSCF3482 by Roger H, on Flickr
Roger,

OK...few questions.... did the coach have any service records when you purchased it.. even a CarMax report?? In 2015...it had 26,000 miles.... where was this ?? For a Class B... that's really hard to believe.... even 61,000 miles seems extremely low.....is it possible that the vehicle odometer was rolled over or something when you got it?

I don't know.. I'm skeptical of extremely low mileage on a 19 years old vehicle....

I suppose there's a screen or drape around the bathroom..is the shower there as well?

The seats along the side look "cool" .... BUT, in an accident... WELL, let me just say...I wouldn't want to be there.... you probably won't survive there....

13 MPG... maybe that's why it didn't get used as much? Is this highway mileage?? Or city mileage or an average??

On the positive side....you sure got your money's worth....if you only have $10,000 invested...I'd say it's a bargain.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
The seats along the side look "cool" .... BUT, in an accident... WELL, let me just say...I wouldn't want to be there.... you probably won't survive there...
Are these side facing seats behind the driver any worse off than any other side facing seats in a Class B or were you just making a general comment?

It amazes me that the side facing seats, forward facing sofas have lap belts with no headrest and no shoulder restraints. Even a minor fender bender can cause one's head to whiplash into the side panel of the van or window. I am on the fence in purchasing one until I find a way to safely transport two grandchildren for under 80k. Seems like by the time I find one, the older grandchild will be big enough for the front passenger seat.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
Are these side facing seats behind the driver any worse off than any other side facing seats in a Class B or were you just making a general comment?

It amazes me that the side facing seats, forward facing sofas have lap belts with no headrest and no shoulder restraints. Even a minor fender bender can cause one's head to whiplash into the side panel of the van or window. I am on the fence in purchasing one until I find a way to safely transport two grandchildren for under 80k. Seems like by the time I find one, the older grandchild will be big enough for the front passenger seat.
as someone who has had whiplash twice... even with head rests... i shudder to think of the horrible injuries possible (likely) without shoulder belts and head rests.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

In an RV, only the front two seats must be built according to regulation.

The back seats are not regulated nor tests required.
ie the seat belts are just a marketing feature.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #17
Platinum Member

The roof is metal as it's a T1N Sprinter. Interblog you win, the seams on your T1N were worse than mine. I think all the seams on mine were leaking, one of the roof vents was cracked on 3 sides, the seams above the windshield were leaking which I discovered when it started raining on my feet during a long, wet drive. Every time I thought I had fixed all the leaks, I'd find a new one and it was a very rainy year (probably a good thing), so I just kept finding more leaks and more problems. There is a section of rust at the bottom of the windshield that I'm sure will have to be cut out and welded.

My RV sat unused for at least 5 years, a lot can deteriorate in that amount of time when it's left outside to rot in the sun. Someone tried to fix the leak in the bathroom by pulling the vent and reinstalled it using silicone, which doesn't stick to plastic so it leaked under the flange too and the silicone was incredibly difficult to remove from the paint. I replaced the bathroom vent and the fantastic vent in case it was cracked too.

My last trip the propane sensor went off the very first night and I had to pull the fuse to get it to stop and I was having problems with the refrigerator on propane, so I was a little paranoid for the whole trip. I replaced all the safety sensors/alarms and fire extinguisher when I returned.

I really wish it had a generator but I keep spending so much time and money on other stuff I'm not sure I will ever get one. The previous owners managed to put 42K miles on it without a generator so maybe I don't need one.

I enjoy my rig but others have cropped up online for a little more money in better condition, I wish I had waited. I didn't so I'll enjoy it for now and try to get my money's worth out of it. I've learned a lot having to fix so many things.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
I read the post about you purchasing the 1999 for $20,000 and putting $40,000 in upgrades..? My question is how does that jive with you insurance company?? Are you covered for the FULL value in case of a loss or accident? I would be a little concerned about that?

How many miles are on your 1999 Roadtrek Versatile?? And that's a gas model...

My wife thinks we're kind of "over improving" our 2012..

My response to this is that there were several things necessary to get a vehicle like this "ready to roll"..... like new tires, batteries and fix that dump hose..ugh.
Very simple. I have it evaluated by a third party, send the inspection report to the insurance and have them insure it based on the value in the report. I've done it on two other vans (with much lower values) with no problems.

But hopefully we never need to make a claim.

Quote:
The other upgrades like a better camera, sound and navigation system, solar panel, proximity sensors etc. were just to make it more comfortable for me to drive and control my vehicle.

After that trip across the entire USA... yeah, we went a lot of places.. coming back I'm realizing that yes, I need a more stable suspension. Did I expect this to happen at 41,000 miles... NO, I didn't, but, it's a lot of weight. Being safe is a number one priority for me.... It's $3,100 ... but losing my life, having an accident in the rig, is a whole lot more !!

My RV shop tells me that they have so many clients who have brought their rigs in for a suspension upgrade... seems like a lot of manufacturers of the base van don't consider the extra constant weight of the conversion and everything that's going to hang off the chassis.... three water tanks, black, fresh and gray... generator, plus all of the kitchen equipment inside and bathroom fixtures.
It's quite normal to upgrade the vehicle. First off, technology has changed and/or become more affordable (solar panels, back up cameras, etc.) Plus you might use it differently from the previous owner.

In regards to suspension, these RVs are built on commercial vehicles. They are built to haul around tools and materials up to the highest capacity possible with little regards to comfort. In the case of an RV, we have a fairly stable weight throughout the life of the vehicle. But RV manufactures barely touch the suspension as it becomes an added cost that customers aren't willing to pay for.

Having a suspension shop/mechanic adjust the suspension to what the vehicle has become (an RV) makes a lot of sense. In my case I went a little "overboard" but I'm building it to go just about anywhere. Plus the suspension is being adjusted to the proper weight. The upgrades are almost done! I can't wait to try it out properly in about 2-3 weeks!

Quote:
I'm sure that a lot of DIY folks out there can do a lot of work themselves from mechanical to building custom interiors... I say, more power to you...
And, you can customize it anyway you like...

Sounds like you and I have something in common, I like to have this work contracted out to a professional that knows exactly what they're doing... it will be done perfect the first time.

I purchased the van to USE and enjoy it... not make this a project... I know my limitations.

Well, I dropped off the van today for the suspension and will get it back later in the week.
I would love to do the work myself and save a bit of cash but unfortunately having the resources to do it ironically prevents you from enjoying it:

- First off, all the time it takes to build it takes away time from travelling.
- Second, having the space (garage) and tools to build the vehicle requires a fairly big house/property which requires more time and maitenance preventing you from going travelling for extended periods (we moved to a condo once I realized that).

Some will say that they love doing it. I did, but I like other things too.
Some will also say that you can do it in the driveway and find all sorts of other ways to do it without having a garage... Well, they don't live in Canada and good on them if they don't find it a hassle lying on the ground, working in rain, hauling tools in and out.

This is my 4th van. It took me while to figure it out!

So from experience, I much rather pay somebody and get all the upgrades done in a reasonable time... So I can finally enjoy it!

That being said, I hope to find/create a job building class B RVs in the near future!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Lenny,
I feel so bad for you. I have a 2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD. I suggest that you join the Pleasure Way yahoo group. You just need your VIN # to join. They are a wealth of knowledge just like this group.

Right now there is a guy on there now who has a 2006 PW Plateau TS who has roof problems as well. Here is his post:

My sad PW is sick. Very sick.

It started with the roof. I discovered some rust and when we finally got a stretch of dry weather, I dug in to examine it further.

Turns out the roof is way too far gone to be patched. It needs to be replaced. The underlayment (plywood) is rotten too. I was able to find a shop that could replace the roof for about $12K. Most of the cost isn't for the roof itself. It's for the labor required to remove much of the inside of the RV so a new roof can be welded on, then re-install everything.

We started down that path. We thought $12K to repair the roof, though very painful, was worth doing.

The shop got started on the work and quickly discovered more trouble. One of the first steps is to remove the front windshield. When they did this, they discovered the front "cowl" that holds the bottom edge of the windshield was also completely rusted. They tell me this caused the windshield to fall and break when they were pulling it back from the top.

They also said the windshield was not original and the cowl had become rusted because of improper sealing of the replaced windshield.

In order to replace the "cowl" the dashboard has to be removed. They don't know yet, but they may also have to remove the engine. The cowl might be integral to the firewall. They are researching this.

On a slightly more positive note, they suggested that insurance might cover the cowl as that damage was caused by a faulty windshield installation and they said they could prove it if the insurance company is willing to consider it. I've got a call into insurance, but my gut tells me this will likely not be covered.

We don't yet have a cost estimate to replace the cowl, but if they need to pull the engine and replace the firewall, the cost is likely going to be high. I could see this getting into the $20K range before all is done

So, now I'm in a real pickle. The roof has already been cut open, the windsheild is gone and the cowl needs to be replaced, so obviously the van is not in useable condition.

I'm trying to think through my options.
1) continue repairs if it can be done for no more than $20K
2) Sell for salvage (not sure how to salvage an RV, but this place looks promising LKQ Corporation | Auto Parts, Aftermarket, Recycled

Other ideas?

Corby
06 Plateau TS
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Roger,

OK...few questions.... did the coach have any service records when you purchased it.. even a CarMax report?? In 2015...it had 26,000 miles.... where was this ?? For a Class B... that's really hard to believe.... even 61,000 miles seems extremely low.....is it possible that the vehicle odometer was rolled over or something when you got it?

I don't know.. I'm skeptical of extremely low mileage on a 19 years old vehicle....

I suppose there's a screen or drape around the bathroom..is the shower there as well?

The seats along the side look "cool" .... BUT, in an accident... WELL, let me just say...I wouldn't want to be there.... you probably won't survive there....

13 MPG... maybe that's why it didn't get used as much? Is this highway mileage?? Or city mileage or an average??

On the positive side....you sure got your money's worth....if you only have $10,000 invested...I'd say it's a bargain.
Good questions, all. I'm the third owner. It lived the first 19 years of its life in Oklahoma. The first owner used it for a couple of years, and the passed away and his widow kept it out by the garage in OK for the next fourteen years. The water system wasn't drained and the water heater burst and the water pump failed. I replaced both. The second owner bought it intending to use it, but the charging system had an issue. Again it sat at his house for about 3 years under a carport. A mouse or squirrel or something had chewed through a line from the alternator... I bought it knowing that there was a problem. An auto-electric shop had that, the multi-function turn signal switch and the airbag activator all replaced in under two hours. One of the upper windows filled with gunk, and it leaked inside for years, rotting out a couple of pieces of wood that Coachmen used as trim. I replaced those. I had all of the fluids drained and replaced, new brakes, and of course new tires; did a complete tune-up and a few other things... but yes, it's actual mileage and I've put 35k on it now for the 61k total.

Mileage. Mileage is an interesting topic and, generally speaking in the motorhome world, a topic that is entirely misguided. Without going into great detail here, you can read my views on motorhome mileage here if you're interested. But 13mpg is actually pretty darned good for a Ford B-van chassis from the era. I used to have an Airstream B-van on the E-350 chassis (the Coachmen is on a heavy-3/4 ton E-250 chassis) with the 460 in it and I consistently got 7-8 mpg with that. I get better mileage than the Airstream got in my 32' Kodiak-chassis Born Free.

As far as the side seats, there are seatbelts, but I don't use the couch or dinette for anything when I'm traveling anyway. If I need forward-facing seats with seatbelts when I'm parked, I've got bigger problems anyway.

The bottom line is that for $10k total I've used the van for three years and all of the systems work, and work well... and I figure I likely saved something close to $100k over buying a newer Sprinter-chassis van. It's all old-school systems I can work on myself and all of the systems are easy to get to for maintenance.

It doesn't have an inside shower, although it has an exterior shower setup. The way I use the van, that's not a problem though. There's almost always a shower available when I need one... truck stops, campgrounds, YMCA's... you just need to know where to look. Actually NOT having a shower in a 19' van is a good thing as a shower is a LOT of wasted space, and not terribly useful anyway when you have such small freshwater and gray water tanks.

The rear dinette conversion makes for a large cargo area for hauling the dog crate, Brompton, and tool bags I carry to work on my apartments. I don't mind hauling plywood, or sheetrock, or my dogs in it. AND it's extraordinarily comfortable to drive and travel in. AND it has the good old injected 351 Windsor in it with the reliable e4OD trans.

All in all it was an extraordinarily good deal... if you can stand the interior color. But for what I have in it, I can stand it.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote