Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 02:47 AM   #21
Platinum Member

'm lucky enough to haven't needed to take out a loan for a car or a mortgage in 25 years... I buy low mileage 2 -3 year old cars and keep them until around 100,000 miles.. I also haven't been a high mileage driver for 20 years (under 9k a year). I haven't bought my Roadtrek yet, but i'm looking for a 2011 - 2014 210P under 40,000 miles and will pay cash..

Then I will no longer be a low-mileage driver..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Default 10 years and maybe 45,000 miles???

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yes, brand new, model year old 2007 C190P with a sticker of $77K+ with options. It had been on the lot a while (bought in fall 200 and Roadtrek was dumping the dealer, so $58K with only delivery miles on it We had allotted nearly that much for finding a nice used one, so there was no question on getting the new one.

We are mid 40K miles now, as the early years we were still working, and "stuff" just seems to come up every time we try to get out. Our 2 month, 7500 mile, planned spring trip got cut short to 1 month and 6K miles because we had to get home due to a friends serious illness.
Yes, I don't think you are using your Roadtrek very much.... aside from "working years" which I certainly understand.... what's going on now ??

In my opinion...time is way more important than mileage...the fact that you're NOT using your vehicle more means that the overall cost per mile is much higher .......time like miles has a negative effect on vehicles........

A vehicle with ultra low mileage is NOT worth more than a newer vehicle with the same or even higher mileage....

I hope you will utilitze your Roadtrek more....can you please post a picture of the vehicle, inside and out...

Are you planning on keeping this another 10 years or are you thinking about a later model??
Insurance and registration is lower with older vehicles...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Default It's better to be lucky than good.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
'm lucky enough to haven't needed to take out a loan for a car or a mortgage in 25 years... I buy low mileage 2 -3 year old cars and keep them until around 100,000 miles.. I also haven't been a high mileage driver for 20 years (under 9k a year). I haven't bought my Roadtrek yet, but i'm looking for a 2011 - 2014 210P under 40,000 miles and will pay cash..

Then I will no longer be a low-mileage driver..
OKAY...so far you have been fortunate over the last 25 years..... maybe it will continue..
Let me ask you this.. where do you get these 2 to 3: years old cars?? Lease returns?
If you do... that's a great technique....

Do you purchase these 2 or 3 years old cars as "certified pre-owned cars"?
Do you pay cash or finance them??

My last car was a four year old Subaru Outback Limited ..cost me $23,500...

I think you are going to find it "VERY DIFFICULT" to find a 2011 to 2014 model around 40,000 miles....I'm not saying it's impossible...my 2012 RS Adventurous in 2017 had 26,000 miles.....I'm sure one of the reasons I paid what I did was partly because of the low mileage....and being 5 years old.., but mostly 5 years old.... Age is a key factor in the value of vehicles...

Why don't you tell us what price point you think you'll have to pay..... I'll bet it is much lower than it probably will be.... with the 2014 model the most expensive...

Lastly, why not keep your cars or the RV should be the benchmark for getting rid of your vehicles?? They don't automatically start to destruct at 100,000 miles.... especially if they are well maintained....

In fact, modern technology and newer vehicles typically last 200,000 miles or more for gasoline engines and even longer for diesel engines...some up to 350,000 miles or more...

It's entirely possible that my Sprinter engine will last longer than me!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Yes, I don't think you are using your Roadtrek very much.... aside from "working years" which I certainly understand.... what's going on now ??

In my opinion...time is way more important than mileage...the fact that you're NOT using your vehicle more means that the overall cost per mile is much higher .......time like miles has a negative effect on vehicles........

A vehicle with ultra low mileage is NOT worth more than a newer vehicle with the same or even higher mileage....

I hope you will utilitze your Roadtrek more....can you please post a picture of the vehicle, inside and out...

Are you planning on keeping this another 10 years or are you thinking about a later model??
Insurance and registration is lower with older vehicles...

It would have been nice to get in more travel since I retired 5 years ago, but life gets in the way sometimes, and some issues can be multiyear needs to be home, so no regrets.

We have spent a decade getting our van setup the way we want it, and will likely never live long enough to need another, as it does most everything the way like it now. Cost at this point is not even a consideration in that decision.

This forum has tons of our pix on it, so there really is no need to garbage up other discussions by posting the same old pix over and over again for folks who have already seen more than they probably would like to already
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #25
Site Team

The difference between "cash people" and "credit people" reduces to this:
Cash people take a few extra years to achieve a given level of consumption. Credit people pay 20% more for that level.

Take your pick.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Default I agree...but your numbers are too low

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Cash people take a few extra years to achieve a given level of consumption. Credit people pay 20% more for that level.

Take your pick.
As a point of information.... I would have paid more than 72 percent more with financing over 20 years...

And that was on a total purchase price of $87,500 with sales tax and registration.....

I don't know where you got the 20 percent number...???
Old 08-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #27
Bronze Member

I paid cash for our new Travato. Don’t like making payments on anything.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I think the 20 percent number is assuming an interest rate around 4 percent and a 10 year loan. Run the numbers yourself, the total 10 year interest cost works out to right at 20 percent.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #29
Site Team

I made up the 20%--my statement was an aphorism.

But, it is about right. You have to be careful not to conflate the present and future values of money. This will vary with the economy.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I understand.... you didn't pay close to 100k....
I have gotten a 100k of enjoyment out of them though.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

Take your pick.
As a generality this certainly rings true but this equation can be affected by unpredictable events. For example, until eliminated by Congress, folks that itemized deductions on their tax returns benefited from a tax deductible expense that lowered their effective interest rate and the cost of that credit by 25% or more.

Also, this equation is affected by the state of the economy during the period of the loan. If the loan period coincides with recession or depression years, meeting debt obligations is a difficult endeavor when the equities market is crashing and cash is king. For example, if the loan period was between 2002 - 2009, the draconian losses in the equities market would would produce a dismal financial bottom line. But if the same loan was taken from 2011 - 2018, the rising equities market compounded by low interest could produce returns from an index fund that would easily outstrip the cost of consumer credit during that period.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Paid cash for our 2017 Roadtrek. Sold her BMW to CarMax for $30K so that surely assisted and went to 1-car. Couldn't finance something that depreciates.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Default Sold BMW??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Paid cash for our 2017 Roadtrek. Sold her BMW to CarMax for $30K so that surely assisted and went to 1-car. Couldn't finance something that depreciates.

Must have been some BMW.....you went to one vehicle ...the Agile????
Old 08-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Cash. We've gotten into the habit of not financing vehicles.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Must have been some BMW.....you went to one vehicle ...the Agile????
We live and work in down-town Tampa. Small city and can walk to most everything including groceries. We are fortunate and it pushed the decision "over-the-edge" for us. We typically use it once a week.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Default Insurance??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
We live and work in down-town Tampa. Small city and can walk to most everything including groceries. We are fortunate and it pushed the decision "over-the-edge" for us. We typically use it once a week.
If we only had one vehicle... the RV the insurance company would kill us financially.....
Old 08-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #37
Gold Member

The person paid in cash for RVs are really great!
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #38
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
The person paid in cash for RVs are really great!
Huh? Please explain.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I am simply Old School. I never discuss my personal finances with anyone and certainly not with strangers. The old French derived word "gauche" comes to mind. To each his own. The fact that I have operated in fiduciary capacities for fifty years probably explains my reluctance.
Not having worked in fiduciary capacities I still think the word gauche is a perfect description.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #40
BBQ
Platinum Member

He who dies owing the most money, wins.

:-d