Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default CS Adventurous Functional Check Flight

In my old life in the military one of my additional duties was functional check pilot. Anytime we got a brand new jet from the factory, or after major maintenance on an existing jet was done, an FCF pilot would first fly the aircraft and flip all the switches and test it out to make sure the aircraft performed properly before releasing it to the rest of the squadron to fly. We weren't test pilots or engineers (I certainly wasn't) -- we just followed a checklist made by smart people.

If one doesn't already exist, I'd like to make a checklist to test out factory released CS Adventurous. What items should be tested and how to make sure the rig is good before accepting the unit from the lot and prior to driving too far away from the dealer?

What items should be included in this test?

I think I would divide it into two parts. Things you can do at the dealer's lot and things you'd have to do after driving it off the lot but while staying fairly close by.

On the Lot:

1. Flip all the switches and make sure things that turn on do. Lights, inverters, batteries, water pump -- check faucets, check 110 outlets

2. Test microwave, induction stove, Alde instant hot

3. Find lowest charged battery module (should be less than ? volts), turn on inverter, start the van to test GU charges up that module

4. Pour water along with RV toilet paper into toilet and flush to make sure that works

5. Pour water into shower drain to make sure it drains into gray tank

6. Turn on the fan and the air conditioning

7. Visual inspection

Anything else to add to the list above? After doing this, accept it from the dealer and then drive to a campground with an electrical plugin for more testing

At campground with shore power:

1. Check to see all batteries fully charged -- if not put on shore power until they are fully charged

2. Disconnect from shore power, flip on a battery module, note its voltage, run the A/C and time how long it takes to run down -- repeat for all battery modules

3. While waiting on battery modules to run down, connect to camp water supply, fill up the toilet with 10 gallons of water and RV toilet paper while noting level rise

4. While waiting on battery modules to run down, fill up gray tank with water and note level rise

5. Dump black and gray tanks to check for proper operation

6. After testing battery drain times, start the van to check GU charges a battery module and test out Alde underfloor heat

7. Check solar panel output to confirm 600W of power (not sure how best to do this)

8. Connect to shore power to check charging time of another battery module

9. Drive out and back (perhaps to dealer if there are issues) to check GU charging of all batteries -- driving roughly 45 minutes per depleted battery to ensure it charges all batteries up

10. Return to the dealer with any issues to be fixed

Anything to add, any way to make this jello checklist better?
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A water flow meter will allow you to confirm both fresh and waste tank capacities: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post30647

You might find the battery charts in these posts: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post49505 - to be interesting. They show something like 4 tenths of a volt difference between 90% and 20% SOC.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
A water flow meter will allow you to confirm both fresh and waste tank capacities: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post30647

You might find the battery charts in these posts: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post49505 - to be interesting. They show something like 4 tenths of a volt difference between 90% and 20% SOC.
Outstanding, thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member

There are several delivery checklists in the files section of the Roadtrek unofficial Facebook page. I posted an Excel checklist I used for delivery and it was very helpful to make sure I tested all systems. I did not check capacities of tanks however. One of the things that was helpful for me was to check the appliances under different scenarios (e.g. Plugged in, battery only, underhood generator). Also we ran the heat and heated up the van and then ran the AC to cool it down to ensure they both run long and well enough to actually change the temp. Depends how crazy you want to get with this stuff but we tested all cabinet latches, hinges, etc. etc. anyway hope that helps.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Put some water in the FW tank. Run the pump to fill the water lines. Then turn off the valves but keep the pump on. Check to see that it doesn't run or cycle. Otherwise might indicate a leak.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Those additions are gold. Thanks fellas.