Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 01:28 AM   #1

Default Direct TV Solutions for Class B

We have a Roadtrek Adventurous and planning a trip from CA to Norheastern Canada down the eastern seaboard by mid summer this year. Interested in the Winegard Carryout G2 with a Dir TV compatible receiver. I noted Winegard does not recommend a hard drive type DVR because of heat and vibe impact. Anyone have experience with this mobile portable solution? Hope to have TV traveling with us for this trip. Appreciate any input.
Barry883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Direct TV Solutions for Class B

I think you'd have better luck here

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... rum/38.cfm
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Barry,

I've been using the Dish Tailgater with my trailer. I'm really happy with it. The subscription is month-to-month with no contract. So you can call them and turn it off when you are not traveling. The dish is HD, automatic and self aiming, you just set it on the ground and push the button.

The cool thing about the reciever, is you can make it a DVR by just attaching one of those pocket hard drives and enabling the feature in the reciever's menu. I believe there is a modest fee to Dish to turn it the feature.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

wincrasher: Do you need a US address to use the Dish pay as you go service, or do they care? Where or what is the easiest place or way to get it for us folks here in Canuckistan? Looking for simplicity of process, in acquiring it.

We've been thinking of getting a US based sat service for future trips to the USA, but our Shaw Direct rig still works down south, as far as I know, but I haven't tried it in over a year. I'd like to get an automatic dish system for Shaw Direct, but I was told by the manufacturers, like Winegard and King Controls/VuQube, that the internal paddle dishes in the domed automatic tail gating units weren't big enough, or sensitive enough, to work farther south than a few hundred miles from the border. I was suspicious that it might possibly be propaganda to discourage cross border usage. We usually spend most of our time in the 4 corners area, or up and down the eastern side of the Rockies, so signal coverage could be an issue. Just wondering if you have any pro/con experience.

Good trick adding the external HD to make the receiver a DVR.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm not sure on the address thing. It would probably be easier if you could "borrow" an address.

I bought the hardware on Amazon.

To enable the advice, you call Dish and they take your credit card number and set it up. Monthly is billed to your card. I'm pretty sure the card mailing address and your account address have to match.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I'm not sure on the address thing. It would probably be easier if you could "borrow" an address.

I bought the hardware on Amazon.

To enable the advice, you call Dish and they take your credit card number and set it up. Monthly is billed to your card. I'm pretty sure the card mailing address and your account address have to match.
Thanks.
Dang. Guess we'll have to keep that in mind. Maybe ShawD will keep their signal a little broader for a while longer and it won't be an issue.