Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default death to diesel...! ( death by diesel?)

With the emissions and the shenanigans committed by major manufacturers and the lack of a price advantage...diesel is not doing so well.

One part of London is going to try charging diesel vehicles an extra 50% to park...ongoing effort to try moving people to cleaner wheels.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tion-emissions

Some of our B's are based on European models- and if they get re-engineered...so will ours.

Mike

mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
Gold Member

Not with Trump as president. Trump is going to slash the EPA. He already put a muzzle on them from posting anything on the internet.

Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:03 AM   #3
Platinum Member

At first blush, it appears to be contradictory. Tax policy in the UK actually encourages diesel cars over gasoline cars.

Most people drive diesels as it's a lot cheaper.

What the parking fees are trying to do is encourage electric cars in the center. They already charge hefty tolls as it is, but it's very crowded still.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Rumor has it that Mercedes is going to make a gasser van again in the US. I don't know how true that is, but it is interesting.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Now that diesels have emission systems, their costs to drive are not all that less than gassers, which have been getting more and more efficient pretty quickly. I don't think it will be long before the only real difference in mileage will be the amount of the difference in heat capacity of diesel over gas, as the thermal efficiency will be essentially the same.

Perhaps MB is figuring that out, or maybe the US public is losing interest in diesels as the gassers get better.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Perhaps MB is figuring that out, or maybe the US public is losing interest in diesels as the gassers get better.
IMO, the pertinent factors are fuel and maintenance/repair costs and on both counts it seems like diesel is losing the race. Even the Chevy V8 gets 15-16 while the Mercedes gets, what, 18-19? Assuming fuel cost per gallon to be around the same, you'd have to drive an awful lot of miles to benefit very much. The maintenance/repair contest is a no brainer. The cost for a servicing and a gasser is almost chump change compared to the hosing you get from Mercedes.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #7
Platinum Member

It would be nice if they put the Metris or similar gas engine in the Srpinter body. I would totally buy one over a diesel if it were cheaper.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
It would be nice if they put the Metris or similar gas engine in the Srpinter body. I would totally buy one over a diesel if it were cheaper.
The Fit RV has done an analysis of the pros and cons of diesels and gassers.

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/gas-...d-my-thoughts/
Old 02-07-2017, 03:22 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The Fit RV has done an analysis of the pros and cons of diesels and gassers.

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/gas-...d-my-thoughts/
I have seen that info thank you. My issue is I can't fit in the Promaster driver seat and get comfortable. The Sprinter is perfect so a gas Sprinter would be great. Until then it's diesel for us.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
I have seen that info thank you. My issue is I can't fit in the Promaster driver seat and get comfortable. The Sprinter is perfect so a gas Sprinter would be great. Until then it's diesel for us.
There are a sufficient number of anecdotal reports criticizing the Promaster seats that something is not quite right with them. I know some complaints involved being unable to plant your feet on the floor. What specific flaws did you experience? Is it just the seat and its dimensions or is the positioning of the seat with respect to the steering wheel and pedals also involved? Are the seats in the RV vans structurally and functionally different from those in the standard commercial vans? Does the passenger seat exhibit the same problem?