Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Default Crossing Deep Water in Class B?

HI gents,

I have been the proud owner of a used majestic tourer 2 for half a year now. It's a 2010 with on board generator and house battery underneath the frame on the passenger side.

I've turned it into a wannabe sportsmobile with a lift kit and BFG AT tires from action van in San clemente, CA. I like to take it on light trails, and I have some friends with nice off road trucks.

My friends have invited me to make a run down the Mojave road trail, and if you're not familiar, there is a shallow(depending on time of year) river, crossing. I've seen lifted 2wd vans make the crossing online, but theirs were not RVs.

Do you think I'd break something important (generator, house battery, etc) if I took my van through a couple of feet of water?

I realize this is a dumb question, but I've searched the whole Internet and came up empty handed. I'd really like to join my friends, but I'll decline if my rig will be negatively impacted.

Thanks in advance.
Jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I think you need to measure your clearance and figure out what will be damaged if it gets wet.

The recent tv news of flooding in Houston made us laugh at the fools who ruined their cars driving into water rather than stopping.

The lowest electrical point on the chassis will be the starter- the genny and house battery and cabling running along the frame rails will also be weak points.
you'll want to get the chassis fully lubed before you get wet to keep water out of the front end steering gear.

My neighbor did a 4WD conversion to his PW Excel- and he runs dirt in Mexico, but he doesn;t actively look for water

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Thanks Mike,

The water can be around two feet deep if not more at the deepest part. This guarantees that I'll submerge those components you mentioned.

Personally, I don't wanna risk it... but my buddies are egging me on, saying "if youre not afraid to drive it in the rain, it'll be fine!"

I don't think they understand the scope of what's under this van.
Jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #4
Silver Member

Don't give in to peer pressure, the consequences aren't worth it. Tell your pals you'll have to pass on the trip!
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtown View Post
Don't give in to peer pressure, the consequences aren't worth it. Tell your pals you'll have to pass on the trip!
I 100% agree. There is too much to damage on a motorhome unlike a truck where you might need to replace your tail light wiring from corrosion.

A single unseen rock can take out your grey, black and fresh water tanks all at once. You could potentially damage (dent) your propane tank which would be refused for filling at most places if they saw it dented. Water could corrode your generator cabling which means pull it out and rewire. The list goes on, it's not worth it.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Essentially your van will be ruined. The floors are most likely plywood or OSB that will be soaked and buckled. All your major systems are mounted along the floor and not designed to get wet, so you'll probably lose your furnace, water pump, refrigerator and converter/charger. If your tanks are empty, they could be damaged by the pressure of water on them when submerged. And you'll lose your generator too - they are not designed to be submerged. I think it's an awful risk, so I'd advise you against this excursion.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Not as much a problem here, where crossing deep water crossings is common. Here a Trakka 4x4 Sprinter crosses a Creek
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...sbyb1he88.jpeg
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Not as much a problem here, where crossing deep water crossings is common. Here a Trakka 4x4 Sprinter crosses a Creek
Are these designed such that they are sealed well enough that no water enters any area where it would damage anything or do they use materials that will not be damaged when wet and keep systems that could be damaged out of the internal areas that do get water?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Crossing Deep Water in a B

I would pass - unless your willing to risk real damage to your vehicle to be with the gang...and they won't be paying any repairs bills. It does sound like a great trip, but not for your ride. Ron
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are these designed such that they are sealed well enough that no water enters any area where it would damage anything or do they use materials that will not be damaged when wet and keep systems that could be damaged out of the internal areas that do get water?

That is why they have a Snorkel, they are factory built 4x4's. Very, very common here to pull a trailer through a creek, or drive a Motorhome across one. Off Road experiences are pretty rare in the US and your RV's may not be suitable
Old 02-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
That is why they have a Snorkel, they are factory built 4x4's. Very, very common here to pull a trailer through a creek, or drive a Motorhome across one. Off Road experiences are pretty rare in the US and your RV's may not be suitable
Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Where is "here"?
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtown View Post
Where is "here"?
Australia. A lot of Off Road RVing.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...sas4afvtd.jpeg
Old 02-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I think the place is Acton Canyon and probably has a bypass. There are YouTube videos showing people drowning their vehicles there.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I once gave into peer pressure with my Jeep and it ended up costing me almost $400 to get a tow and the ignition system was fried. I also had another time where the water did not seem that deep so I tried to cross. I didn't know the engine air intake on my vehicle was behind the front bumper. Needless to say, once the water was up to the bumper, the engine was dead. Another almost $200 tow bill to pay. And one more thing, most vehicles have axle seals that are good for driving on roads but once water gets around the seals, water can get into the bearings. I had a Subaru and they always make them look like off road vehicles but they are not. If water gets up to the axles, the bears will get wet. Having 4 bearings changed at close to $1600 was a real kick n my wallet.

A Class B is too nice of a vehicle to take a chance. Keep it on roads.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

If you want to see some crazy river crossing videos go to the Cars Mongolia Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/goyzurag/ti...=page_internal
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Sorry. Afton Canyon. The creek crossing may not be your only problem on tge Mojave road. It is considered 4X4.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Looking at Google mapis it looks like there is no detour but you can leave your friends at Kelso, head up to Baker, come back down I 15 exit Afton Canyon then meet tgem at the Afton Canyon campground. Or visa versa depending on what direction you're doing the road.