Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmobile View Post
Thanks Phoebe, you’re right about the Eco Boost logo on van rear.

We’re going to checkout 2019 CrossFit this Friday and ask about the Li3 option. The dealer has the L version a Travato to compare.
We like the Ford and the Li3 is pretty much perfect. With two Ford dealers close and my regular shop with adequate lifts we feel pretty good about the choice.

We want to check out the Revel on the short Sprinter on Friday too. Really like the advanced safety options but are wary of price, diesel, and dealership maintenance cost and availability. Not interested in Revel “mission” so much as the short Sprinter chassis.
We are currently comparing the same two models
CrossFit vs Travato
We like the size of the Travato and the rear bath which really gives it an open feel
We like the CrossFit for the beautiful cabinetry and the Ford Chasis
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #22
Silver Member

I was also looking at these 2 models. For me the Ford was way more comfortable than the Promaster although I also liked the Travato rear bath floorplan.

About a week ago I visited the Coachmen Class B Facility. At the time they were building the Galleria. All the workers looked like well seasoned pros and it showed in their work. They were very friendly and seemed happy.

I was impressed with the overall build quality. They were finishing the insulation on one coach and the job was neat and thorough, much better than I expected.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised in the Coachmen Class B factory. I ended up ordering a Crossfit.

I will be a happy day when I get rid of this Mercedes which has broke down on SEVEN straight trips, including twice on the last one.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I was also looking at these 2 models. For me the Ford was way more comfortable than the Promaster although I also liked the Travato rear bath floorplan.

About a week ago I visited the Coachmen Class B Facility. At the time they were building the Galleria. All the workers looked like well seasoned pros and it showed in their work. They were very friendly and seemed happy.

I was impressed with the overall build quality. They were finishing the insulation on one coach and the job was neat and thorough, much better than I expected.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised in the Coachmen Class B factory. I ended up ordering a Crossfit.

I will be a happy day when I get rid of this Mercedes which has broke down on SEVEN straight trips, including twice on the last one.
That sounds really good
I’m going to the Tampa Show in January where I can spend some time speaking to dealers and hopefully reps from each company
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #24
Bronze Member

I agree
I’m 6”2’ and the driver seat in stopped by the counter in the 59kl
I love the open concept of the Travato but the drive is snug compared to the CrossFit.
There is also the question of quality not only between the RV manufactures but also the vehicles themselves
Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Have you considered the 59kl?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #26
Silver Member

I did consider the KL. If it were available on a Transit I would probably own one. I have owned two Winnebago Class B And was generally satisfied.

The Transit chassis is what made me look at the Crossfit but the more I looked at the Crossfit the more impressed I became. After visiting the factory I am convinced they are better made than the units I have owned.

There is no way I could buy anything on a Promaster, I just don't fit and I will never own another Mercedes unless I lose my mind.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #27
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
I did consider the KL. If it were available on a Transit I would probably own one. I have owned two Winnebago Class B And was generally satisfied.

The Transit chassis is what made me look at the Crossfit but the more I looked at the Crossfit the more impressed I became. After visiting the factory I am convinced they are better made than the units I have owned.

There is no way I could buy anything on a Promaster, I just don't fit and I will never own another Mercedes unless I lose my mind.
That’s my dilemma as well
I wish the CrossFit had a rear bath and I wish the Travato had more driver seat room
As it stands now the CrossFit is leading
I can deal with the bathroom more then not being comfortable driving
Old 11-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #28
Bronze Member

We like the K floorplan but really want the Transit platform.
Had a good look at a brand new 22C and the drivers seat and build quality really good.

A Li3 CrossFit with a K floorplan is our van.
Wish Coachmen would revamp the floorplan.

A Canadian company, Okanagan, does do a K layout on a Transit, called the Tribute. No dual rear wheels, but this is only available in Canada.
Britmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
We like the K floorplan but really want the Transit platform.
Had a good look at a brand new 22C and the drivers seat and build quality really good.

Wish Coachmen would revamp the floorplan!
I agree
I’ve been in the CrossFit and we really loved the quality especially the cabinetry
The driver’s seat was comfortable
Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #30

Quote:

YES, exactly my thoughts!!
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #31
Sid

Default New to RV world

I am new to the forum, having just purchased a 2019 CrossFit 22D. I drove it on a short 2,000-mile trip to see family, and here are my first impressions.

The driver’s seat is very comfortable. I am 6’. I looked at Promaster chassis, and the seat was very cramped. I looked at Mercedes chassis, and the seat was almost as good as the Transit, but I do not want a Mercedes.

I got the 3.7L V-6. It has plenty of power. My first tank delivered 13mpg, but the time I had 2,000 miles on it that was up to 16.2mpg. This was while crossing the Blue Mountains here in Oregon, so I am happy with the power and fuel economy.

I did not pay for the lithium battery. The AGM’s seem to have plenty of capacity, but I did get the 200W solar, and on a sunny day the batteries will recharge faster than the lights and TV deplete, them, so no issues for me.

If I had depleted the batteries, I could use the generator, but this is my first time owning an Onan, and holy cow, what a piece of junk. Just to be clear, I am not talking about the generator part of this system, but the gas engine that drives the generator.
Loud, loud, and to top it off, it is loud. As a former motorcycle tech, and now an engineer, I wonder why Onan cannot put fuel injection, a real muffler, sound insulation, better mechanical tolerances, ect. I now it’s a money issue, but not that much. Honda does this regularly.

There is a good amount of storage and the bed and bath are plenty big. The heating system is wonderful. I was in Texas and it was cold. I turned on the furnace and set it to 70, and the RV was warm and toasty in less than 30 minutes. The thing is near silent, and it as far as I can tell it uses almost no propane. I ran it for 6 nights and level dropped by ¼ tank.

The TV is not so good. Unless you are looking directly at it, the picture quality is very bad. I have done some research and this seems to be an issue with all LCD TV’s under 22”. So, I will probably replace it with a 22”” of better quality.

I added a Verizon WiFi hotspot and a Fire TV stick. Works great, no need to for satellite, and it takes up no room.

As many have said, the driver’s seat will not swivel due to the placement of the E-brake. Nomad Vanz in Vancouver, BC, sells a kit made by Scopema that relocates the brake handle and has a seat swivel of higher quality than the standard passenger seat swivel . It is not cheap, but it is not unreasonable at $800 for both seats and the brake relocator kit. I have ordered new swivels for both driver and passenger seats and I will post on how that goes when they arrive. Of course, the question is, why didn’t it come this way? Coachmen could buy these in bulk for much less than a one off cost me.

Counter space is very limited. But the side door opening is fully open. A Revel, and maybe some other class B vans, have the side door opening partially filled by a kitchen cabinet and counter top. I see no reason why I cannot build a small cabinet mounted by the existing one and have it partially fill the side door opening. I will need to relocate the light control switches, but that is not difficult.

I would like to have some sort of ladder so I can clean the solar panels.

I guess that’s it for now. I have been road tripping for 45 years and am used to living out of a Jeep, truck, etc., for weeks at a time. I am looking forward to traveling in this thing as it will be a vast improvement.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I am new to the forum, having just purchased a 2019 CrossFit 22D.
@Sid - thanks for the review. I have a new CrossFit 22C and would concur on your observations and conclusions.

Mine doesn't have the Sync3 or steering wheel controls which I'm used to on other vehicles, and the Kenwood stereo is nothing special (buttons too small, clunky user interface).

I got just over 15mpg on a 2500 mile trip over the holidays.

My batteries are not adequate - they seem to be Duracell 105ah lead acids with marginal capacity. I hit the 12.2v cutoff if I leave the fridge or propane furnace on overnight. And because they are under the chassis, it's really tough to get at them and swap them out.

The Truma is sweet. Quiet enough to leave on all night, electric heat and hot water when you are plugged in, and propane when you are not.

The Onan noise generator happens to also produce a bit of 120v electric.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Sid and @Michael, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the review of your Transits. Don't know why there aren't more, but more are coming. Roadtrek is teasing the release of their new Haven later this month at the Tampa show.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #34
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Sid and @Michael, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the review of your Transits. Don't know why there aren't more, but more are coming. Roadtrek is teasing the release of their new Haven later this month at the Tampa show.
Like 'watt tease'?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
If I had depleted the batteries, I could use the generator, but this is my first time owning an Onan, and holy cow, what a piece of junk. Just to be clear, I am not talking about the generator part of this system, but the gas engine that drives the generator.
Loud, loud, and to top it off, it is loud. As a former motorcycle tech, and now an engineer, I wonder why Onan cannot put fuel injection, a real muffler, sound insulation, better mechanical tolerances, ect. I now it’s a money issue, but not that much. Honda does this regularly.
Welcome to the forum!

We welded a Cummins resonator to our Onan. It dropped the sound by 9-11 dBa, making the generator about 3 dBa louder than the low idle on the van engine. I was so happy about it that I wanted to add another one, but Onan tells me it will create too much back pressure.

Enjoy your new rig!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Like 'watt tease'?

Bud
Here: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...show-8630.html
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #37
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
And from that thread:

"Interesting, seems Roadtrek did something like this with the last Big rv show in California, the watt thing. Nothing since? Anyone know anything about the watt thing since it was to be for sale prior to now?"

Bud
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #38
Bronze Member

I'm in final due diligence and narrowed it down from several to the Travato and CrossFit and after sitting in the driver seat and taking a short drive the Travato is just not an option for my 6'2 frame. I drove a CrossFit the other day, which was perfect in the drivers seat. Now I am down to the Li3 package or going with the generator. My destinations are typically spread out over long distances and I like to stay at truck stops overnight. With all the talk about the generator being loud, which when I tested the one I drove it was indeed loud so I am thinking the Li3 would not bother the people around me. I like noise at night and the generator would not be an issue to me personally, but those trying to catch some shut eye around me. With my math it is a $20K upgrade for that though and new technology for the Li3, but less sound and less headache trying to get under the coach to change the oil, etc.
HawkTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTX View Post
I'm in final due diligence and narrowed it down from several to the Travato and CrossFit
I am at the same place as you. I have read where the Volta system in the Travato will run the AC 6 to 7 hours on batteries and recharging in 1.5 hrs where the Li3 will only go 3 to 4 hrs and recharging 2.5 hrs. That's where I am struggling with the decision.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #40
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I am at the same place as you. I have read where the Volta system in the Travato will run the AC 6 to 7 hours on batteries and recharging in 1.5 hrs where the Li3 will only go 3 to 4 hrs and recharging 2.5 hrs. That's where I am struggling with the decision.
Seems like the 'struggle' would be your guessing at a/c use without shore power? If none, no lithium needed. If very little, Li3. If lots, Pure 3.

Bud