Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Dash Cover

I am considering getting a dash cover for my Chevy Express van 2006 Roadtrek 210. The present dash has a silver painted dash section that reflects light enough to be bothersome at times. The Coverking Dashmat has mostly good reviews though it sounds like they have had some quality issues recently.

So does anyone with experience with a dash cover?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I just installed a Cover King on my '00 Express van about a week ago. Fit and finish is good. I went a medium-ish brown, wish that I went for more of a Moca. The lighter colors tend to wash out the windshield view when it is bright out.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I just installed a Cover King on my '00 Express van about a week ago. Fit and finish is good. I went a medium-ish brown, wish that I went for more of a Moca. The lighter colors tend to wash out the windshield view when it is bright out.
So darker is better?

Coverking makes several types. Is yours the carpet style?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just talked to Coverking and for better glare reduction they recommended the darker Smoke color instead of the lighter grey that I was considering.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I will have to try to dig out what brand it is, but we got one a few years ago after a trip where the dash reflections off the tan dash were terrible. I looked at essentially all brands, IIRC, and only found one that had a low glare touted unit. It is a black suede like material and works very well. My old Buick came with a dark blue polyester that reflects nearly as bad as the van dash did, which is kind of surprising.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
So darker is better?

Coverking makes several types. Is yours the carpet style?
It's a brushed type carpet, not looped.

I recently purchased a black one for our Soul, every piece of lint shows, but no glare.

So far, I don't dislike the medium brown(I guess a saddle brown?) enough to replace. A long upcoming trip may change my mind, however.

Fitment on both was pretty easy though the Soul was a bit fiddly cuz of the dash design.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I think this is the one, but I can't find the receipt for it, which is odd for me.

Dash Designs in black brushed suede.

https://www.dashdesigns.com/i-315858...ash-cover.html
Old 05-24-2019, 01:29 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I use a black one in a class C. Ford E-450. Wouldn't have it any other color.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:15 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Got my dash cover for my 2007 RT Versatile from CARID.COM.
Also got seatcovers and window window deflectors from them

RAA
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:02 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think this is the one, but I can't find the receipt for it, which is odd for me.

Dash Designs in black brushed suede.

https://www.dashdesigns.com/i-315858...ash-cover.html
I went to Booster's link and can recommend the Charcoal gray. It's the medium gray and what I have. Approximates the factory medium gray dash. Does not create any windshield glare.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:08 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I went to Booster's link and can recommend the Charcoal gray. It's the medium gray and what I have. Approximates the factory medium gray dash. Does not create any windshield glare.

Did you get it in brushed suede?

If this is where I got it, and I think it is, I called them and they said the brushed suede was the best for reflections and black the best color, which is what we have found.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

All dash covers I have purchased were gray for cooler inside temperatures. I have not noticed any reflections onto the windshield and the front of car & RV stay cooler. Black absorbs heat from the sun.

MLogan
2017 Trend & Smart Car
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
All dash covers I have purchased were gray for cooler inside temperatures. I have not noticed any reflections onto the windshield and the front of car & RV stay cooler. Black absorbs heat from the sun.

MLogan
2017 Trend & Smart Car
Smyrna, TN

I think a lot of it depends on the particular dash shape. The Chevy van is just the right angle, it appears to light up the windshield. My old Buick is similar, but other cars we have had are not.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Did you get it in brushed suede?

If this is where I got it, and I think it is, I called them and they said the brushed suede was the best for reflections and black the best color, which is what we have found.
I purchased off Amazon so I can't say if it was this exact company. My comment was more on the color, since the Charcoal in your link seems to match the color Charcoal we have. You'd think Charcoal would be very dark, but it is just a nice medium gray and hits the sweet spot for us. Light enough to not absorb heat from the sun and yet dark enough to not reflect glare on the windshield.

Ours is just the "carpet" material. Looks good enough and keeps the dash cooler. But I had to cut the velcro "hooks" tab off the windshield suncreen I was using or else it caught the carpet material like it was the velcro "loop" side every time the tab made contact.

At my time of purchase, I was not even aware of the "brushed suede" option.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I purchased off Amazon so I can't say if it was this exact company. My comment was more on the color, since the Charcoal in your link seems to match the color Charcoal we have. You'd think Charcoal would be very dark, but it is just a nice medium gray and hits the sweet spot for us. Light enough to not absorb heat from the sun and yet dark enough to not reflect glare on the windshield.

Ours is just the "carpet" material. Looks good enough and keeps the dash cooler. But I had to cut the velcro "hooks" tab off the windshield suncreen I was using or else it caught the carpet material like it was the velcro "loop" side every time the tab made contact.

At my time of purchase, I was not even aware of the "brushed suede" option.

Dark is going to be better for reflection in almost all cases, but gloss or matt also is a very big deal. I think that is where the brushed suede came in. I contacted most of the cover manufacturers and they were kind of non-committal on the reflections, usually just saying they will be better. On the trip where we had all the trouble with reflections, we had stopped at Walmart and bought a chunk of black suede to lay on the dash which really helped, so we kind of knew about what we looking for. The bright lights of Walmart were good for checking for reflectivity, I think.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #16
Bronze Member

We always bought dash cover when bought new vehicle. Our 1993 pickup still has that cover! I think black might be best, least reflection. Everything else wears out but dash is good! Yes, lint on black but vacuums off easily. Or a sticky roller.
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #17

I used the gray and wish also that I had used a darker color on my 08C190P. (Express van/Roadtrek)
WilmaKerr is offline   Reply With Quote