Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,161
Default Diesel vs. Gasoline.....will the diesel engine outive you?

Read this article.... diesel is NOT dead, contrary to what many people think....

For those of us who are diesel owners....its the emissions system that has me most concerned.... the base engine is fine......

Are you happy you chose diesel and WHY???


https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/d...oline-engines/
__________________

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 16
Default

That reference states

"Audi, Volkswagen, and Porsche all confirmed they won’t sell another diesel in the United States, and Mercedes-Benz has given up on the segment entirely."

Untrue!?
__________________

TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Gold Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 95
Default

My last four cars, including my current Audi Q7 3.0 TDI, have been diesels; and this last one, even after the VW diesel "fix" to the engine and drivetrain is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

I currently have a Sprinter RV conversion on order for delivery in 2019. I would not own a vehicle of that weight without a diesel power plant.

One BIG Caveat! Do not follow the 20,000 mile oil change interval unless you want it to have an early demise. This is especially true with all the biodiesel being perpetuated and promoted by the swamp in Washington.
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,394
Default

1) The EU is determined to kill diesel. Without that market, it will quickly die
2) The current generation of emissions systems is a train wreck. There is no reason to believe that it will ever get better.

Diesel will suffer a long, slow pathetic death, but it most certainly is dying.


I will never purchase another diesel vehicle if I have any reasonable alternative.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
One BIG Caveat! Do not follow the 20,000 mile oil change interval unless you want it to have an early demise.
I know of no evidence whatsoever that this is true.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
Gold Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I know of no evidence whatsoever that this is true.
Because you know of no evidence whatsoever, does this guarantee that there is none?

I could link you to some, but it's obvious that your mind is already made up. Where I come from that's called "contempt prior to investigation".
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,161
Default This is simply NOT TRUE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
"Audi, Volkswagen, and Porsche all confirmed they won’t sell another diesel in the United States, and Mercedes-Benz has given up on the segment entirely."

?
Mercedes Benz still sells the diesel Sprinter in the USA.

https://www.trucks.com/2018/09/06/mercedes-benz-launches-production-sprinter-van/
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 16
Default

Some might say that the EU is dying and that they will fail all their utopian dreams.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,487
Default

Gas engines still have some room to grow https://spectrum.ieee.org/transporta...nal-combustion
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Mercedes Benz still sells the diesel Sprinter in the USA.

https://www.trucks.com/2018/09/06/me...-sprinter-van/

Yep. We all know that.

The reference is in error.

So, what else are they wrong about?
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,161
Default OKAY... what interval are you following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
My last four cars, including my current Audi Q7 3.0 TDI, have been diesels; and this last one, even after the VW diesel "fix" to the engine and drivetrain is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

I currently have a Sprinter RV conversion on order for delivery in 2019. I would not own a vehicle of that weight without a diesel power plant.

One BIG Caveat! Do not follow the 20,000 mile oil change interval unless you want it to have an early demise. This is especially true with all the biodiesel being perpetuated and promoted by the swamp in Washington.
My 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter is on a 10,000 miles interval... which I follow... And, my mechanic questioned the 20,000 miles interval..... despite the fact that some enthusiastic people will argue that all day.... you know who you are.....

I think 10,000 miles is perfect.... I agree with that....

Mercedes Benz kept raising the mileage intervals.... first to 15,000 then 20,000... they say that they've done an analysis... could be??? Safer at 10,000.....

Besides... once per year regardless of miles.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,161
Default If you think diesel is going away.... I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
1) The EU is determined to kill diesel. Without that market, it will quickly die
2) The current generation of emissions systems is a train wreck. There is no reason to believe that it will ever get better.

Diesel will suffer a long, slow pathetic death, but it most certainly is dying.


I will never purchase another diesel vehicle if I have any reasonable alternative.
Recently met a master diesel mechanic... let me tell you the death of the diesel engine is greatly exaggerated.....

I asked him about DEF....he said that DEF is one of the greatest single things to come to diesel engines in years... they gave diesel back its power, eliminated black smoke and are environmentally friendly..

All this talk about the diesel engine destroying the environment is nonsense... they're referring to old diesels... completely different story.....

Diesel engines for extremely heavy duty vehicles will definitely be here in my lifetime... for another 30 to 50 years....... especially big rig trucks... diesel pusher RVs....
Yes, electric engines are out there...no range except for local deliveries.

If you have actual facts.... which I don't think you do.. please let me know
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
What is the error?
What I quoted from the citation.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
Some might say that the EU is dying and that they will fail all their utopian dreams.
Couldn’t resist a political twist, for your information this is B-Class forum.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,161
Default Yeah George... I have a Class B Diesel Sprinter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Couldn’t resist a political twist, for your information this is B-Class forum.
What's your problem????
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #16
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I think 10,000 miles is perfect.... I agree with that....

Mercedes Benz kept raising the mileage intervals.... first to 15,000 then 20,000... they say that they've done an analysis... could be??? Safer at 10,000.....
.
Model T OCIs were 500 miles, then 1,000. I think 1,000 that would be perfect for Sprinters. 500 would be safer, though.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Model T OCIs were 500 miles, then 1,000. I think 1,000 that would be perfect for Sprinters. 500 would be safer, though.
I change my oil and filter every 10,000 miles. It is cheap insurance and more logical than 20,000 miles. I can even do it myself in about 20 minutes and for about $100 if I watch for the correct oil on sale and stock up.

I also replace the fuel filter every 10,000 miles or so which may be even more important with more and more biodiesels. My Freighliner dealers will do this for about $200 which is a bargain about once a year.

I also go to my dentist and doctor for occasional preventative checkups. This seems like all common sense stuff to me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #18
Gold Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 95
Default

This guy is overly verbose and is trolling for money, but a lot of what he says and recommends is worth following:

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Because you know of no evidence whatsoever, does this guarantee that there is none?

I could link you to some, but it's obvious that your mind is already made up. Where I come from that's called "contempt prior to investigation".
avanti asked YOU of evidence, simple question. Do you since avanti does not know of any, me either.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #20
Gold Member
 
DUTCH in Atlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
avanti asked YOU of evidence, simple question. Do you since avanti does not know of any, me either.

Bud
He didn't ask. He just stated that there is none.

See my most recent post for a link of interest. Follow some of the recommendations or not. It's up to you and ymmv.
__________________

DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×