Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Difference between B250 and B350?

Mid nineties Dodge. Maxi vans.

What are the structural differences between a B250 and a B350? Is it roughly 500lbs carrying weight difference?

You can have the same motors.

Are the differences suspension, axles, rims and tires?

Is the frame actually different as well?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Difference between B250 and B350?

Soooo many questions, grasshopper.
The wisdom you seek is neither simple nor brief.....
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/b-vans.html

I haven't read the whole page, but I have a feeling the secrets of all things
regarding Mopar vans are in it somewhere.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

The Allpar history was very interesting. However, the 127 in. WB is not long enough for safe rear loading that is typical for BVan RV’s. The 140 in. WB of other manufactures is average, for better front weight bias. All weights such as batteries, water tanks, canned goods, cabinetry or storage, should be as forward as possible when packing or planning mounting locations.

Most of us using the Dodge chassis will want the B3500 1-ton rating, especially if the maxivan extended rear is used. The 1-ton option included rear axel, springs, brakes and wheels with HD 5/8 inch lugs, but there were no chassis changes. The 1-ton rear axel was taken from the DualTire truck parts bin. While it has the load rating, it is narrower than the B2500 3/4ton. The rear track is now 4 inches narrower than the front, creating an unstable rear bias if loaded. Many RV manufacturers were either adding HD 2 inch rear wheel spacers or even using small dual tires.

Using 2 inch steel spacers for 5/8 inch lugs were heavy and would not always run true. Instead, I had special HD wheels made by Stockton Wheel Service of California. Using a custom offset 2 inches greater than stock, it equalized the F/R tracks. I also changed from Michelin LTX M/S tires to Yokohoma Geolander. The stiffer side walls of the Yokohomas have far less body sway. Lastly, I installed a Hellwig HD rear anti-sway bar. I’m very pleased with the results and highly recommend them to all B3500 owners for safety and far superior handling.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #4

Orca, do you have the part number for the Hellwig? The only ones I find say they won't work with the big gas tank. (Mine is 1997 1-ton with 35 gallon tank.)
Also, it appears that Stockton Wheel is in limbo -- their web site says the owner died, and they're sorting things out.
exilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #5

Exilio, My efforts were 5 years ago, but I doubt things have changed on the older Dodges. Mine was also a 97 B3500 Sportsmobile and I would guess that I used the standard Hellwig 7513, as mine was also the 35 gal tank. Currently I’m seeing it available online every where, even Amazon. I did use longer endlink bolts to improve the angularity with the bar, ideally 90 degrees.
Sadly, Stockton Wheel will take awhile to recover. But I hope not too long as there is quite a following and variety of wheel choices, as you will see when the web site is back. In the mean time, use this link: http://www.stocktonwheel.com/featured_wheels.htm as the home page is locked.
I used the Power Wagon II - 24 Series, spec’d to stock 16x7, 8-lug 5/8 size with 90 degree counter-sync. They flipped the rim around to get the backspacing 2 inches greater than stock. This allowed the 245/75x16E Yokohoma tires easy fender clearance. I used the stock wheels up front and now the F/R tracks are the same.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #6

many thanks...
Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #7

In Photog's long thread about his suspensions tweaks ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1616&start=90 ) he says the generator has to be moved back 2" to get the Hellwig sway bar to fit -- but in that thread they're talking about a 2009 Chevy Roadtrek.

Orca, you say your mod was to a Sportsmobile. My Dodge is a 1997 Roadtrek 190V. Anyone know if I'll have to move the generator to install the Hellwig?

I can't do the work myself, and there's only shop in my tiny town that will do the wheels as Orca suggests, plus the Hellwig. Trouble is, they say that if they order the sway bar and it doesn't fit, I'm stuck with it. (To add insult to injury, they want $326 for a Hellwig that I think I could get on Amazon for $234.)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #8

As much as I would prefer to support the business with a retail swaybar sale, it will be better for you to get it yourself. Amazon is free shipping and will take it back, but I don’t know about reshipping costs. Still, it’s cheaper than being stuck with it.
I found more bar/tank info: “Fits models without large capacity fuel tank, large fuel tanks extend rearward past rear shock brackets.” Check your van. Hellwig Tech Help can also answer the question.

Sorry, I didn’t have a generator. So I can’t speak to that fit question. But relocating a generator is not a simple task. Do you have confidence in your mechanic to take this on, if needed? You might want to have a RV shop take this project on as they are experienced with all of the above. Get the bar, check the fit and if necessary, make this your next ‘big city outing’.

I’m glad but surprised your shop can do the wheels. Are they getting new custom offset wheels or are they going to use your original centers and replace the rims? If so, make sure they use a HD 3000# rated truck rim.
One step a time and persevere.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exilio
In Photog's long thread about his suspensions tweaks ( http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 6&start=90 ) he says the generator has to be moved back 2" to get the Hellwig sway bar to fit -- but in that thread they're talking about a 2009 Chevy Roadtrek............
The reason for moving the generator, is because Roadtrek mounted the generator so close to the rear axle. Then they ran the generator exhaust between the generator and the axle. This leaves no space for the swaybar.

There can be a couple solutions:
1) Re-rout the exhaust, and check to see if the swaybar will fit.
2) Adjust how the generator is mounted, to gain an extra inch, and see if the swaybar will fit.

If you read the thread about my suspension, you can see that Booster & I used different approaches to the swaybar issue. They both work. I really like Booster's solution.

On my van, the swaybar we added is a Ford part. Advanced 4WD, in Salt Lake City, added the necessary brackets, to mount the swaybar, and leave clearance for the generator. I plan to have the generator exhaust re-routed, and then have the swaybar mounts changed, to tuck it up higher.

If you have a Dodge, their rear overhang is much larger than the current Chevy's. You may have plenty of room for the swaybar.

Drive your van down to a junkyard, take a few measurements across your frame, then go into the junkyard and see if any of the factory swaybars will fit. You might have to go out and measure your van again, as you learn what fits where. Then just have the fab shop make the necessary mounts, and install the swaybar. If that does not work, you will learn how things fit, and you should be able to choose the correct Hellwig swaybar for your van.

One last point: The swaybar ends do not have to mount forward of the axle. It works just as well, to have the ends pointed to the rear. You just need to have a swaybar with the right shape, so the bar does not interfere with the drive shaft (large curve in the middle of the bar).
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote